Huge Sounding SG

simple

Staff member
WSG2.jpg

WSG3.jpg

Extra Light 1 piece mahogany body (Painted black)
Gotoh 510 Bridge
Rio Grande BBQ bridge pickup
Seymour Duncan Jazz neck pickup
24 3/4 conversion Mahogany LP neck with Black Ebony fingerboard (Painted Black)
Celtic Cross Inlay with extra inlay on the first fret (have to ask for it)
Pearloid Neck Binding
Standard Thin contour
Graphite Nut
White Pearl truss rod cover and pickguard
1 5/8 Nut width
10" Straight Radius
Stainless Steel 6105 Frets
Schaller Locking Tuners w/Hipshot string de-tuner

This is the thickest sounding SG you've ever heard! Partly because of the Rio Grande BBQ pickup and partly because the body is thicker than a traditional SG. It has awesome tone and plays oh so nice!

Thats One seriously Wicked looking SG, ............EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  hheheheheheeheheh...........

I couldn't resist.  I had to color correct that shot a little.  Oh well, that's part of what I do for a living...play with Photoshop.  This one isn't so blue.

WSG2.jpg

WOW!!!  that is soo much better, Man!   I Love this guitar, this may be the one that sells me to build an SG next, its so damn tough looking, like it has Teeth...........nice guitar Greg, must be hard to pick which one to play over there.....sweet!   :kewlpics:

Nice job correcting the pic, WMHOLP!!!!!!

I miss my SG, but only for the radical looks.  '71 was not the greatest of years for Gibson.  I could never get a decent tone of the bridge pickup.  Those BBQ buckers would be a radical choice for an SG.  I'd love to hear what they sound like.  I've never played on A5 magnet humbuckers.  Anyway, this thing was sacrificed (sold) to build my Warmoth LP project.

sg_1.jpg

WMHOLP said:
I couldn't resist.  I had to color correct that shot a little.  Oh well, that's part of what I do for a living...play with Photoshop.  This one isn't so blue.

WSG2.jpg

Cool, thanks! That guitar really isn't much for the blues.  :laughing7:

I bet it does great for "Austin" blues with attitude.  I've heard great things about that Rio Grande BBQ bucker, but have never actually heard one.  If I ever get the funds for another Warmoth build, it would probably be an SG very similar to yours with the BBQ in the bridge.  The A5 mag might be just what the my old SG needed.  I understand the Gibby Angus Young signature bucker is also an A5.

WMHOLP said:
I bet it does great for "Austin" blues with attitude.  I've heard great things about that Rio Grande BBQ bucker, but have never actually heard one.  If I ever get the funds for another Warmoth build, it would probably be an SG very similar to yours with the BBQ in the bridge.  The A5 mag might be just what the my old SG needed.  I understand the Gibby Angus Young signature bucker is also an A5.
The last pickup buying spree was to buy multiples of BBQs and fit them in most of my live guitars. They sound different in every guitar which I think is good, in that it brings out the character of the guitar. It's always fun to try the lastest and greatest though so I'm always listening about other pickups. My only hesitation is that I found a good thing and don't really want to mess with it if you know what I mean. Everyone I have turned on to the BBQ really likes it. I think Rio Grande would get more mileage out of their marketing if they changed the name though!  :laughing7:

Does the so called pickguard on your SG, does it cover a hole or something?

If I build. I mean when i build an SG, I want it to look just like yours, only without a pickguard, I guess I will have to have it rear routed to avoid putting the cheap plastic on. I bet it playes awesome.

Gregg Stewart said:
WSG2.jpg

WSG3.jpg

Extra Light 1 piece mahogany body (Painted black)
Gotoh 510 Bridge
Rio Grande BBQ bridge pickup
Seymour Duncan Jazz neck pickup
24 3/4 conversion Mahogany LP neck with Black Ebony fingerboard (Painted Black)
Celtic Cross Inlay with extra inlay on the first fret (have to ask for it)
Pearloid Neck Binding
Standard Thin contour
Graphite Nut
White Pearl truss rod cover and pickguard
1 5/8 Nut width
10" Straight Radius
Stainless Steel 6105 Frets
Schaller Locking Tuners w/Hipshot string de-tuner

This is the thickest sounding SG you've ever heard! Partly because of the Rio Grande BBQ pickup and partly because the body is thicker than a traditional SG. It has awesome tone and plays oh so nice!
got any pics of of the binding of the neckand also the back of the guitar ? I just might have to build me one too,but maybe in red cherry or somethin. Only because i play in Sabbath tribute. your guitar probably sounds better than my standard SG(blk), my 61' reissue sounds great tho(heritage).

Nice, very nice.
Ok, I'm not certain this is the right place to ask this but since you built the SG...why not. Give me hell and tell me to move the question if you wish.
I 'm pretty new to building, I have recently built a Strat clone, but thats all.
I want to build an SG from Warmoth parts. The SG body from Warmoth states a 25.5 scale length. Does this mean I would purchase a 25.5 scale length neck?  What neck did you use? And aren't SG's 24 3/4?
I noticed in your description you state a 24 3/4 conversion? Could you please explain? I'm confused, and want to make sure I order properly.

Depends on your personal preference; you can order the LP neck in either a 25.5 fender scale or a 24.75 gibson scale

Ok, thanks. But why on the Warmoth description of the SG body does it state 25.5 scale?  That makes it sound like you MUST use the 25.5 LP neck.

I think it is important that everyone understands that the SG, LP and the like are definately built as 25 1/2" scale. Then later as you read the description about what a convesion neck is and that they are built for 25 1/2" scale bodies, most folks can connect the dots at that point.

If we put anything about 24 3/4" scale on the SG page, that would undoubtedly spark confusion of biblical porportions.

Back