Highway Star - "Quickie Sofa Recording" (Warmoth H-S-H)

wolbai

Today I was a bit bored ... so why not doing a recording on my own  :icon_biggrin:

Learned that Highway Star lead part a few years ago, but never played it with a Band.

I initially thought that would be a real Quickie on my sofa ... but during the recording I had to realize that this lead part is somehow tricky. Especially the synchronization with the Harmonizer effect on my POD HD500 threw me off the track several times  :icon_scratch:. 

The lead sound is definitely more High Gain/Hard Rock than in the original tune. But that's the way I like it  :headbang:

My Warmoth H-S-H sounds just fantastic for these type of lead parts, although the sound would have been better, if I had recorded it with my Marshall JVM410 in the rehearsal room. But today I just was not really willing to move out of the house that much.

Hope you like it ... Any feedback is welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IUN9cwlYvQ&feature=youtu.be

wolbai

Thx for your well-meaning feedbacks!

I have a pretty ambivalent view of Ritchie Blackmore as a person and a musician.

On one side he had that seldom gift to create signature licks and solos which have caught the attention of a world wide fan base.

On the other side: all I have read about his personality indicates that it was (is?) difficult to get along with him for other band members. But lack in social behavior is possibly that fate of some of the genius musicians at all times.

wolbai

Very nice work indeed.  DP was my 1st big rock concert when they toured for Perfect Strangers.  I think I was 14.  They opened with Highway Star and the place went nuts!

Too bad Richie has distanced himself so much from the band and Rock music in general.  A true craftsman!

Ritchie was THE guitar hero in the 70s for me and the first 3 albums of DP were my markers in rock music.

Sometimes I am a bit sentimental touched considering that this music I love to hear & play was created nearly 50 years ago.

A great band with genius musicians indeed.

wolbai

Back