Hold The Line - Lead Part (Warmoth H-S-H)

wolbai

Just started to practice old songs I am going to play Live again ...  So there's another "Quicky-Sofa-Recording"  :icon_biggrin:

This is not a note by note cover. It's just the way I use to play that lead part over the years.

My beloved Warmoth H-S-H workhorse with the Suhr Doug Aldrich humbucker is pretty perfect for that type of high gain stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQUsRfVnNZw&fbclid=IwAR0FfAuJW8p5Gunb72DMM0QcdIdQmJC9DjnTxoFgwQQM7KHmEX8s6-RFruY

Any feedback is welcome.

wolbai

I want to Jam with (all seven of )you! Nice!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zf_ObRQG7M[/youtube]

Do you really have a marshall stack in your basement?  I haven't played one of those in 15 years.

Thank you all for your well meaning feedback :icon_thumright:

Today I was in the rehearsal room with my duo partner to make a recording of "Sultans Of Swing". And that was a desaster regarding my playing. I just couldn't play the outro lead part in time today  :sad1:

At a certain point it is useless to continue recording. So I will give it another try tomorrow afternoon.

So your feedbacks are pretty welcome and they make my day !

wolbai

I never did master that tune, but back when I was working on it, I found that practicing at about 1/4 time was helpful. As with many pieces, if you can't do it slow, you'll never do it at speed, and the more you do it wrong the more deeply ingrained the mistakes become until wrong is the only way you can play it.

Well spoken  :icon_thumright:

Playing the guitar part of that tune at a good level, is a challenge for many players, including me.

That is one of these 2-3 songs out of 50 where I reach my limits. Although I am capable to play the song in principle, it noticeably depends on my daily condition how good it will be.

When recording, it is really sometimes the best just to stop at a certain point and to start another try the day after.

But sometimes little changes in the envorinment may help too:
playing while standing (not sitting), take a different guitar, monitor yourself not over a headset but with loudspeakers, using a different plektrum, etc.

wolbai.

babawowo said:
But sometimes little changes in the envorinment may help too: playing while standing (not sitting), take a different guitar, monitor yourself not over a headset but with loudspeakers, using a different plektrum, etc.

Absolutely. And more than help, they reinforce. Back when I was doing some more demanding pieces, I was almost like the proverbial ball player who has to have his "lucky socks" (or whatever) or he'll lose the game. Had to have my chair, my amp/sfx, my Levinson Blade, my .88 tortex pick, etc. or fuhgeddaboudit. Wasn't going to work. Made me think I still didn't really have the parts down, or those things wouldn't have been so critically important. Kept coming back to the old adage that "great players don't practice until they get it right, they practice until they can't get it wrong."

Back