Guitar Fetish Warehouse Sale

Johnny

As noted in the following post, Guitar Fetish is having a warehouse sale.  I bought a body and neck just for something to practice on.  I hope if works out to actually be a nice guitar, but I didn't expect much when I ordered it.  It definitely has some problems but I don't think there's anything wrong that can't be fixed.  Obviously, it is not as good as anything you're going to get from Warmoth.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=20304.msg300176#msg300176

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 37
More pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0057.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 23
And some more...

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 14
I should probably add a couple of additional comments...

1) There are two significant dings on the edge of the body.

2) There are a number of little dings on the back of the neck.

3) There's no recessed route for the control cover.

4) There's no tremolo screw holes.

5) Neck pocket is a bit loose.

6) The tremolo stud spacing is 2 15/16.  This appears to be spaced for a FR, but of course, there's no recessed route on the front.

7) The scale length is 25 1/2 and appears to be accurate based on a quick measurement.

Looks like they are just trying to make some money on parts that didn't pass QC. A lot of scratch and dent and B grade stuff.

But you get what you pay for, and for something just to tinker with and get a feel for building, I bet it's well worth the money.

One thing about the Floyd rout, it's a top mount Floyd, which also means that the neck pocket needs to be angled, if it's not you're going to have issues. :rock-on:

Well Johnny you own it, its in the work in progress,
I say make it play, you could start with the body, get an old t-shirt  damp it up, heat up the soldering iron put the damp t shirt (a small piece of it) on some of those dings  put the hot iron on the spot & the steam should swell it out hopefully enough that sanding will bring it back.
Finish wise you could follow a Toner thread black stain & clear. It does look like Alder (I know its a 4 piece & probably more suited to a solid colour but this should be easier) Don't think it will need grain filling.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=15729.0
What skill do you have with tools? do you have a router? Need help just ask.

I tried the wet rag and solder iron trick, but it didn't pull the dings out so I resorted to sanding.  For one, I just sanded the contoured heel route up onto the upper horn.  The other was at the forearm and I just sanded the curve down a bit to get rid of it.

I don't have any experience finishing and no significant wood working background so I'll be figuring out what I need to do as I go.  As for tools, what I don't have, I will buy.  I don't have a router, but will be getting one (maybe sooner rather than later).

It looks like the body has had sanding sealer applied.  You can see in the pictures the difference between where I sanded and where I haven't.  I'm assuming that I do not need to sand off all the old sanding sealer.  I still don't know whether to stain or use a solid color, but would like to stain for the experience.  I like the black dog transparent link.  I would be more than happy with that.

As for the FR, I roughly held the neck in place and put a straight edge over the frets to get an idea of how high the strings would be at the bridge.  The straight edge sits about a 1/4 inch off the body at the bridge.  Of course the strings will be a bit higher than that.  Will a top mount FR work or will have to shim or work on the neck pocket?

Thanks! 

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 15
As far as the Floyd goes, look at this diagram. Mount the neck on the body, if the neck is parallel with the body as in the top example from diagram, then you'll either have to shim or work on the pocket, or rout the recess for the Floyd.

If the neck is angled like the lower example in the diagram you are good to go with top mount Floyd.
Floyddiagram.jpg

That's what I thought regarding the FR but was hoping I wouldn't have to go there. I'll have to look into getting a router and some templates. It'll be good practice which is what this whole project is about anyway.

Johnny said:
I tried the wet rag and solder iron trick, but it didn't pull the dings out so I resorted to sanding.  For one, I just sanded the contoured heel route up onto the upper horn.  The other was at the forearm and I just sanded the curve down a bit to get rid of it.

I don't have any experience finishing and no significant wood working background so I'll be figuring out what I need to do as I go.  As for tools, what I don't have, I will buy.  I don't have a router, but will be getting one (maybe sooner rather than later).

It looks like the body has had sanding sealer applied.  You can see in the pictures the difference between where I sanded and where I haven't.  I'm assuming that I do not need to sand off all the old sanding sealer.  I still don't know whether to stain or use a solid color, but would like to stain for the experience.  I like the black dog transparent link.  I would be more than happy with that.

As for the FR, I roughly held the neck in place and put a straight edge over the frets to get an idea of how high the strings would be at the bridge.  The straight edge sits about a 1/4 inch off the body at the bridge.  Of course the strings will be a bit higher than that.  Will a top mount FR work or will have to shim or work on the neck pocket?

Thanks!

I wouldn't expect the soldering iron/wet rag trick to work. Iron's too small and too hot. You need a clothes pressing steam iron, or a film sealing iron and a wet rag...

96-736-287-03.jpg
topr2100.jpg

Either one will run you less than $20. But, you're past that now, so it doesn't matter. I mention it for future reference, or in case somebody else has a similar problem.

You say you're inexperienced at finishing, so I'll pass along another nugget: It's tough to see what you're doing to a raw surface when hand-sanding. In a case like yours where you're taking out a dent, you're liable to sand a bigger divot in the surface that won't show up until you put some finish on it. You really want to use sanding blocks as much as possible, so the surface stays relatively level. It sounds like more work than it is. Even though you're removing more material, you've got a mechanical advantage, so it not only ends up easier, you'll get more attractive results. This applies in spades on flat surfaces. You hand-sand a flat area, then shoot it with anything with the least amount of sheen, and it'll look like the surface of a lake on a windy day - nothing but swells and troughs. No matter how careful you are, it'll happen. Your fingers just aren't flat, and their contours will transfer to the surface you're sanding.

As far as the sealer goes, you don't have to sand it all off. You need to apply more so the wood has a uniform surface. Otherwise, any stain you apply is going to be blotchy and you'll create a LOT of work for yourself straightening that mess out. Many cuss words have been invented immediately after staining an inconsistent surface.

I don't know what to tell you about the Floyd Rose, other than be patient. Very patient. And do LOTS of research. They're an acute pain in the ass, but once you get past it they work pretty good. Until you have to change strings. Then all the cuss words you invented while finishing will come rushing back to you.

Johnny said:
That's what I thought regarding the FR but was hoping I wouldn't have to go there. I'll have to look into getting a router and some templates. It'll be good practice which is what this whole project is about anyway.
Good attitude... :icon_thumright:

As the sanding has worked, like Cagey says no need for anymore heat & moisture.
What grit paper are you using? I Definately would go with sanding blocks. On leaving any unknown finish / sealer I say sand the whole body. I would use 220 grit paper on a block in a swirling motion on the front & back then the sides. Any edge work use a spong / foam  type block . Your going to have to re round those edges where the dings were. If you follow Toners black stain & clear, No finish  can be left on the body. The stain is a low viscosity (as thin as water) it works by penetrating the wood, any barrier ( sealer coat) will make it float on the sealer coat & get wiped off ( a blotchty result). Reading toners thread he mentions the changes from black to silver greys indicating the dye has penetraded the wood in different absorbtion levels. Preperation of the wood is the smooth progression forward. good luck

I used 120 grit sand paper to take the dings out. I've since switched to 220 grit. I was using my fingers but now have a sanding block and have gone back over everything. The top is curved, so I had thought/hoped that using the fingers would be alright. In any event, I haven't sanded that much off yet.  If I sand all the sealer off using a block, I think I should be alright.

I've also been trying to sand with the grain and not doing a swirling motion. I get confused on this part because I've read where your always supposed to sand with the grain but with no real experience I'm talking out of pure ignorance.

For what it's worth, I'm also refinishing a table. We have one of those southwestern style dining tables with ceramic tile on top that we'e popular in the 90's. I've removed the tile and stripped the finish and have been sanding it down as well. My plan is to cut the legs off and make it a coffee table. I want to try to get a deep purple stain on the wood and retile the top with glass tile. I have some left over red and foil backed glass tile that we've used elsewhere in the house. Sounds odd, but would look really good in the house if I can pull it off.

120  would be a bit agressive ( good for reprofiling though). 220 could come in 2 types
of paper the stronger type (which would be more like cerel box backing less flexable & the
other more like printing paper more flexable) go with more flexable. the paper i use comes on a roll i make blocks the with of the roll.
DSCF2509.jpg

the block is at the top it has a dense cell foam stuck to MDF the paper is wrapped around it just slightly smaller stuck with masking tape from behind if that makes sense. You'll need a
dusting brush to brush the block of build up, i use a cheap wallpaper brush to unclog the paper. Table? LoL  ("cut the legs off") why not just  shorten them?

leo12. said:
120  would be a bit agressive ( good for reprofiling though).

Only used it to get the dings out before switching to 220.

leo12. said:
220 could come in 2 types of paper the stronger type (which would be more like cerel box backing less flexable & the
other more like printing paper more flexable) go with more flexable. the paper i use comes on a roll i make blocks the with of the roll.

I bought a "contractor pack" which are squares but have the more flexible backing.

leo12. said:
You'll need a dusting brush to brush the block of build up, i use a cheap wallpaper brush to unclog the paper.

Doh! I've been just patting it with my hand.  A brush is such a simple and obvious solution, I can't believe I didn't make it there on my own.  Especially since I just bought a couple of brushes this weekend to deal with the table.

leo12. said:
Table? LoL  ("cut the legs off") why not just  shorten them?

Yeah, refinishing a table is not at all the same thing, but there is some common ground.  Good idea on shortening the legs instead of cutting them off!!!  :toothy10:

I had a couple of flat sanding blocks that I had bought for some of the house remodeling projects that I used last night to sand down the back which is primarily flat.  I managed to get most of the back sanded down to the raw wood.  I have a little more to do around the control cavity and then the tummy cut.  It's a lot of work, but I really enjoy stuff like this as long as I have no deadline and can work on it at my own pace (i.e., slow).

Also, I should note that I really appreaciate everyones help with this!!!

Well you made a start. You'll need the 220 to get the 120 marks sanded. To sand the edges
you can fold the 220 paper in half & half again, you can sand the edges with your fingers
holding the folded paper for the radius edge. The neck can get sanded with the 220 also,
not the fingerboard. I would take the sanding to 320 (personaly) but you got to figure out
if your gonna recess the control cavity (a router job with a recessed bearing cutter). I won't be any help with Floyds Dangerous is the man there. Good luck.

I've managed to get the top and back sanded down to 220 grit.  I'll probably go back over it once again at 220 before going to 320 but I still have to do the sides.

I also took another look at the tremelo.  I got some help this time since I couldn't manage to hold the neck in place, hold a straight edge over the frets and then measure the height at the bridge with just two hands.  The height at the bridge is 3/8 inch.  It also appears that the neck pocket may be angled since the height of the straight edge is higher at the bridge than right next to the neck pocket.  In any event, this should leave me something over 1/2 inch (considering the strings will be a bit higher) to work with which according to the specs I checked for the FR sounds like it might be right.

Because of the arrangement of the control and tremelo route, I was hoping to recess one cover over the whole area.  The depth of the FR makes this pretty close call as to whether or not I'd have enough clearence.  I may just go for it and then route out a whole in the cover if I have any problem.

And speaking of routers, I discovered that I have a router sitting in my garage that I didn't know was there.  Sadly, it's not mine, but a friend had loaned me a table saw a while back to do some home remodeling and he informed me there was a router on it that I didn't know was there.  So, any routing I'm going to do, I should probably get started on because I know he's about to install some hardwood flooring and will need it back.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 20
This weekend I began looking at the recessed control/tremelo route.  The first picture shows some construction paper that's been cut out and laid over the body where I want the recess to go.  The second shows a rough template for the route.  The template was cut with a jig saw and I was careful to stay inside the lines since my old jig saw is not particularly good and has a tendency to make non-vertical cuts.

In any event, I went to Home Depot to get a drum sander attachment for my drill press.  They didn't have them so I've ordered some off the internet along with Stew Mac's ball bearing router bits.  It'll be a few days before they get here, so I'll just have to chill for now.  The straight lines will probably be a bit of a challenge with the drum sander, but I'm going to try and clamp another piece of wood on the template to use as a guide.  Hopefully, this will work.

I've never routed anything before, so this will be a first for me.  I've done research and think I know what I'm doing, but if anybody sees where I'm messing up, please tell me.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 21
Over the weekend I finished making the template for my recessed control/tremelo cover.  I drum sanded the rough cut template to where it was close, then knowing I'd never get a straight edge with a drum sander, I reverted to using a flat wood rasp.  I taped the template to a piece of scrap wood and ran the router around the edge.  I was pleased with how easy this worked, but noticed a curve that wasn't quite right.  So, I used the wood rasp on the template and tested again.  The second time, I was careful to set the depth to 0.9 mm, the thickness of the Warmoth pickgaurd material.  The cut looked good, so I set the template on the guitar using double sided tape and cut my recess.

The cut seemed good, so I pulled the template off when I noticed the recess was deeper on one side then the other.  Lesson learned, is don't put tape on just two sides.  You need the tape on all sides to prevent the template from leaning (well, at least I do because the tape was actually 1 mm or so thick).  So, I re-attached the template using tape below each side and routed to the deepest depth from the previous route.  This time, everything looked good.

Of course, the depth is more than I originally measured but then it occurred to me that the pickgaurd material is either .06" or .09", not 0.6 mm or 0.9 mm.  The actual depth of my cut was 1.5 mm and after doing the conversion, .06" comes to 1.5 mm.  Just got lucky, but the lesson is one that I already know and didn't follow - Measure twice and cut once!!!

In any event, I proceeded to also cut the holes for the 5-way switch and then decided I wanted the volume/tone knobs to sit level, so I used a forstner bit to level the body at those controls.  I had to sand to get rid of the little outside cut from the forstner bit and while it still looks a little rough to me, I think with a bit more effort it will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 19
Back