Coffee - Superstrat with a twist

VanHeGen,
I sat in a coordinators seat in a mechanical engineering department at a Japanese company before retiring.
Your approach to your build, the planning and reasoning that went into the project previous the implementation is a fine example of how these things "can" be approached...probably how they "should" be approached.
You might say that you can "plan the joy right out of the project" but the mental exercise of creating the thing in the ether before it shows up on the physical plane can be a load of fun as well.
Once again, Excellent work!!!
@xld Thank you so much for the very kind words! I have huge respect for Japanese philosophy, craftmanship, enginering, production, processes and manufacturing, so this warms my heart!

I have added Coffee as an entry in notable builds for the documentation of the design and thought process of the build.

I have added Coffee as an entry in notable builds for the documentation of the design and thought process of the build.

Oh, wow. I am at loss for words!
I guess Christmas came early this year!

Last edited:
This has to go up there in the most tonal options in a single pickup guitar, and the story of its inspiration is priceless!

Mad props for the photography also, classy and tasty, up there with the style used in Geddy Lee‘s Big Beautiful Book of Bass.

This has to go up there in the most tonal options in a single pickup guitar, and the story of its inspiration is priceless!

Mad props for the photography also, classy and tasty, up there with the style used in Geddy Lee‘s Big Beautiful Book of Bass.
@TonyFlyingSquirrel Thank you so much for the kind words! I always try to do the best I can but I honestlynever thought my first build would turn out this good - and not only in my own opinion!

However, as my photographer skills are zero - and I don’t own a camera, the props go to my friend Antti, who kindly took the photos for me. I will make sure that he gets them, as a comparison with Geddy Lee’s book is really something!

Beautiful! I really like the laser etched headstock! I've thought about doing that for years, but just never have. It looks awesome!

Thank you @ghostrider25 ! I actually don’t remember where I read about laser engraving originally, but I immediately thought that I had to do it. The closest place was actually a hundred miles away from where I live, in a house that looked kind of shady. But it turned about to be a small ”community” of super nice one-man (and woman) ”companies” who worked with wood in all possible ways - including guitars!

Premier Guitar Reader Guitar of the Month: Coffee
I am feeling pretty stoked right now - again!

After Coffee had received so much praise here (thank you all!) - and inspired by @Spud who has done this many times - I submitted the guitar to Premier Guitar for the Reader Guitar of the Month contest. I heard nothing for several months until in January this year, when I was contacted and told by PG that Coffee had been selected to be featured in their April 2024 print magazine, in addition to be featured on their web.

And a quick update on the guitar itself, now almost 6 mts after Coffee was finished I still love it. The sonical options that I created have all been used, and nothing will be changed. Well, I need to change the strings more often :)
https://www.premierguitar.com/pro-advice/reader-guitar-of-the-month/coffee

Back