Guess what I'm making

I'll chime in with everyone else and say that I really like fat necks. My standard thin profile neck is almost hard to play after playing my Gibson for so long. I really can't wait to get my Tele finished off and try out the boatneck profile.

A road case landed on my front door step this week and out popped this guitar.
182.jpg

I will say that the road case is very impressive. The neck on this thing is not as big a Warmoth Fatback or my Gibson R4 Les Paul but it is chunky and feels glorious. I love my R4 but I would really like it to feel like this baby. I think Trevor is going to find this a pleasure to play.

I filled the headstock for color approval and if Trevor likes it I can get going on the rest of it this week.
180.jpg

Great I'll start on the body and neck this week.
I found this picture on the Les Paul Forum of the back of the neck on an old one and you can see the original color where the lacquer is worn all the way through. The original looks a littler redder but it's pretty close. Close enough for two different pieces of wood.
180.jpg

Jurniorneckcolor.jpg

that really close.  I would think the addition of the lacquer would bring out some additional tones (color that is) you are looking for.

It is this going to be a relic?  I hope not.

Mayfly said:
It will be a relic in 30 years  :eek:ccasion14:

You, sir, are now in the Cool Kids Club.  That's the only attitude I find acceptable regarding relicing.  This looks like a great build.

-Mark

Paste filler finished. I sure hate to think that I can't get this McFadden's filler any more because it sure works great!
001.jpg

002.jpg

Holy crap!  Now that is cool!

Looks fantastic!

Update - I love the way the back of the neck looks! 

Here it is with lacquer; I'll let it hang until Monday and level sand. If there are no dimples I should be able to get it sunburst-ed. If there are dimples I'll have to shoot some more clear but any way I look at it this guitar should be sunburst-ed by the end of next week.
003.jpg

004.jpg

It was too hot to do any thing else today and lacquer was drying at warp speed so I figured I get the headstock black lacquered. Here are some great pictures to illustrate when a surface is level sanded. I have a lot of people asked me how they will know when the surface is level and I tell them there can be no dimples in the surface. Well here you can see clearly what I'm talking about.
Look how nice the lacquer is powdering up; that means its nice and dry!
005.jpg

I wiped the powder off and this is a great illustration of a surface not level. The dimples are the dark areas. I have some more sanding to do.
006.jpg

I never got all the dimples out so I added some more finish and re-sanded it level. Its ready for black lacquer now that it is totally flat.
008.jpg

The black lacquer will need to set a few days and then I can level sand it and shoot some clear on it  before I add some naughty bits.
011.jpg

Back