Guess what I'm making

Sorry to see the chip.  Will the washer for the tuner cover it up?  The same thing happened to me on my current build.  Washer does cover it up.
If it is covered, may want to dab some clear on it just to prevent it from getting worse.

Concerning the studs, I always install BEFORE the finish is applied to help avoid this problem.

DMRACO said:
Sorry to see the chip.  Will the washer for the tuner cover it up?  The same thing happened to me on my current build.  Washer does cover it up.
If it is covered, may want to dab some clear on it just to prevent it from getting worse.

Concerning the studs, I always install BEFORE the finish is applied to help avoid this problem.

Sadly, the washer does not cover it.  The photo is with the washer installed.  Good idea about dropping some clear on it.

Regarding the studs, sorry I was not clear.  The studs were installed before finishing - I was just clearing the overspray from the stud threads.

Hey!  It's a guitar!

557648_10151281346947112_525526573_n.jpg

702_10151281347127112_2008068349_n.jpg

Chip does not look so bad when the strings are on.  I mean, the fingerprints on there look worse under the flash:

602456_10151281347077112_1805648835_n.jpg

Still to do - the pickguard and the truss rod cover.  The ones I have I'm not that sure about.  I'll look around for others that fit better.

I spent the weekend setting up the guitar.  The nut was cool - It's my first time with a bone nut and it was no problem to work with.  I got it fairly close to the right height by filing down the back, then I tweaked it from the top with the nut files.  Action and intonation was a piece of cake.  With the compensated bridge, the intonation is not terrible;  It's pretty close on all strings.  Well, close enough for Country music anyway  :)

The guitar itself is wonderful.  Now, I know we're all used to throwing these kinds of words around the things we make, and the things we see others make, but this guitar really is something special.  Acoustically, it really zings.  It has a brilliant bright sound that's really chime-y and piano like.  Loads of harmonics.  Plugged in, it has a LOT of power and tone.  With the super fat neck, it's super comfy to play and overall it begs to have leads played on it. 

Interestingly, it's not nearly as precise as a telecaster.  With a telecaster, if you make a fretting mistake or a picking mistake, you'll hear it through the amp.  Teles are pretty unforgiving with respect to technique although that also makes them very expressive.  Not so with this guy - make all the small slips you like and it keeps chugging out a big ass woofy tone.  It's pretty cool and it begs you to play endless lead guitar.  Now you can still get pinch harmonics etc out of it, they are just not so, er, immediate as with a tele.  It's really great.

I used to own a 78 LP goldtop.  This guitar is everything that the 78 should have been.  It's a heirloom instrument that I'll be proud to hand down to my kids.  After I'm dead of course  :)

Bagman67 said:
Mayfly said:
It's a heirloom instrument that I'll be proud to hand down to my kids.  After I'm dead of course  :)

They're plotting your demise even as we speak.

Hey - they were doing that before the guitar!  I think their favorite game at bedtime is "Squish Daddy!"

Mayfly...you may want to go and get some automotive style lacquer touchup paint.  Basic black to touch up those marks.  Enough layers and you can even get a nice build on the area.  Better than bare wood.

It reminds me of when I put together my sons bass.  There was SOOO much paint build up around the neck pocket, it was too tight.  I forced it and POP!  Chip away!!!!!  Automotive paint to the rescue!!!!

Fantastic Lester none the less.

Folks,

Some audio samples.  The first is medium gain and has a nice tight solo.  The second is full on wank - exactly what this guitar expects from you.  :headbang:

Please excuse the singing.

http://www.cornflowerbluemusic.com/BandDownloads/files/The%20Have%20Nots.mp3
http://www.cornflowerbluemusic.com/BandDownloads/files/Dear%20Mr%20Fantasy.mp3

Hey that turned out great  :headbang:

Don't worry, your not alone with the chip.
Wait till ya see my huge stuff-up  :eek:
I chipped a 3 way Toggle hole that I had to drill for, in a very unique maple top  :doh:
I've found a washer that JUST covers it ...... I think  :sad:

Cagey said:
reluctant-builder said:
I don't care how good the food is, if I go into a restaurant that appears dirty/shabby and operates in a disorganized manner while providing sub-par service, it's highly unlikely they're going to get my business. The cook, who may be the owner, doesn't have to clean the men's room, decorate the dining room or run the cash register. But, he should see to it that somebody who's good at it does those things or the business is unlikely to do very well. Same is true of any business.
Sure, but that's a hygiene issue. It's not a like-for-like. What about a great restaurant, clean, great food and service, but with a terrible web site that doesn't work properly?

I assume that's your reply, bounded in the "quote" from Cagey?

I'm not buying food from a restaurant via their website, for one; we're talking about going, physically, to a restaurant. However, if the restaurant offered the option to order takeout online and their website was awful ... I wouldn't use it to order their food.

Back