Guess what I'm making

Cagey said:
Yeah, I think you're right. I don't think it was the TV white that bugged him, though. It was filling that pesky Mahogany. I've done it myself, and can attest to its low level of fun.

I figured it was a combo of that, + thinning to get the desired result, + more thinning followed by mahogany being a jerk.

Last time he did one, he said he was done with them

I say that all the time but I can't be held responsible for moments of extreme frustration.

It is true that Max's guitar did not like me and though it turned out very nice and I'm proud of the job he did on the concept and completion it has continued to haunt me on a daily basis in the upper right corner of the board.  :evil4: For months and months and months and months. I mean come on; no guitar on this board has ever stayed in that position for as long as that one has. I think Max is paying somebody off.  :icon_smile:

Tonar, it's not that he didn't like you, he just missed home  :toothy10:

And he's got a second home at that top corner.

So last night I showed the guitar to my wife.  After chatting about it for a bit, she asked me a very interesting question:

"so - are you going to put a bender in it?"

:evil4: :evil4: :evil4: :evil4: :evil4:

Bender.gif

But I don't wanna be in a guitar!

"so - are you going to put a bender in it?"

I showed my wife pictures of your guitar last night and she said, "He's not going to put one of those bender things on this one too?"  :laughing3: :laughing3:

And Frank Reckard, who followed Albert Lee into Emmylou Harris' Hot Band, had a custom-made (string bender) unit attached to the back of his Les Paul Junior, fashioned by Thomas J. Sullivan -- the "SulliSteel" -- although he now plays a Glaser-equipped Music Man.

---- http://www.martystuart.com/ZArt-VintageGuitar4-04-2.htm

Tonar8353 said:
How about one of these.  :guitaristgif:
JR2.jpg

Sort of old post but I just came across it and I have to say I literally and audibly sucked my breath in when I saw this and I'm still waiting to exhale!

I may be letting the cat out of the bag, but I could've sworn you indirectly told me it was getting one.  If a drummer with access to a machine shop could revolutionize them, surely a Canadian amp builder can modify a routing template and shorten an arm.  I'd do it just for the novelty of the thing.

>> Couldn't help myself

I don't blame you. I'd wanna know, too. Better now than after you've poured money into a finish.

It sounds pretty good.  One interesting thing that I noted is the tone from the (bone) nut is quite different from the tone at the frets.  But the important things are there:

1 - I can get a good setup
2 - strings go where they should
3 - I can get intonation near where it should be
4 - it sounds like a guitar!

and the neck really feels faaaaaaaat.  fatter than what I'm using now for sure.

Mayfly said:
Does it have the baseball bat profile?  If it does, I know where you are coming from.  I took a few mm off especially at the bottom where it meets the body.

The one I have I ordered with a 60s profile neck...

If you are going to reshape...decide now before you grain fill.

It definitely does. I find it to be much more comfortable, especially if you're playing for a long period. I'm so used to Fatback and Boatneck that my 59 Roundback feels thin. My only Standard Thin is a Superwide. I like it, but the feel is very different.

With all this silly carpel tunnel and trigger finger foolishness, I consider a standard thin to be ~potentially~ downright crippling. It's like all these big fat rubberized pens, and the tools now available with soft, larger grips - or even the snow shovels with a big bend in the handle. This is the stuff I should've been using for the last half-century, because if I'd had been, I wouldn't need it  - now that I do.  :sad: There's always a fix somewhere, but it's a pain in the... well I don't like listening to whiners either, so foo. I did just figure out that if I string at least one bass upside down - with the low strings at the side of the neck that's easiest to reach - that will keep things lively.

Back