Guess what I'm making

That's the Munster's address. 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

the_munsters_.jpg

I read their blurb and looked again at this thread's P. 5 neck pocket shots - that is indeed, some very, very fine work on the ends of the frets. There's a way to do it with jigs and, umm, tool-y stuff before you mount the frets that's very fast = hence cheap, but it's only going to work commercially if you limit the fret options drastically - which they do.

You make a grooved abrasive end-shaper piece and a fret holder/handle thingie that limits the travel, so every fret end comes out the same. Disadvantage: you have to cut 22 different length frets, but if you're banging 10, or 50, necks, well, no loss. And if you're producing bound neck guitars with undercut fret tangs anyway.... What's the point of obsessiveness if you don't get more perfect, right? This guy explained it to me:
http://www.thornguitars.com/index.htm
Scroll down to "hidden fret ends" below:
http://www.thornguitars.com/socal-htm/rs-specs.htm

It wasn't really possible until recently, when the quality of CNC'ing wood and the quality of fretwire made it possible for things to just work... perfect! He does some kinda OK work in other ways too.

Thornguitars1.jpg

Thorn2.jpg

Here is a Warmoth version which I made it appear like a modded Junior with a neck pup (TV Jones Classic in P90 size).

LPJunior.jpg

Trevor, try doing a 5/16" radius on a test board and see if that gives you the look you want. My buddy says he thinks that's what it.

Tonar8353 said:
Trevor, try doing a 5/16" radius on a test board and see if that gives you the look you want. My buddy says he thinks that's what it.

Excellent.  I think I'll do three test boards:  1/8, 3/16, and 5/16.  Will publish the results soon (need to buy some bits first!)

Nice.  What's the tone like on the TVJ?

Unwound G said:
Here is a Warmoth version which I made it appear like a modded Junior with a neck pup (TV Jones Classic in P90 size).

fdesalvo said:
Nice.  What's the tone like on the TVJ?

Unwound G said:

It twangs and jangles in a fattish way.....and hum-free.  Exactly what I wanted.

Those Precision kits look really nice from what I've seen online.  Might have to see one in person one day.  Shame I have nowhere to spray anything anymore.

Gentlemen,  A tale of four router bits:

530896_10150780733992112_527102111_11572677_417955384_n.jpg

we have 1/8, 3/16, 5/16, and 1/2 (just for fun).  The 1/2 I used when I was building amps all the time.  Oh the smell of Baltic birch...

... but I digress.

So the 5/16 seems kinda huge.  My warmoth teles appear to use 3/16 (just holding the bit up to the body).  This means that I'm going to try 1/8 and 3/16.  Will report back.

Y'know... you may be over-thinking this. It's possible they used a 1/8" round-over, but after hand-sanding it softened up a bit to appear as 3/16". Same with maybe using a 1/4" that softened up a bit after sanding to appear as a 5/16". In any event, when all is said and done, who's gonna put a gauge on it? Cut the bloody thing and get on with it! <grin>

Gentlemen,

In the end, I went for the 1/8 round over bit.  A little sanding with 310, and here's what it looks like:

530366_10150783291927112_527102111_11579840_68047239_n.jpg

Some interesting things:

1 - mahogany is really really easy to burn on the router table!
2 - mahogany is really easy to sand - and it's really easy to sand off router burn marks :)
3 - even a big slab of wood like that is not flat.  The roundover varied throughout the perimeter.
4 - if your bit is too deep, it's really annoying to sand off the little lip it leaves.

Next - the neck glue!

Just came back from playing vegas.  Went into Cowtown guitars and played a 1960 melody maker.  wow - that's a thin body!  it can't be more than 1 1/4 thick!  and it weighed nothing!

But what I noticed is that the roundover is very round - like 1/2 or something.  Makes me want to re-think the roundover I put on the JR...

I like what you have done.  I have a 2002 Jr and the body is just about 1 1/4.  Very thin and is a great stage guitar.  My jr from Precision is also very light.  You will be pleased. 

I am anxious for more progress pics.

Mayfly said:
Just came back from playing vegas.  Went into Cowtown guitars and played a 1960 melody maker.  wow - that's a thin body!  it can't be more than 1 1/4 thick!  and it weighed nothing!

But what I noticed is that the roundover is very round - like 1/2 or something.  Makes me want to re-think the roundover I put on the JR...

You are correct sir; my '64 is exactly 1.25" thick...

DMRACO said:

Coming soon I promise!  I plan to mount the bridge and then line up the strings for the big neck gluing event.

Mayfly said:
DMRACO said:

Coming soon I promise!  I plan to mount the bridge and then line up the strings for the big neck gluing event.

I did not shim at all.  Both jrs I build lined up perfect.

Back