Gotoh/Grover Tuner Bore: Any Tuners Actually Fit?

Cactus Jack

I just picked up a neck with this tuner bore. After reading several threads I can’t seem to identify any tuners that fit this bore perfectly. Vintage doesn’t appear to work and modern tuners are 10mm while the actual bore is closer to 10.3mm, which apparently leads to a loose/sloppy fit.

Can anyone recommend a set of tuners that fit perfectly? I do not want any play and I’m fine with vintage, modern, locking, non-locking. I just want a nice sung fit for rock solid tuning. I might be a little ( a lot OCD), but I really want zero play.

Thanks for the help and recommendations.

I have had no problem with equipping 10mm Gotohs and Grovers in the 10.32mm Planet Waves bore, which fits the tuning machine loosely.  I simply clamp them down really well with the threaded ferrule that goes around the spindle, and count on the small anchor screw to keep the tuner from rotating and loosening. 

But I can see that many folks would prefer a tighter fit, so I'd say use the Schaller bore at 9.92 mm, and deal with the snugness by sanding or reaming the bore a little bit as necessary.

Fat Pete said:
I'll play. How about some Gotoh or Grover tuners?

Cactus Jack said:
...modern tuners are 10mm...

One would think Gotoh/Grover tuners would be a perfect fit. However it appears they are not.

Based on previous posts those tuners are 9.9mm, while Warmoth drills a 10.3mm bore. Apparently that’s enough if a variance to make the install really sloppy. What folks end up doing is adding copper tape or something to make the bore diameter smaller. I don’t want to do that.

I’ve yet to see anyone recommend a specific tuner that actually works. Everything appears to be a compromise, which makes me wonder what Warmoth is doing. Seems weird to advertise a bore that doesn’t actually work with the suggested tuners.

If anyone knows of a specific model that fits without some shortcut workaround please let me know.

Talked to Spike at Warmoth and got zero advice. Basically said just stick anything in. He wouldn’t/couldn’t make a single recommendation. I specifically asked for a brand and model that fits the 10.32 bore...nothing. He didn’t even mention the Gotohs that they sell.  If Warmoth technical support doesn’t even know which tuners properly fit their own neck, how the heck is a customer supposed to? Thanks Warmoth...guess I’m on my own.

Cactus Jack said:
If Warmoth technical support doesn’t even know which tuners properly fit their own neck, how the heck is a customer supposed to?
Research. That, and ask here. Someone will have an answer, and everyone will have an opinion!

Let me recap, you bought a neck that fits planet waves tuners, and now you can't find a tuner?  I can see how people might get confused.  I've used the planet waves tuners with the string cut mechanism by Ned Steinberger and they are great!  Just get the planet waves tuners and you'll be fine.

Plus they are locking!

PS if 2/100 of a mm bothers you then put two coats of tru-oil into the hole, but I don't think you'll have a problem as is.

The planet waves tuners will fit perfectly.  I've used them on many guitars and have always liked them.

Mayfly said:
The planet waves tuners will fit perfectly.  I've used them on many guitars and have always liked them.

Planet waves fit the 11/32 opening? I assumed the wouldn’t because Warmoth offers a specific Plant Waves bore. Had no idea.

er, the PW bore is 10.3mm, which is what you've previously mentioned that you've got. dunno about 11/32.

Mayfly said:
er, the PW bore is 10.3mm, which is what you've previously mentioned that you've got. dunno about 11/32.

The note that I have is the gotoh/Grover steppes bore. It’s 11/32 on the front of the headstock and 13/32 on the back.

The problem is the rear opening is 10.3mm while the suggested tuners are slightly under 10mm. Warmoth uses a literal 13/32 while the industry actually uses 10mm. People end up having loose fitting tuners or have to modify them to get a tight fit. What I’m looking for is a tuner that fits properly with no modification.

Thanks for the clarification.

ok - the PW tuner will not fit in that hole.  It needs a straight bore as the top ferrule is just a nut and the entire tuner goes through the headstock at the same diameter

Since it's the bore hole with the step, go with the Gotoh's and if you feel the hole is too gaping get creative about reducing the size of the hole.  Don't panic.

Mystery solved.

I emailed Warmoth and just got a response. Long story short there are NO tuners that properly fit this bore. They recommended to always choose a smaller bore to ensure a sung fit. The 10.32mm bore with require modification and is simply too large to accommodate 99% of available tuners. Yep, Gotohs and Grover’s will technically fit. They are smaller than 10.3mm. But they will not be snug and they can’t be used per Warmoths install advice. To their credit they said they e never received a complaint and are not aware of any issues.

Of course modification is possible. I could ream the bore to fit Planet Waves. I could wrap copper tape around a smaller tuner. However, after spending hundreds of dollars on a custom neck I find both options unacceptable. The advertised tuners should fit without exception. Lesson learned...avoid the Gotoh/Grover bore if you want properly fit tuners. 

Thanks for all the help guys. This was an incredibly frustrating realization, and I hope this process benefits some folks down the road. 

I’ve chosen the Schaller sized bore for most necks I’ve bought and they’re a snug fit when used with Gotohs.
This is something you need to work carefully with though if you’re using a roasted maple neck because of the wood being more brittle. You can’t force tuners in such a neck as you can with a standard maple neck.

I had the dual bore Gotoh/Grover type on my first roasted maple neck and found the Gotoh tuners to fit slightly more loosely, but the neck sounded just the same.
Like Bagman said, once they’re screwed down they’re attached just as well as any tuners.
And the tuner holes being a tiny bit wider doesn’t affect the sound or performance.

Instead of copper tape you could try what Rick suggested and use some paint/finish/TruOil to the inside of the hole.

That would make the tuners fit snugly eventually. Personally I will not be doing this on my neck I described above, as I don’t think it will make a difference and it will save me the extra work involved.

Closing the loop.

I bought some Gotoh locking tuners, and they measured exactly 10mm. As such, they were loose in the headstock, nowhere near a press in fit. Even with the bushing tightened down there was too much sloop. To get a proper fit I added a few wraps of copper tape and had to cinch things up tighter than I'd like. The screw, which is supposed to be for alignment, is being fully utilized as an anchor point. It's not ideal, but it's needed.

Conclusion. The tuners will work. However, I will never buy another neck with this bore. The tuners do not fit the way I like, I prefer a solid press in fit, tuner options are limited, and I see zero reason to select this bore vs the other offerings.

Cactus Jack said:
Closing the loop.

I bought some Gotoh locking tuners, and they measured exactly 10mm. As such, they were loose in the headstock, nowhere near a press in fit. Even with the bushing tightened down there was too much sloop. To get a proper fit I added a few wraps of copper tape and had to cinch things up tighter than I'd like. The screw, which is supposed to be for alignment, is being fully utilized as an anchor point. It's not ideal, but it's needed.

Conclusion. The tuners will work. However, I will never buy another neck with this bore. The tuners do not fit the way I like, I prefer a solid press in fit, tuner options are limited, and I see zero reason to select this bore vs the other offerings.

Thank you for following this up! So many discussions like this are left without conclusion. I’m sorry you didn’t get the results you were after, but at least you know exactly what you want (or don’t want) for next time.

Just found this after receiving my neck and Grover tuners for Christmas, and really disappointed in having spent a lot on a neck that I thought would be compatible with Grover and Gotoh tuners will now have sloppy tuner installs. Why doesn't Warmoth eliminate this option if it is not a good fit with most if not all tuners? (Especially since it's not a fit with Grover tuners, not great at all Warmoth) :-\

royallion said:
Just found this after receiving my neck and Grover tuners for Christmas, and really disappointed in having spent a lot on a neck that I thought would be compatible with Grover and Gotoh tuners will now have sloppy tuner installs. Why doesn't Warmoth eliminate this option if it is not a good fit with most if not all tuners? (Especially since it's not a fit with Grover tuners, not great at all Warmoth) :-\

Ask Warmoth sales, perhaps it is an older style tuner bore that Grovers may not require any longer.

Back