Gold Hardware

TexxasJam

Who uses gold hardware?  I have heard horror stories (horror may be a strong word) of gold hardware loosing their finish or lustre over time. Or even having it turn some other bizarre color like black(ish). Is this true?  I'm not taliking about those little scratches that come with use, I'm talking about the actual finish wearing off.  All the guitars I have ever owned have had chrome hardware.

:guitarplayer2:

I've ordered parts for a Warmoth Strat that I'll be putting gold hardware on.  I would think that if you use quality hardware, the risk of the finish coming off would be slim.

I refuse to use gold hardware unless forced to by a client - it does lose its 'newness' within a few months, and it is more prone to plating bubble than chrome. I have several high end hardware parts that are new in box but already showing their age (some are from Warmoth, some are from other reliable sources, and none are cheap knock-offs or eBay specials)

maybe it's because the gold plating is thin compared to chrome. more than likely it's simply due to the nature of the metal itself, with gold being significantly softer than chrome

all the best,

R

My hands can eat that stuff off in a single afternoon. My guitar playing friends get ill if I even LOOK at one of their guitars.

You can periodically spray gold (or chrome or black) parts with lacquer. That will help minimize wear.

Back