GAS Alert!!!!

To think that wood could have gone to waste under a solid color?

But It was actually me, I'm going to slice it with a bandsaw into a number of pre cut strat shape pieces for drop tops. Hopefully at least one will be pre finished.

This way more guitars will get part of the same maple.

Anyone want a slice ?

:icon_jokercolor:

Hehe! Yeah, right. I'll take the top slice. The rest of them will have big holes in them from the rear routing that's already been done.

ps10907F.jpg

Actually, I wonder if that's why the thing exists in the first place. They would have made more money slicing it up into veneer than they got for the whole chunk, but perhaps the block was damaged. Somebody drove a forklift into it or something, but somebody else noticed that the damage was in an area that would be routed out if it was a whole body, so tragedy was prevented.

Will we ever know? It's a mystery without an answer  :dontknow:

... or maybe DoubleA could shed some light?  :)

Cagey said:
Actually, I wonder if that's why the thing exists in the first place. They would have made more money slicing it up into veneer ...

So what do they charge when there is a one piece quilt veneer top?

I'm not sure they do "one piece" veneers, but the typical bookmatch (two-piece) ranges in price from $75 to $250. Most modern veneers are between 1/28" and 1/40" thick, so if we figure 1/32" then out of a block 1.75" thick (std guitar body slab) you could get as many as 56 sheets of veneer, less some for kerf and other losses. Call it 50 sheets. The tops involve more than the veneer itself; there's application and finishing labor and materials, but still. That's 50 guitars you can charge between $75 and $250 more for, so there'd be a gross sales dollar increase of $3,750 to $12,500.

I wondered how quickly someone would realise most of the slices would be no good. I was rumbled straight away.

Actually the $1100 this went for makes the solid koa @ $850 look respectable.

Does anyone else like the looks of this? It's a Screaming Deal - oak top on mahogany, chambered. Kind of unusual.

bound%20tele%20oak%20on%20mahog.jpg

I like that guy.

Here's his brother:

pt4355A.jpg

Not sure which one I like better.  The darker burst is nice, but the more pronounced cream or ivoroid binding contrast is preferable to the black binding on this specimen.  In any case, $305 for the dark one, $315 for the cherry burst.  Nice all around.

I just glued up the blank for a quartersawn red oak neck last night. It's really project after next. But still.. Oak actually has a good bit better stiffness than maple, and similar hardness. 

I agree. I've cut up a helluva lotta red oak, and it all looked very much like that. Thing is, the listing says it's solid and weighs 3lbs., 14oz., and a chunk of oak like that with a maple top should weigh about a million pounds.

Cagey said:
I agree. I've cut up a helluva lotta red oak, and it all looked very much like that. Thing is, the listing says it's solid and weighs 3lbs., 14oz., and a chunk of oak like that with a maple top should weigh about a million pounds.
:laughing11:

Back