GAS Alert!!!!

Bagman67 said:
This seems as good a place as any for this image.  I've always been more of a Mary Ann man, myself.

tumblr_ni6miwp7fA1tsglw0o1_500.jpg
I dunno, that switch is in the 'both' position...

Wow, very nice.
But since it's not routed for pickups isn't it just a tiny bit strange that it's routed for a trem? With such a lovely body you could put any pickups you wanted on it, but not whatever hardtail. I guess the trem option is still the most popular, but still ... Would have been nice to have it solid for those of us that would have liked a TOM and string-through solution or some such.
Oh well, I guess we have to use the Body Builder instead  :icon_smile:

Yeah, Logrinn. Those trem routes have saved me from buying several bodies already.  :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure Warmoth watches their orders to derive demand and schedules speculative production based on that, but it seems like if 99.5% of what you offer are trem-routed bodies that you'd end up with a demand of about 99.5%. In other words, saying that's mainly what people want becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy if that's all you offer. I'd wager if they offered more hardtail versions of traditionally trem-equipped styles, they'd sell them faster than the traditional numbers would suggest.

I think some of the offset-waist Fender styles would be a great place to start. The Mustang/Jaguar/Jazzmaster body styles are gorgeous, comfortable and practical, but who in their right mind wants that trainwreck of a bridge/trem combo? There isn't even a good aftermarket replacement because it's just such a shitty design there's nothing you can do with it. They do offer alternative routings if you custom order, but they're limited, and just a naked butt you could install whatever you wanted on is unheard of in the showcase. If it was me, I'd try offering a few simple pieces to see what demand is like. What's the worst thing that could happen? If they sit in the showcase too long, you route the little rascals for the crummy hardware and watch them go that way. Certainly aren't going to lose anything on the deal.

rgand said:
Yeah, Logrinn. Those trem routes have saved me from buying several bodies already.  :icon_biggrin:

Ah, I see, you mean this is a good thing ...  :icon_thumright:

Cagey; I couldn't agree more. Brilliant!

And if I might chime in on this speculation about offering more offset-waist style bodies (since many are shortscale), I think that offering a few more routing options on these, as well as options to accommodate 24"-scale necks on other bodies, would attract many players that favor shortscale guitars.
I mean, there's a whole community dedicated to shortscale guitars (http://www.shortscale.org/) with forum and wikis and the like.
But finding a good shortscale guitars is hard.

Warmoth could be the place to go when it came to finding a shortscale.

... if there were just a tad more options in that department ...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

When I go to do my shortscale it is going to be fairly simple. Going to have only one pickup and a wrap around tom. So I will just order the body from Warmoth completely unrouted then have my local router jockey do the measuring and routing. Shortscale Tele, baby!!

I have a router, and I'm not afraid to use it  :laughing7:

You guys probably know this, but Warmoth does different scale necks. For instance, a Tele is normally a 25 1/4" scale instrument, but you can buy a "conversion" neck at 24 3/4" scale that'll bolt right on and intonate properly. No need to goof around with moving bridge locations. I've been doing most of my guitars that way for the last few years, as age and arthritis limit my reach.

I am aware of that, Cagey, but something happened when I bought my last guitar, the Fender Super-Sonic, a while back.
After 40 years of playing (on and off) I suddenly had an aha-moment. I finally realized why I enjoyed some of the guitars that I've owned over the years more than others.

Scalelength!

My first proper guitar was a new Gibson SG from -75. I later got a -61 Gibson LP Junior, also SG-shaped, and I loved those. But being as we are in our youth, I wanted guitars that my guitars heroes used. So I got a Strat. I got a whole bunch of guitars. Jackson, Yamaha, Ibanez and so on. (You got to have some perks when working in a music store for fifteen years.)
But not until now did it occur to me that I liked the shorter necks more. I always struggled more with Strats and Ibanezes. Not so with the 24 3/4" necks on the Gibsons.
But the 24" scale is even better. So that's what I'm aiming for.

The guitar I am going to get in a few months time will be a 7/8 Strat with the Mustang neck.

Naturally I'll be showing my efforts with it when the time comes.

Logrinn said:
Wow, very nice.
But since it's not routed for pickups isn't it just a tiny bit strange that it's routed for a trem? With such a lovely body you could put any pickups you wanted on it, but not whatever hardtail. I guess the trem option is still the most popular, but still ... Would have been nice to have it solid for those of us that would have liked a TOM and string-through solution or some such.
Oh well, I guess we have to use the Body Builder instead  :icon_smile:

But depending on what body style you like it can be the exact opposite. I'm a tele guy and most all of the showcase tele's are bridge routed for hard tail tele bridges or TOM's. Warmoth can even route humbucker routes on top of Tele Pickup Routes but will not add a Trem route to a hard tail routed body.

Of course custom build is always an option but it sucks when you are lusting after a showcase body and it has the wrong bridge route for your needs.

DslDwg said:
Of course custom build is always an option but it sucks when you are lusting after a showcase body and it has the wrong bridge route for your needs.

Exactly my thought!  :icon_thumright:

But on the other hand, it sure is nice that a company like Warmoth exist, so that we in the end can get what we want.

DslDwg said:
I'm a tele guy and most all of the showcase tele's are bridge routed for hard tail tele bridges or TOM's. Warmoth can even route humbucker routes on top of Tele Pickup Routes but will not add a Trem route to a hard tail routed body.

It's possible that in some instances adding a trem route to a hardtail-drilled body can leave something of a mess. Holes in places you don't want them to be because they won't be obscured. For instance, I've done some builds for people where I've installed a Bigsby or a Kahler. In all cases, there was no easy way of getting rid of the through-body holes as the bodies were already finished. So, I just installed ferrules as if the through-body holes were functional. Couldn't use them, of course, but at least it looked sorta right. But, that's just me and the owner agreeing on a work-around. Warmoth isn't going to ship something like that. Unless they could totally route out any evidence that the body started life as a hardtail, I'm sure they'd never do it.

Although, I will warn that they're perfectly willing to re-route Tele bridge pickup cavities for humbuckers even if it's a carved-top that you're not going to install a pickguard on. Not that it's the end of the world, but if you're using pickup mounting rings rather than a traditional-style Tele bridge plate that will cover up the hole, you'll see a small gap on the bridge side of the pickup mounting ring. It's barely noticeable, but it's one of those things that you know is there and have to explain away if anybody else manages to notice it.

Cagey said:
DslDwg said:
I'm a tele guy and most all of the showcase tele's are bridge routed for hard tail tele bridges or TOM's. Warmoth can even route humbucker routes on top of Tele Pickup Routes but will not add a Trem route to a hard tail routed body.

It's possible that in some instances adding a trem route to a hardtail-drilled body can leave something of a mess. Holes in places you don't want them to be because they won't be obscured. For instance, I've done some builds for people where I've installed a Bigsby or a Kahler. In all cases, there was no easy way of getting rid of the through-body holes as the bodies were already finished. So, I just installed ferrules as if the through-body holes were functional. Couldn't use them, of course, but at least it looked sorta right. But, that's just me and the owner agreeing on a work-around. Warmoth isn't going to ship something like that. Unless they could totally route out any evidence that the body started life as a hardtail, I'm sure they'd never do it.

Although, I will warn that they're perfectly willing to re-route Tele bridge pickup cavities for humbuckers even if it's a carved-top that you're not going to install a pickguard on. Not that it's the end of the world, but if you're using pickup mounting rings rather than a traditional-style Tele bridge plate that will cover up the hole, you'll see a small gap on the bridge side of the pickup mounting ring. It's barely noticeable, but it's one of those things that you know is there and have to explain away if anybody else manages to notice it.

Completely understood. I'm not suggesting re-routing a hard tail routed guitar (I've asked the question- lol) I'm suggesting don't bridge route Showcase pieces at all until ordered, problem solved for the Tele and Strat guys.

There is another weird Warmoth trend right now which is routing Showcase Teles with TOM stop tail routes?

I've got to believe more customers would want a Tele with some sort of Trem system than a TOM.

As far as putting a HB route on a Tele. Agreed it might be strange on a carve top. But any of the styles that use a pickguard and a Tele bridge it's basically the equivalent of a boat route on a strat. The bridge and the pick guard can cover any minor differences between the routes.

Back