GAS Alert!!!!

Now ya know, I've been watching you guys for a while, now.  You needs some more bass love.  I haven't yet bit into Warmoth yet, I'm a little green, still gathering information, and trying to figure out what I want to do.  I love this here, and could kick the choice of top rout.  It just showed up in the j showcase.  How come black korina isn't a choice for a unique choice laminate?

Attachments

• BP2316C.jpg
    BP2316C.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 20151211151623-2626.jpg
    20151211151623-2626.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 329
Welcome to the forum! We have a lotta fun here, and hope you'll stick around. Lotta talent hanging around ready to share knowledge as well, so you have a better shot at a successful build.

As for Unique Choice tops, some woods don't wanna slice into thinner parts successfully. For instance, you'll never see Spalted Maple veneer; it just can't be cut very thin without it falling apart because its features are basically streaks of rotten wood with very little structural integrity. I'm not sure why Limba (Korina) won't cut thin, but it's almost certainly something along those lines. It may be that the grain is too coarse, so a thinner piece won't hold together.

Thank you for the welcome!  As my second post I must, however, disagree with you!  In fact, the body above is black korina on white korina.  It is available as a laminate top, just not a choice laminate, or at least right now it's not an option as a unique choice.  I'm thinking either a) they all just look this fabulous or b) they don't have anything in stock which warrants being a "choice" top.

I'll be sure to avail myself of the talent and knowledge you speak of if and when I do something.  I've already read a great deal.  There's some great information here.  I have an obstacle: I'm married.  :)  The money involved is not insubstantial.

ghotiphry said:
Thank you for the welcome!  As my second post I must, however, disagree with you!  In fact, the body above is black korina on white korina.  It is available as a laminate top, just not a choice laminate, or at least right now it's not an option as a unique choice.  I'm thinking either a) they all just look this fabulous or b) they don't have anything in stock which warrants being a "choice" top.

I'll be sure to avail myself of the talent and knowledge you speak of if and when I do something.  I've already read a great deal.  There's some great information here.  I have an obstacle: I'm married.  :)  The money involved is not insubstantial.

It is almost certainly the latter with regards to Unique Choice options.

Welcome to the forum, ghotiphry. Looking forward to seeing what you finally get going on.

Welcome, ghotiphry (is that pronounced "Fish Fry"?) and best of luck in your new addiction.  I can totally relate to the "I'm married" aspect of GAS-control. 

Beauty body:

PT5423A.jpg

Reminds me of some work I did a while bacK:

5902248167_1edef1dbe6_b.jpg

It was a sad story, rgand. .  It was a ridiculously heavy Northern White Ash body I got on ebay.  Fortunately (?), I picked up the body for $about 80, reasoning that I would prefer to make all my newbie mistakes on a Dodge Neon rather than a Lagonda. 

This was the first body I ever undertook to finish on my own, and I screwed it up repeatedly. And the gods had it in for me, too.  At one point I had it hanging from a hook in my garage and the hook fell out of the ceiling and the dang thing hit the ground, destroying what I thought would be the final layers of clearcoat.  I repaired it as best I could and eventually proceeded through clearcoats, curing, wetsand, polishing, and partway through assembly, when the bridge screws - two of 'em - broke off during installation.  I kinda thought maybe if one broke off, two would be sufficient to keep it in place.    (And, YES, I WAXED THEM, so shut up everyone).  At that point, I figured I had learned all I cared to learn from the body and gave up (accompanied by a great deal of profanity) and started afresh when I had cooled down. 

I was not done making newbie mistakes once i got started on my green mahogany tele, but I made fewer mistakes and of a different kind.  And the mahogany tele became my favorite player. 

That's quite a story, Bagman. At least you got most of the serious stuff behind you at the start. You did a good job on the finish even if it wasn't meant to stay with you. Perhaps your lesson in all that was to learn how to string swear words together end-to-end. :icon_thumright: Thanks for sharing that.

nullref said:
If they actually made one of these as something other than a Strat, my bank account would be screwed...

PS10809A.jpg

What is it with Warmoth with high grade woods, except for a funky horn? This one looks like it has a knot on the upper horn. (One that's smiling at you  :icon_biggrin:) There's a burl example on the previous page that has a light area on the upper horn. Seems to be a trend.

slcp76a.jpg

s7924C.jpg

Saw another one with "bonus burl", but only in the horn area.

Dammit, guys...  I'm just like so tempted.  Black korina on black korina dinky j, dark rosewood raw neck, classic chrome...  I see the plan, just... dammit.

Attachments

• BP2103A (1).jpg
    BP2103A (1).jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 346
  • BN6278A.jpg
    BN6278A.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 20151217144019-7757.jpg
    20151217144019-7757.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 316
Y'know... you don't have to build the thing this week. If you love the body, snatch it up to get it out of circulation and stash it in a closet somewhere. It'll still be there later when you can afford the neck/bridge/tuners/pickups/etc.

I do that with necks. Every once in a while, you see something that you don't have an immediate use for, but it's so special that you can't bear to let it get away from you.

Cagey said:
I do that with necks. Every once in a while, you see something that you don't have an immediate use for, but it's so special that you can't bear to let it get away from you.

A downright dangerous idea.

Purple Haze all in my brain....

PS10825A.jpg

And this one that's just sitting in the Screamin Deals section...

Ps9483A.jpg

aaannd... Hello!

SN17585A.jpg

Fortunately it's December and all the money's been spent for the month otherwise I'd have a couple new builds coming up.
:toothy11:

Cagey said:
Y'know... you don't have to build the thing this week. If you love the body, snatch it up to get it out of circulation and stash it in a closet somewhere. It'll still be there later when you can afford the neck/bridge/tuners/pickups/etc.

I think this quote should go into the the urban dictionary under an example of "GAS".  :toothy10:
I've got it bad.  But I'm cooling off for a while whilst I catch up on some family time.  Then, I'm sure I'll be back at it.  This, I'm sure of.

Back