GAS Alert!!!!

JaySwear said:
People have built whole guitars because they had left over ferrules  :icon_biggrin:
it's not that bad, but close.
I'm a candidate for that  :laughing7:

Any excuse is a good excuse    :icon_thumright:

Nice to see it found a home here .......

Updown said:
Yeah yeah yeah  :dontknow:  we all have to pay shipping costs.

But the other taxs etc are part of your countries regulations.
Just depends where you live and what extra taxs / fees you get hit with.

It's not a Warmoth problem, it's your countries governments policies. 

In Australia, we can spend up to US$1,000 (shipping not included in that) and have NO fees / taxs added on.
Spend over the US$1,000 then have to start paying extra fees / taxs on the amount of $$$$ over $1,000 bucks.

Don't let the dreaming stop thou Bruno  :icon_biggrin:

Of course, I never write that it's a warmoth problem.
"no chance, no dream"
At the moment....
:icon_thumright:

JaySwear said:
Agreed. If it were a Tune-o-Matic (can Warmoth do that for a Jazzmaster?) or choose your own trem I'd be all over it.

I actually went to try out a Jazzmaster tonight to see if I thought I'd like the pickups. Still undecided. Love this body though.
I think that they can, wait, yup, they can.  Here is mine.
16-Guitar-2.jpg

Patrick

Haha too late for me  :-\  I got excited and ordered a showcase body with the archaic trem. I'm excited though. Hoping I can get it set up decently well. If not I'll tighten it down into a hardtail and refuse to talk about it if anybody asks.

I think it could look cool if you made a plate to cover the trem cavity out of matching pg material and then mounted a stop bar tailpiece. You could install some cool electronis in there or piezo processor guts and a knob or something. :dontknow:

pabloman said:
I think it could look cool if you made a plate to cover the trem cavity out of matching pg material and then mounted a stop bar tailpiece. You could install some cool electronis in there or piezo processor guts and a knob or something. :dontknow:

Kaossilator?  Ask Matt Bellamy if he likes his...

tumblr_mayuc40fR41rzwh93o1_500.jpg

JaySwear said:
Haha too late for me  :-\  I got excited and ordered a showcase body with the archaic trem. I'm excited though. Hoping I can get it set up decently well. If not I'll tighten it down into a hardtail and refuse to talk about it if anybody asks.
The Mastery Bridge is alleged to intonate/hold tuning well.  Zero first hand experience, mind you; personally I consider the trem design part of the charm...

Yep! I'll be getting a Mastery bridge. Eventually. They're not cheap. But I want the best parts if I'm going to have one of the more temperamental trem units around. But it's the trem unit on the body that worries me. I'm not worried about the break angle (I'll get a Buzz Stop most likely) but returning to pitch is worrying me a little bit.

I'm pretty sure that hannaugh has a mastery bridge on her Jazzmaster. If I remember correctly she likes it a lot.

I know how you feel. There are some bodies that float through the jazzmaster section that are just sooooo nice looking. Great score on the one you got. It's the white with masked binding one right?

The Mastery bridges for Jaguar/Jazzmasters are attractive, very well-made and of good material, but I'd only use one as a retrofit on an existing Jaguar/Jazzmaster with the original junk bridge, not on purpose for a new build. They're far too expensive and don't make a good connection to the body. While it's close, it's still just a slip-fit on two posts screwed onto the base plate that holds the saddles.

Unfortunately, the best replacement I know of is also potentially a compromise. The Wilkinson roller bridge...

thumbnail.asp

... mounts more solidly and has roller saddles. But, like a TOM, while you can adjust intonation and overall height, you can't adjust individual saddle height. At least, not easily. It's a 12" radius which is tighter than you want with a Warmoth compound radius neck. To reset the radius, you have to either play with shims like a Floyd, or file the saddle bases. On the plus side, they're only $25 here, as opposed to $183 (with thimbles) for a Mastery.

Of course, that's only true if you're stuck with the OEM-style Jaguar/Jazzmaster vibrato tailpiece. Get rid of that, and there are myriad possibilities.

I thought about putting a Wigsby on it. I actually like the look, but I've heard more bad than good and they're apparently heavy as all hell.

JaySwear said:
I thought about putting a Wigsby on it. I actually like the look, but I've heard more bad than good and they're apparently heavy as all hell.

It depends on which model you get, and how aggressive you are or want to be.

None of them have much range, so if you're looking for Van Halen dives or string-breaking sharps, fuhgeddaboudit.

The B5s (flat top mount) and B7s (arch top mounts) are the original Bigsbys that are still made in Kalamzoo, MI, and they have roller bearings on the rotating parts so they return to neutral more reliably than the the others. The B50s and B70s, as well as the B500s and B700s use nylon bushings, so they don't return as well as you'd probably like, and they wear faster. Also, the originals are sand cast vs. the aftermarket die cast parts... not sure how much difference that makes in performance (I suspect there's a sustain issue), but it's a big difference in price. That might also be due to origin (the B5s and B7s are make in the US), so be careful about making any attributions.

None of them can return as well as a knife-edge fulcrum design such as a Floyd or a Wilkinson, partly because of pivot friction and partly because the Bigsby design uses a single compression spring versus 3 to 5 draw springs to balance against the string pull. With multiple springs, you get an averaging effect and the more the better. With one spring, once it thinks it's relaxed it's done working.

So, a Bigsby isn't the best thing. At one time they were, but only relative to the incredibly pitiful designs from the major guitar manufacturing OEMs like Fender, Gibson, et al. Once Floyd Rose came out with his design, there was no equal until Trevor Wilkinson came out with his. Now anybody who cares about performance uses variations of those, mostly the Wilkinson design since we now have good nuts and locking tuners available.

But, if you're not particularly aggressive, don't need a great deal of range and have time to correct for inconsistent returns, I can see using a Bigsby. Particularly if you don't need vibrato very much or very often. Plus, they look really cool.

Whole different beasty, actually:

http://swampdogsmusicandmore.com/Wigsby.html

Lotsa photos illustrating the undercarriage works.

Whole different beasty, indeed. Not sure I like it. Still limited springs, and what looks like a hard stop. Need more input.

Back