GAS Alert!!!!

bp1094C.jpg

bp1094A.jpg

i love cherry burst on maple

Even wronger scale length than before but still tempting... I could die the fingerboard jet black, could live with dots if the ebony was dyed.  I could string it with D'Addario XL140s, tune it to C#.... Nahhh patience. Would be cool in its own right though

pt2299c.jpg

By far the nicest Tigers Eye finish I've seen from Warmoth. My first guitar was an Epiphone LP in Gibson's "aged tiger" finish which is flame maple with black dye rubbed back and re-dyed amber, just like the very center section of this. Wanted more guitars in it but most "tiger" finishes are more brown, just look like a tobacco burst gone wrong. This one is almost perfect though. Very tempted to grab this, if I didn't already have three Telecasters.

And then there's this

vmt3025a.jpg

Ace Flibble said:

I think that finish would look nicer on a carved-top, rear-routed body. something about this really intense finish on a flat-top with a pickguard doesn't jive with me

I suddenly see why guys do clear pick guards

I am going do one for Barn Door, but tell you what, nekid looks real good :icon_thumright:

Teles with no pickguard but a control plate make me feel ill. That's the "rear routing? What's that?" configuration. Plus I just don't like wood-mounted pickups and those Tele neck pickup mounting rings don't look all that hot either.

dNA said:
I think that finish would look nicer on a carved-top, rear-routed body. something about this really intense finish on a flat-top with a pickguard doesn't jive with me
You mean something like this?

GIB_LesPaul_Boneyard.jpg

As I said, my first guitar was the Epiphone version and even though it's a signature guitar that's the one finish that I've always considered "mine". Most other finishes I immediately associate with some other famous player and that stops the guitar feeling so personal. This Tele body is the closest thing I've seen to it outside of Epi/Gibson.

I honestly would not use any other guitar except that I really can't get on with the LP fret access and since picking up bass I've found the 24.75" scale length feels like a toy.

I think I might pick that Tele body up this afternoon. I've struggled to think of little else for the last two days and I know I'll regret it if I don't nab it.

Just er, don't tell the missus ;)

Ah, that's the exact kind of tigers eye I don't like. Not enough contrast between the brown and the yellow for me. What wood's that anyway? Left half looks like flame, the right looks like quilt.

It's from a Maple tree's taint. Taint flame, taint quilt <grin>

Some people call it "wild maple", but I'm not sure that's an official name for it. It's simply "figured" maple, where the figure isn't one pronounced effect or the other, but mixture of both.

Ace Flibble said:
Ah, that's the exact kind of tigers eye I don't like. Not enough contrast between the brown and the yellow for me. What wood's that anyway? Left half looks like flame, the right looks like quilt.

I'm not slamming Orph's one bit, but a similar description is what urks me about Dweezil's latest PRS.  Bodystyle aside, the supposed "bookmatched" pieces on the top, the flaming grades don't match and the headstock venner matches neither.  Could be he's weird enough that he requested it that way.  I wouldn't think Mr. Smith would let that one get out the door.
dweezilzappacustomprs.jpg

dweezil.jpg

Leaving aside the play of the light, consider also that in a carved-top application, the two areas that differ from one another were a fair distance (0.5"-0.75") from each other in the tree as it grew.  It's not necessarily a defect for the grain to vary significantly once you resaw the plank and then carve away a buncha wood.

I'm well aware of that fact.  That would mean the centers, which have the least amount carved would be closest to the same.  Dweezil's ain't even close which is why I think it's intentional.

And Orph's BTW appears to be a stunning 1-piece top anyway.  If it's all one-piece, it has no choice but to match itself.

Yeah, forgive me, I didn't look closely enough at either Orpheo's nor at Dweezil's guitar. 

My guess is that Dweezil did want it unmatched, offbeat artist that he is - looks like half quilt, half flame.  Some of the other stuff he's endorsed has tended toward the assymmetrical as well (hello?  Peavey Wiggy amp?)

THanks for making me look a little closer, STDC.

Bagman

Here's a video of Dweezil picking the wood for it:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dcFLU7ubE8[/youtube]

Back