first post, need some help

Aguirre

so i ordered a neck from warmoth. it came in like 4 weeks! definatly impressed with build quality ect. i just have a couple of questions....

is there some guide to putting on the tuners? i feel kinda stupid but i dont want to put them on wrong or anything...

other than that its just simply screwing it in and setting up the truss rod right?

cant wait to play this puppy...

not really just make sure warmoth drilled the holes for the same size tuners you ordered and lock them down with the nut and washer, then if they have a secondary screw for the back do that one after you line them up nicely. not very hard to do just take your time

Welcome to the boards!  Tuners are simple enough so long as you drill the pilot holes well and wax the threads on the screws.

You may want to get a copy of  "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine, tons of good info.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Guitar,_electric/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html

i did schallers, and they seem pretty self explanitory now that i look at them again. i just get nervous when i have a great chance to totally fudge something up.

for those screws should i get the screwgun out? idk if i have  bit that will fit them...

Aguirre said:
i did schallers, and they seem pretty self explanitory now that i look at them again. i just get nervous when i have a great chance to totally frick something up.

for those screws should i get the screwgun out? idk if i have  bit that will fit them...

I always strip my heads when I use a screwgun.Yes,even when I stop to finish it off with a hand-held! :laughing8:
They get squirrely on me, even thou the trigger is tapered.

Just call me a quadriplegic octopus.  :doh:

for the small screws you do not want to use a screw gun or drill. You might get lucky, and you might also snap the head off of the screw. What I did with my guitar was find a drill bit a hair smaller than the screw and drilled holes first and then used a screw driver to carefull hand tighten the screws. If at any time they start to feel like they're giving strong resistance, just back up with the screw and then try again. Don't force it. There are like 7 threads around here about people snapping the head off of these screws and what to do to get the rest of it out of the wood. I'd say it's probably better to avoid that in the first place if you can.

GoDrex said:
What I did with my guitar was find a drill bit a hair smaller than the screw and drilled holes first . . .

I think they call 'em pilot holes :laughing8:

When you go to drill those pilot holes, make sure to determine first the depth to which you want to drill those holes, then mark your drill bit with a piece of masking tape or something similar.  You don't want to go too deep, and come out the front of the headstock.  :tard:

I know it sounds obvious, but it could happen. 

And I agree with the others, use a hand-held screwdriver to insert those screws.

Drill the proper size pilot hole, too small and you're apt to break a screw. I have never broken a screw using this method.

the LAW states that -" the drill bit size to use for the pilot holes, is the same size as the screw if it did'nt have the threads."

Rub the threads of the screw on a birthday candle before installation.  It's gives it the same resistance as screwing into a machine threaded insert, which is to say next to none.

What I do is put a candidate drill bit behind the screw.  When I see threads beyond the bit, but can see the bit too, that is the bit to use.

Hi Aguirre, welcome to the forum

Those little screws for the tuners can be real pests if not carefully screwed in.

Others have mentioned wax, that's good. I have also seen a bit of good old fashioned soap bar used for the same purpose.

If your neck is maple, just be aware that maple is a dense wood and screwing in screws can be a mongrel of a job.

Pilot holes, wax on the screws, all good advice. Take your time, I suggest you use manual screwdrivers and slowly does it.

If the screw starts to feel tight, it is probably already too tight. Loosen it back, and retry.

DocNrock said:
What I do is put a candidate drill bit behind the screw.  When I see threads beyond the bit, but can see the bit too, that is the bit to use.

Nice tip.

Back