EMG experts! I Need You!

4406Pack

While i wait for my bucketcater body and neck i decided to pull out my old Performance corsair out and see what i need to do to finally get this beast playing right.
Paid a guy in early 90’s to put my pick up in and after speaking with emg and looking at wiring stuff available today i have come to the conclusion that the Guy at the music store Did not know what the hell he was doing or ???
It has a Single Emg 81 with Volume only pot the battery connector came apart many years ago but i want to get this beast up and playing questions would be
Back in the late 80’s-1992 i can’t remember exact year(before solder-less kit) but did the emg 81 pickup come with the wires already attached to pick up or did you actually have to plug wires onto the pickup as the newer pickups are today?
The guy who installed for me did not put in the 25k pot the bus for the battery and it looks ugly as hell on the solder job not to mention the output jack wasn’t put in either.
I do have all these parts on order but the sales guy at emg didn’t know for sure as it was before his time 😂
Some picks i am thinking of replacing the neck as to adjust truss rod the neck has to be removed but electronics first
Any that can give some input i would appreciate it37A0C8F1-A2FF-4B8C-8335-EC070E293B1E.jpegA7E5AA4E-D342-4083-A3CA-07F59DFB23F5.jpeg

That pickup looks as though it is highly unlikely to have the Quick connect system and the wires will be attached. Unscrew the pickup ring and have a look to confirm.

In which case all you would need to do is to cut one end off a Quick connect cable and graft the existing wires to the quick connect wires, which at the other end would connect to your new pot.

Old wires to new.

Black to shield
White to white
red to red.

Thanks
That pickup looks as though it is highly unlikely to have the Quick connect system and the wires will be attached. Unscrew the pickup ring and have a look to confirm.

In which case all you would need to do is to cut one end off a Quick connect cable and graft the existing wires to the quick connect wires, which at the other end would connect to your new pot.

Old wires to new.

Black to shield
White to white
red to red.
thanks

The "battery bus" does not need to go to the volume pot. From the pic, the wiring looks fine. If you replace the battery snap and the 1/4" jack is wired ok, it should work.

Last edited:
Pot is for paf 250k the jack is not a stereotype jack that looks worse in the solder dept thanthe pot had this done long time ago at a reputable Local music store in denver that has long since closed its doors
I was very new to all this back then so didn’t know any different.
It worked but not as it should
I have the parts on order to fix the folks at emg said there will be a very noticeable difference in sound

I have the parts on order to fix the folks at emg said there will be a very noticeable difference in sound

Indeed, there should be with the correct parts.

I had to help out @Bondservant a while ago via TGP with some older EMGs. The diagram EMG provided would not have worked and had a number of errors. Though with your set-up with a single humbucker and volume pot it should be straightforward.

Indeed, there should be with the correct parts.

I had to help out @Bondservant a while ago via TGP with some older EMGs. The diagram EMG provided would not have worked and had a number of errors. Though with your set-up with a single humbucker and volume pot it should be straightforward.
I may add a kill switch they have as well

Whoa is that a length of Monster cable speaker wire going to the output jack?!!

Back