Favorite neck woods?

I also have a wenge neck on my wishlist. A baritone for another BC Rich Mockingbird clone I want to build. The wenge necks on my basses are really nice.

If you want tone and a look akin to Roast Maple, consider Canary.
+1 on Canary for me. It works very well and it's not super hard like roasted maple. Mine has gotten darker over the years and is even more beautiful (if that's possible).

I have a future build planned where the neck will be scalloped. Upon seeing RM is not well with that years ago, I’ll go with another canary. Already have one from many many years ago before RM was even available

Posting pics of your necks is highly encouraged! I'm intrigued with Canary but want to see actual examples. I'm actually thinking about trying a canary board on a dark (padouk? wenge? rosewood?) neck.

I like plain old maple. Luckily so as it is also what I can afford.

I like plain old maple. Luckily so as it is also what I can afford.
BUTTTTT maple requires a finish. I'm realizing you can get weird unfinished woods for about the same price, or maybe even less. And I assume quicker turnaround time.

I bought a real-deal Fender maple neck and am not a huge fan. I think mostly because the frets are too low, and I also don't like the gloss. Hence I'm looking for alternatives.

BUTTTTT maple requires a finish. I'm realizing you can get weird unfinished woods for about the same price, or maybe even less. And I assume quicker turnaround time.

I bought a real-deal Fender maple neck and am not a huge fan. I think mostly because the frets are too low, and I also don't like the gloss. Hence I'm looking for alternatives.
I hear ya. I just wipe on 3-5 THIN coats of wipe on poly hit them with 1500 grit sandpaper (barely) and you can barely tell the coating is there feel wise. but it is there and sealed up. But that is just me.

You mean you finish your own maple necks? Or you do that to finished necks?

Maybe I'll try that, but isn't there no warranty if you get an unfinished maple neck?

Maple maple is always good as is maple rosewood. Mahogany ziricote is a good combo. Wenge feels great, canary and maple as well. Rosewood and bloodwood is a good Combo... the sky’s the limit. Pic something cool or go with a classic ... can’t go wrong.

My canary Tele neck is my favorite. As Trevor notes, it's got a softer feel in the hand than maple, and it really does wear very nicely. It has darkened some, and my particular specimen has some lovely red streaking. I got it cheapity-cheap on eBay 11 years ago, when it was still possible to do that. With an ebony fingerboard and stainless 6115 frets, it plays like a dream.

6614760467_76de27fad1_h.jpg

I have always been a fan of clear maple necks and fretboards. My latest project is a 3a flamed maple 2 piece conversion neck.

Canary is sweet too.

Then again, black ebony and rosewood have their place, depending on finish aesthetic. Some guitars and colors just look better with darker fretboards.

Back