Draculcaster

cjs0216

My wife gave me some encouragement to finally get my dream guitar this year. I looked high and low for a strat that I really loved and eventually came to the conclusion that for me to have my dream guitar, I'd have to build it myself. I didn't set out to build a strat that looked like this, but while weighing my pick guard options, I really didn't find any of them that were "me"...until I found this Dracula pick guard. My Dad and I used to watch the old Christopher Lee Dracula movies, so when I saw this pick guard, I knew I had to build the guitar around it.

I went with a bloodwood FB because of the vampire theme, but once I saw it in person and felt it, I knew I had made the right choice. All throughout the planning of this build, I knew I wanted the skull and crossbones inlays, so the theme confirmed it for me. I guess I could have went with crosses or something else, but I like where I landed. The side dots are moon glow, which I also got for thematic reasons, but seeing them in person again confirms that I made a good choice. The satin paint on the back of the neck was a bold choice, given that I've never played a guitar with a satin finish anywhere, much less on the neck, but the finish feels really nice while I'm playing, so no complaints there.

I mainly play Texas/Delta blues, so I put some Texas Special pickups in there, but if I can be honest, those are my least liked parts of the entire build, so changing them out may come sooner rather than later.

For the neck:
Style: CBS Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Bloodwood
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: SRV
Fret Size: SS6115 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Corian Skull & Bones
Side Dots: Moon Glow Side Dots (3mm)

For the Body:
Model: Stratocaster®
Orientation: Right handed
F-Holes: None
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Poplar
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Universal
Controls: None
Bridge: Gotoh 510 Tremolo
Stud Install: Use inserts from bridge on order
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Top Finish: Black
Back Finish: Black
Finish Type: Satin Finish

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 682
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 254
I like it. "Bloodwood fretboard and Moon Glow side dots" Nice touches there! Great job.
Christopher Lee did a good job on his movies, but for me, Bela was the consummate Dracula.............. :headbang:

PhilHill said:
Bela was the consummate Dracula.............. :headbang:

I think it's mainly because my Dad introduced me to the old Lee Hammer films first that he's the one that comes to mind when I think about Dracula lol

cjs0216 said:
PhilHill said:
Bela was the consummate Dracula.............. :headbang:

I think it's mainly because my Dad introduced me to the old Lee Hammer films first that he's the one that comes to mind when I think about Dracula lol

Yes, I know what you mean. If there are multiple versions of something, whichever one we see first becomes the benchmark.......... :icon_thumright:

Back