Danger dots! Whoa, Nelly...

stubhead

Master Member
I gotta do my own dots on my short-scale fretless G5 bass here, and I just found some really sinister looking "Turcite" plastic:

turcitex_full.jpg

I'm leaning towards 3/32" nickel silver side dots, and 1/4" turcite face dots between the two lowest strings - I may yet wimp out and go with whities on the front, but boy that stuff looks cool. :evil4:
This project is taking on a sentient life of it's own, always a good sign. :hello2:

Love it!  Now you better do it or I'm going to be pretty disappointed!  You wouldn't like me when I'm dissapointed!

Turkite is cool. Usually used to help surfaces slide over each other. Often used in CNC equipment. Nice alternative! I can be very pricey!

Short scale??? Do you have your own neck to fit onto the Warmoth G5 or are Warmoth doing it for you custom? Whjat scale is the bass guitar that you are building?

It's fretless, and I had Warmoth make the neck with no side dots. By moving the bridge up, it'll be a 30.5" scale. I had to choose a narrow bridge, and tuners that'll let me use cut-down strings. It's coming along swimmingly, I'm just waiting on the stupid polyurethane to cure hard in this despicable swampy-armpit weather we're having. OH SURE it hardens in seven days... :icon_scratch:

stubhead said:
It's fretless, and I had Warmoth make the neck with no side dots. By moving the bridge up, it'll be a 30.5" scale. I had to choose a narrow bridge, and tuners that'll let me use cut-down strings. It's coming along swimmingly, I'm just waiting on the stupid polyurethane to cure hard in this despicable swampy-armpit weather we're having. OH SURE it hardens in seven days... :icon_scratch:

Oh I see!  A fretless board (not even liners/indicators on the board and no dots or bars on the fretboard), no side markers and a body that hasn't been routed for bridge.

Move the bridge to make the scale, then place the side markers. Good idea & a good way to get around the problem of Warmoth not making any short scale bass necks or bodies to match. :icon_thumright:

I take it that the pickups haven't been routed by Warmoth either?

Back