1st Build, Srat, GK-3 Kit, SD pup's, Raw Fretboard

Updown

Hi all  :glasses10:

I got board while waiting for my Roland GR-55 to arrive (own a VG-99) & my 1st  Warmoth guitar build job Flying V got put on the back-burner.
I'm re-doing complete finish on that….(again)
Have put  a Warmoth Neck onto a fully loaded RR Strat as well this year. (all good there)

So….ladies / gentlemen,I give you my official 1st Warmoth build… 'The Cigar'

My Guitar 'The Cigar'
with internal GK-3, installed & put together by yours truly…..me !  :icon_biggrin:

0e7b325b.jpg

Basic Specs….

Body….
Warmoth, Rear Routed, Standard Stratocaster®, Goncalo Alves on Mahogany (Chambered)
(2 vol 1 tone & 5 way switch, prept already)
Finish: Transparent Yellow  …….. (not as yellow as I thought it would be) but still very happy !
To my surprise when I opened up my package, the body has some nice flame happening. (couldn't see this before finish put on)
Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo (at moment with 5 springs) + these trem's work ok with a GraphTech Nut installed & Sperzel Trim-Lok.
Seymour Duncan, Cool Rails (Neck) SCR-1n                                                                   
Seymour Duncan, Vintage Rails (Middle) SVR-1n                                 
Seymour Duncan, Hot Rails  (Bridge) SHR-1b
Tele Knobs (tried using strat & speed knobs with position pointers, just didn't look right with this colour or something)
No strap buttons (as yet) don't really need in my situation.
No pickguard.
No Tremolo cover (waiting till I bed it in & decide on # of springs)
Roland GK-3 Internal Kit
Up / Down Buttons (changed from original to some bought at JayCar)
(Did this, as it will be easy to replace if ever needed + the holes needed drilling isn't as huge as the ones in the GK-3 kits)
(Also, now my little finger rests on the body, perfectly between these higher, up / down buttons) similar size / diameter to originals.
1 Volume ,1 Tone & 1 GK Volume, GK Switch (Black toggle cover, can take off) & Led & 5 way switch
(replaced the normal guitar volume, near bridge pickup, with the 'up button', as I don't like the volume on strats like that,
for-ever turning up or down the guitar volume accidentally)
Anyway a knob wouldn't fit there, when GK pickup installed in reverse.

Neck….
Warmoth, Stratocaster ®, Vintage Modern with skunk stripe, Maple Neck.
Raw Canary Fretboard (Just thought I'd try something different…….Raw)
1 11/16" Nut Width, GraphTech Black TUSQ XL (these are the best Nuts to have)……that just doesn't sound right !  :laughing7:
10-16" Compound Radius, 6150 size Frets, 25-1/2" Standard Thin Neck.
Vintage Tint Gloss, Black Face Dots Inlay,
Sperzel Trim-Lok Tuners, Satin Black
Custom Edition Neck Plate
Strings, Fender Nickel-Plated Super Bullets .010----.046

Guitar resides comfortably in a Gator Strat Hardcase

Most parts from Warmoth, then StewMac, Roland Australia, Greasygroove & Turramurra Music ….(already had spare strings, as ya do)

OK before I started this, I studied this page which shows where the chambering is done, on a Warmoth Chambered Strat.
(Can view at bottom of page, back & front to see where chambering & input holes are)
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Body/Stratocaster/Chambered/
After looking at this I came to the conclusion, that this would be very easy, to do a GK-3 Internal Kit install. Plenty of room.
Using rear routing !!

1st up, I made myself a safety plate / bracket (out of brass sheeting) to install the square hole needed for GK 13pin plug.
I mounted this using smaller screws (Humbucker pickup mount screws), onto where there was a 3/4'' side input hole pre drilled.
Then just drilled another later for the guitar input. When mounting GK 13pin connector later, I used some flat top larger screws.
With this bracket in place could easily cut around inside of square hole, to cut though the, Lovely, Band New, Gorgeouss  $$$ Finish…Ouch !  :toothy10:

In hindsight these plugs should be the other way around, as I was 1st thinking of, ie: the plastic plate would fit better to the flatter side.
Main reason being is that there is a lot less hacking / routing out of wood, as it's chambered, It would be heaps easier that way.
Only need to go in about 12mm (before hitting chamber) for the outer side square on these chambered bodies.
The inside is easy to get to (full length of control cavity) & can hack away to your hearts content.
(will get the idea in pic's taken)
Next time I will do it that way !
Just need a good square on the outer-side for the 13pin connector. Don't go to big now……or
Start thinking about making a new cover plate for both the GK 13pin connector & the Input connector. To cover any stuff up !!  :doh:

Also would have been even easier to install GK pickup, if I had a Humbucker at the bridge !
But got around this with using Strat Pickup Mounting Plate & just filed back, the bridge one, so as it would be parallel to the GK pickup.
Basically … to look right !
Hacked away a trench from inside bridge pickup cavity, to the top of body, so as GK pickup wiring would fit snuggly out of sight.
This was the most daring…'Scotch' needed …task.  :icon_biggrin:

The six holes on the body for the tremolo helped heaps in the aligning of GK-3 pickup (after initial trial setup)
But left the final placement (screws) for GK pickup till all was setup correctly.
Needed to cut 1 spring in half, for mounting of GK pickup.
Also I've reversed the GK pickup,  as I've a VG-99 & (GR-55 to come) with no usage dramas there at all, doing in reverse.
Sitting inside of the 20mm maximum distance from bridge, about 15-18mm.

Control cavity painted with 5 coats of Conductive Paint (StewMac) earthed & cover plate has copper tape on it.
NO conductive done in the pickup cavities at all.
It's the quietest (noiseless) Strat I have heard, on any pickup configuration.

Just enlarged pickup cavity with Dremel, so wires would fit better & enlarged hole on bridge pickup cavity for GK pickup wires.

The electric's was pretty straight forward, 90% soldered outside, 10% inside of control cavity. Just gotta get it in the right order.
(pic's will show that).
I should have videoed the whole GK-3 process. Pic's kind of in time lapse anyway……Oh well may-be next time.

Notes….
All that was used was a basic Dremel Tool Kit (a must have item) using attachment bits……  #194, #507,  #953, #8193
Drill & brand new 'Brad Point' Drill Bits (must have) & other sharp drill bits. (no drill press used, but can at times)
Soldering iron & other usual guitar tools & setup measurement devices.

Of cause when drilling holes or about to start hacking into a lovely brand new finish $$$ …… Ouch !!  :sad1:
Must have masking tape & a glass of 'Scotch' nearby (to get past the fear of stuffing it up) & be able to grit your teeth hard or
hold your breath, while tightening your bum cheeks as tight as you can & really in the end…….. just hope for the best.  :toothy11:

Or better still, if your not confident on drilling etc into a sparkling new finished body, get a un-finished body (may-be with no holes)
Do all your work 1st drilling / placement of holes & hacking, then paint , dye, spray it your self or get a pro to spray it…..safer bet.
But I did this on a already finished body, with no real drama's at all.

This was a very simple & very easy job to do, hell of a lot more easier than I 1st envisaged or was lead to believe.
I would do this again, No drama's at all…..No way would I have paid someone else to install this or build it…..why ? 
I believe what made this easy was the fact I started from a shell (body) from scratch.
If trying this on an already built guitar, that would be a hell of a lot harder, I believe.
Noticed you can get a Tele with a Strat rear rout, so could do what I've done on a Tele…….  Uummmm ….  :sign13:  may-be next time !

Please Note….
There seems to be more room using a rear routed body & can get to later, heaps easier than top routed bodies, using a pickguard.
Suppose using a pickguard (top rout) could really hide any stuff ups & could probably hack a lot more out underneath.
But...would have a hell of a job getting 13 pin connector in.

Anyway…..
This I class as my 1st guitar build job. Hey….even impressed myself  :icon_thumright:
Will put some sort of personal decals on headstocks of these's someday.

Hey….one thing I haven't said about this guitar, is that…….It works perfectly & I love it !!    :guitaristgif:
The Raw Neck (is slick as) the SD Pickups are perfect (no hum, buzz, anything) & the GK-3 kit all works fine……I'm in loooooove  :cool01:

Just like to personally thank Warmoth for their great products / service / posting etc etc etc Many thanks indeed…..I'm hooked  :redflag:

Anyway, think I've covered it all….here's some teaser pic's & I've put in some links below to photobucket.

For some strange reason, photobucket is showing in reverse order. Best to view all, then as side show backwards.
GK-3 Install…… http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/Zummooz/GK-3%20Install/
Rest of build….. http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/Zummooz/The%20Cigar/
Can view other RR Strat & other guitars / studio etc pic's

I really hope this might help other people in some way, as the GK-3 side of things was very simple indeed.
So any questions or queries ….. shoot.

C-YA…….off to light up my guitar  'The Cigar'    :party07:  …..Cheers

UpDown  :blob7:

6ffe512f.jpg

1616d288.jpg

6c0923a2.jpg

7cd8be06.jpg

Now that's a custom built guitar! Looks great.

Any reason why you didn't just go all-canary for the neck?

Great job! I'll bet that thing's fun.

I don't know why it never occurred to me before, but a canary fingerboard is a great way to get a sophisticated-looking maple 'board without some pesky finish on it. Even though I read the specs, when I saw the picture of the whole thing, I thought "Too bad about that maple 'board. But, wait! That looks too good to be regular ol' maple. Oh, yeah! It's not! What a great idea!"

Thanks for your kind comments  :icon_biggrin:

Disco Scottie said:
Any reason why you didn't just go all-canary for the neck?
No reason.... only that it was a showcase neck & body. Just trying to keep overall costs to a minimum at 1st try.

Now I've done that once, I'm already looking at my next Warmoth build, with a GK-3 Kit too.
But will go a little more expense this time, with a build to my spec's etc.

It is just beautiful to play & lots of fun, fun, fun, really love this & I own a Gibson LP & DarkFire.
Better pickups & heaps better than the RR Strat which has a GK-2

Pity pic's just don't do justice sometimes, always better in the raw flesh  :icon_smile:

Thanks again all.  :glasses9: 

Back