STDC Iceman Bass ****FINISHED PICS pg. 2****

Looking good Gary, and I noticed that with wenge, over time the shaft of the neck starts to darken with more and more usage. :headbang:

Still doing neck adjustments and intonating before I take it in for a new nut install, and then I'll do them again.  I've come to these conclusions:  1.) it's a heavy sum-uh-beotch.  2.) the 2, 3, and 4 switch positions sound so similar that I had to tap the pole pieces to make sure the switch was doing what it was supposed to.  3.)  Finding a case for this beast was an exercise in exercise.

Every position is parallel humbucking, just different combinations of North and South coils of each pickup.  In the case of the 3rd (middle) position, it's all the coils.  I went with parallel, as opposed to 180 degrees out-of-phase (a standard humbucker), because the parallel humbucking sound is the older MM style sound.  Some of the newer models do series.  With 5 positions and 3 that sound so similar, I think I'll mix it up.  Line6man did me a solid with the original wiring diagram, probably something so simple he could do in his sleep, lol.  I think a series 180 degrees out of phase humbucking bridge pickup may find it's way to one of the positions.

The case, well it wasn't the body shape, but the 4 in line headstock that made the bass especially long when added to the the fact the bridge isn't on the very end of the body.  If going 2x2 with the headstock, it would have fit in most rectangular, generic shaped, one size fits all bass case.  But as is, the end of the headstock wouldn't fit.  It fit in a gig bag, which I was not shopping for.  And it fit in the dreaded coffin case.  The reverse Fender headstocks on my 3 basses (and just ordered a 4th) is probably the big elephant in the room, especially on this body style, but the cat likes it.

030.jpg

The binding and that blue dye are perfect together. Is that new neck with the blocks and binding going on this one? The double binding would look great together. If they're the same color, that is.

This neck is staying on that.  I think I'm gonna do some kind of P-bass for the new neck, if only in body shape.  The binding on this body and new neck are different colors.  This body's binding is Ivoroid like your LP.  Besides, blocks and binding scream Fender.  The Fender headstock halfway works on this because of the wood colors.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I just saw Fender is making this now.  My first thought, "who would want a reverse headstock and 2 MM pickups?"

FenderJaguarReverse.jpg

Looks to me like Fender is making an attempt to appeal to the "Fenderbird" crowd that retrofits Jazz bass necks to bolt-neck Thunderbird bodies.

line6man said:
Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I just saw Fender is making this now.  My first thought, "who would want a reverse headstock and 2 MM pickups?"

FenderJaguarReverse.jpg

Looks to me like Fender is making an attempt to appeal to the "Fenderbird" crowd that retrofits Jazz bass necks to bolt-neck Thunderbird bodies.
It's their cabronita version of the jaguar bass, all reversed.

Back