Custom neckplate

Taking shape...

44976915711_70fc532b31_b.jpg

:icon_biggrin:

What's that - machinable wax or 3d printed polymer? Printed doesn't really make sense because of the amount of extra machined away. Hmmm.... can you do me a rounded both ends 2-hole Tele control plate minus the length of the switch for the left handed mini Tele project?

swarfrat said:
What's that - machinable wax or 3d printed polymer? Printed doesn't really make sense because of the amount of extra machined away. Hmmm.... can you do me a rounded both ends 2-hole Tele control plate minus the length of the switch for the left handed mini Tele project?
It's a machinable plastic used in making hydro-form molds and dies. I'm sure I can make what you need.

Cagey said:
Now it looks like a door stop on a rope.

You sir are a genious!!! Stamp or mold these suckers out of a high temp hard rubber or metal, and you can sell em to firefighters by the truckload. When I was running fire, guys would always stick door wedges in their helmet bands or pockets, but they don't nest. In volume you could make something (more or less that shape - doesn't need to have all the strat jack pretty shapes) - and you could have 10 or 20 disposable wedges in your pocket at any time. Maybe even stick em in a dispenser holder that pushes the next one up so you just grab a wedge and stop a door.

Must've taken some time, then. I busted an end mill recently by going too fast. Trying to reproduce an Earvana nut, using the drill press and an X/Y vise as a poor man's mill. But, the damn thing's too sloppy. It is as they say - you can drill with a mill, but you can't mill with a drill. Still, being the intrepid soul (read: idiot) that I am, I sometimes have to tempt fate re-learning lessons that have already been taught  :laughing7:

DangerousR6 said:
Got a custom Titanium plate for Big Steve...
45982406502_df0fee0ceb_b.jpg
Great work on the rose, Doug! That same rose is part of the headstock decal, and I was a little concerned that you might not be able to execute something that fine in metal. I appreciate the effort you put into your work. Each plate has a special meaning, and your diligence brings my designs to life. Thanks Brother!
:headbang:

Cagey said:
Must've taken some time, then. I busted an end mill recently by going too fast. Trying to reproduce an Earvana nut, using the drill press and an X/Y vise as a poor man's mill. But, the damn thing's too sloppy. It is as they say - you can drill with a mill, but you can't mill with a drill. Still, being the intrepid soul (read: idiot) that I am, I sometimes have to tempt fate re-learning lessons that have already been taught  :laughing7:
Nah, only took a few minuets. You are correct, a sloppy drill press is a no go on using it as a mill. Now if you have a good drill press that has a rigid enough spindle, you can get by with a little milling. Also you don't want to use a drill chuck for milling.

BigSteve22 said:
DangerousR6 said:
Got a custom Titanium plate for Big Steve...
45982406502_df0fee0ceb_b.jpg
Great work on the rose, Doug! That same rose is part of the headstock decal, and I was a little concerned that you might not be able to execute something that fine in metal. I appreciate the effort you put into your work. Each plate has a special meaning, and your diligence brings my designs to life. Thanks Brother!
:headbang:
Always a pleasure Steve... :icon_thumright:

Back