Custom neckplate

Hey, that's mine! Looks great, exactly what I wanted. It's for my flame maple/mahogany tobacco sunburst Strat. Thanks Doug!  :hello2:

I might experiment with a water-jet machine at work next week and see what I can do on my own. Our machines can do text, but the W would have to be done in AutoCAD, and exported to .DXF format. It wouldn't be etching, it would be cutting it out.

Is there a way to import a jpg or similar into CAD, or go straight from jpg or whatever to DXF?

esabtech said:
Hey, that's mine! Looks great, exactly what I wanted. It's for my flame maple/mahogany tobacco sunburst Strat. Thanks Doug!  :hello2:

I might experiment with a water-jet machine at work next week and see what I can do on my own. Our machines can do text, but the W would have to be done in AutoCAD, and exported to .DXF format. It wouldn't be etching, it would be cutting it out.

Is there a way to import a jpg or similar into CAD, or go straight from jpg or whatever to DXF?
Ohhhhh, water jets are cool, wish we had one.. Autocad won't import jpg's, I convert the jpg's in Corel to a bitmap and export as a .dxf into Surfcam. :icon_biggrin:

Just finished this one for kruneh, he's another one from Norway... :icon_biggrin:
kruneh.jpg

Also did a test for laptopken's fluer de lis....black plate with the fluer painted gold.. :glasses9:
1261865528.jpg

buckallred said:
So what exactly is the procedure for gettin one of these neckplates?
Shoot me a pm with your idea, preferably with a drawing or picture if possible... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
esabtech said:

Ohhhhh, water jets are cool, wish we had one.. Autocad won't import jpg's, I convert the jpg's in Corel to a bitmap and export as a .dxf into Surfcam. :icon_biggrin:

Did some searching, and found a program for Linux that will take a BMP or similar type file, and convert it to DXF. Its called Inkscape. After that I just imported the DXF on one of our machines, and created the CNC program from there. I did the one below with a plasma marking process. Quick and dirty. I will use the water jet Monday and actually cut one out.

W_neckplate.jpg

esabtech said:
DangerousR6 said:
esabtech said:

Did some searching, and found a program for Linux that will take a BMP or similar type file, and convert it to DXF. Its called Inkscape. After that I just imported the DXF on one of our machines, and created the CNC program from there. I did the one below with a plasma marking process. Quick and dirty. I will use the water jet Monday and actually cut one out.

W_neckplate.jpg

That's gnarly.

esabtech said:
DangerousR6 said:
esabtech said:

Did some searching, and found a program for Linux that will take a BMP or similar type file, and convert it to DXF. Its called Inkscape.
Inkscape is a SVG program much like Corel Draw that I use... :icon_thumright:

I rather like Inkscape, though I don't use it much. I was planning on breaking it out on my pickguard design.

DangerousR6 said:
Pretty cool.... :icon_thumright:

What material did you use for the plate?

Its the neck plate that was left over after putting the nice one I got from you on my Strat. So, whatever that is, chrome plated copper? Actually, that is the back side in the picture. The plan was to test it on the back, and then do the real thing on the front. But, on the first try the plasma left an outline on the other side from the heat, and warped the plate a little, too. Like I said, quick and dirty.

DangerousR6 said:
Just finished this one for kruneh, he's another one from Norway... :icon_biggrin:
kruneh.jpg

Just home from vacation and the first I see is this pic  :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
Can´t wait to get it !
You nailed it Doug  :eek:ccasion14:

kruneh said:
DangerousR6 said:
kruneh.jpg

Just home from vacation and the first I see is this pic  :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
Can´t wait to get it !
You nailed it Doug  :eek:ccasion14:
It's on it's way to ya Kai... :icon_thumright:

That won't display unless you have Japanese character support, but do you think you could put that on a plate?

DangerousR6 said:
knucklehead G said:

That won't display unless you have Japanese character support, but do you think you could put that on a plate?
Yip.... :icon_thumright:

It means Tanuki. A tanuki is a raccoon-dog in Japan known for having large manly parts, while the Tanuki is a figure from Japanese folklore (in)famous for loving good food, sake and women a little too much. At night he can be heard playing his stomach like a drum (the original bassist..?) in the forest. Following the, "It takes a thief to catch a thief," logic, he's come to be a symbol of prosperity, as well as protection against fire and theft if you believe anything Tom Robbins writes.

If its associated with music, money, women and booze, and protects against fire and theft, I think its a right lucky thing to slap on a Warmoth. That on a black plate would be studly. I think I'd paint it black, as I don't want any chrome showing, but you'd still be able to see it since its engraved right?

Back