Custom neckplate

I do have a question to ask in regards to neckplate engraving. What method do you prefer for the engraving--a literal engraving or a laser etching?  A laser etching shop opened up by my mother-in-law, and I am tempted to inquire about prices, but I wanted to see if anyone's gone that route, and how the results were.

I've seen the laser Etched in Person. and thats the way I will go. I wish DR6 would do that. because I would love to support a fellow forum member.

but yeah...

Nope, no laser engraving in my future. I wish I had the means to buy a laser engraver, they're cool machines... :dontknow:

Nope, no laser neck plates are going on my geetars.
Sorry, they just look like some mass produced, anybody can have one, common piece of design plate.
Neck wear by Dangerous is truly one of a kind custom art. 
I would settle for nothing less...
:rock-on: 

I'm happy that people love DR6's neck plates. but when I can get a photograph of something I've painted on a chunk of metal on the neck of my guitar... Or a beautiful girl I know. with alls sorts of TINY design work custom Rendered on it.

I'd have to be mildly retarded to think a smooth perfect finish over that would look mass produced.

if you want something BOLD people can identify from across the room, go R6

if you want a Photographic Quality Image. go Laser

both will get you something no one else has.

Its really only a matter of taste.

I currently have 5 warmoths...one with a plain plate (can you believe that!!), 2 with a DANGEROUS plate and two with laser.  They each have their own qualities.  It all depends on the look you want to achieve.  I have had masses of compliments on BOTH.

I do not think either style looks mass produced.  I had these made recently.  I seem to be going through a zeppelin phase...(it happens every third year or so... :icon_biggrin:)

the color of my hardware also help pick the style...I absolutley LOVE my Black neckplate that dangerousR6 did...the contrast is awesome.  They stand out from across the stage. :headbang1:

I acually have the next design all picked out for Dangerous...I just need a guitar to put it on....

Black Dog said:
Nope, no laser neck plates are going on my geetars.
Neck wear by Dangerous is truly one of a kind custom art. 
I would settle for nothing less...
:rock-on:   

Ditto

DangerousR6 said:
Thanks for all the props my bretheren, I truely do appreciate it...Y'all rock.... :headbang1:

You earned it.  I love when I go to the local guitar center with a warmoth and go to check it in.  Since there is no brand or serial number they always use the neckplate. 

I wonder why big brands do not do nice plates?  I always like the look of my Charvel carved plate.

What does everybody finish their R6 plate with.  I did clear finger nail polish on the 1st.  After 2+ years, it's showing rust.  My most recent I plan on doing clear spray paint.

DMRACO said:
I wonder why big brands do not do nice plates?  I always like the look of my Charvel carved plate.

OEMs are funny. They'd sell their own mothers for 10 cent production cost reduction, and if their marketing weenies force them to add something, it goes on at roughly cost x 100. So, instead of a $.40 cent neck plate adding 40 cents to the retail price of a fiddle, it becomes a $40 adder. I know you can't do anything without adding a percentage for profit, but many American manufacturers seem to have a hard-on for their customer base. Can't do that and be competitive. Enter China, South Korea, Japan, the black market, et al.

I know the GOOD laser ones get sealed.

I imagine it would be wise to do the same with R6 plates. as the silvery bits are raw and exposed metal. prone to oxidation.

though I say dip it in acid and oxidize it on purpose. that would look wicked.

I have found an alternative to the standard "steel" neck plates. I can get solid brass polished, and black anodized aluminum, polished clear anodized aluminum. But these plates are bit more expensive than the steel plates, however they won't rust...  :dontknow:
neckplateBlackAnoBrush.JPG

neckplatealumpol.JPG

neckplateflatpolished.JPG

The black would look cool.  The Brass would too up until the 1st gig...it would tarning like crazy.  It would need to be sealed too...unless you like that kind of thing.  ...BTW...not issues with rust on my current dangerous plates...

DMRACO said:
The black would look cool.  The Brass would too up until the 1st gig...it would tarning like crazy.  It would need to be sealed too...unless you like that kind of thing.  ...BTW...not issues with rust on my current dangerous plates...
I think most of the earlier issues of rusting were due to the coolant we used in the machine......It locked up 2 different $500 vises, we have since stopped using that brand of coolant in the machine, and I quit using coolant altogether on the plates and so far have not heard of any other rusting problems.... :dontknow:

My plate has a bit of rust but it's nothing to complain about. Gives it character. Nope, my only complaint is that the edges are rough. Snags on my shirt sometimes and leaves a "ticky" on there. But, fantastic plate and everyone thinks it's cool.
MULLY
they love my EVH plate too

Back