Crazy Jazzmaster Build coming soon...

McHale

Untitled.jpg

Here's a sneak peek.

Bill Edwards 1 3/4" locking nut, ebony fretboard, custom waterslide.

This will be a hardtail.

Last edited:
The only thing Jazzmaster about it will be the body shape and upper controls. According to a bandmate, it's completely ridiculous. A hardtail with locking nut and locking tuners makes him cringe. For me, it's all about the convenience of fast and easy string changes and tuning stability. I actually have 2 similar Jazzmaster builds going on at the same time but this thread will be dedicated to the Warmoth build. The neck, body, pickguard, and most parts are from Warmoth. This will not be gigged in my band.

The other build I took an existing Jazzmaster and doing a very similar config (minus the locking nut and 50's style jazzmaster controls). I'm going to finish this one first to see if I like the 3 way freeway switch. If I do it will change whether or not I make additional cutouts on the Warmoth pickguard.

does the hard tail have fine tuners?? as much as daddy loves his Floyd's and as well set up as i can make them, i always need a tiny bit of futzing (not a cuss, FYI, its a real word) with the fine tuners to get things back to perfecto after locking the lock nut

Not sure about locking tuners AND a locking nut. I understand tuning stability, but I can play live on stage for an hr plus before needing to adjust (normally for temp changes). I always thought I was sensitive to tuning. Got proved right the other night at rehearsal. Keyboard sound off. Sure enough it was 442 Hz and not 440.

Some people worry alot about tuning stability, others , not so much.
Personally, locking Tuners are enough for me. I think though it's going to come out uber cool. I'm following

does the hard tail have fine tuners?? as much as daddy loves his Floyd's and as well set up as i can make them, i always need a tiny bit of futzing (not a cuss, FYI, its a real word) with the fine tuners to get things back to perfecto after locking the lock nut

It does. For my "live" JM, I'm using one of those TP-6 knockoffs. I've purchased a few different brands of them and finally found a high quality one. For the Warmoth build I'm using the Schaller stop tail with fine tuners. Sadly, when I decided to build this they were out of production and no amount of calls to Schaller could find one and calling every vendor online that claimed to have one yielded nothing. By luck, I found a Schaller made fine tuning stop tailpiece that they OEM'd for some boutique builder. I'll run that until I can locate a minty Schaller.

I've got a lot of guitars with trems on them and as much as I like to pretend, I'm not Eddie Van Halen. I don't play like him nor would his whammy tricks work in the music I play and am more than content with a fixed bridge. Like you I really like the fine tuners on a bridge/tailpiece for fine tuning.

Last edited:
Not sure about locking tuners AND a locking nut.

Locking tuners and a locking nut perform two separate functions.

The locking tuners allow me to restring a broken string in less than a minute. The locking part grabs the string so you don't need a bunch of winds and it cuts down on binding issues when making the strings do funky things. It's purpose for me is easy/fast string changes only. I have the same tuners on all of my guitars now. They aren't really any cheaper to NOT get locking tuners.

The locking nut eliminates any potential for string binding at the nut. The Bill Edwards locking nut keeps the string changes fast.

I do have one more pic as I dig through my phone. I don't have a middle pickup planned but figured I'd cut it in "just in case." All I had was the narrow copper tape so I used what I had. It's ugly but will work and nobody will see it when it's done.

1699403313978.jpeg

So I got a few layers of paint on the headstock of JM#2 (this is the refinished Jazzmaster where I'll be testing some things before I complete my Warmoth build). I learned a VERY valuable lesson on JM#2. Wet sanding when there are pre-existing drilled holes leads to cracks in the wood and existing finish. Oh well, it is what it is. The pickguard is going to cover them up for the most part (at least I think).

I had to stand at a distance to get the color changing effect but you can sort of see it. I hope the body shows it better.

1699547627148.png

1699547642384.png

Have a few coats on the body now. I'm not good at painting stuff but it will look decent once I get some clear and the hardware on there. As it'll be my main gigging guitar it's going to get banged up eventually anyway.

Looking forward to getting this done so I can finish the Warmoth build (with a professional finish).

Attachments

• signal-2023-11-09-150926_003.jpeg
    signal-2023-11-09-150926_003.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 6
  • signal-2023-11-09-150926_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-11-09-150926_002.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 8
I can relate , I don't need no binding or excess bling, give me ss frets and quality parts for a good playing guitar that I'm not scared to scratch or bang up.

I can relate , I don't need no binding or excess bling, give me ss frets and quality parts for a good playing guitar that I'm not scared to scratch or bang up.

This 1 million percent. On the body above, I didn't bother with wood filler. I sanded it down, put on the primer coat and went to town on the chameleon paint. The dents I would have patched up are going to be back soon. It's just how it goes when you play live. I play guitar and keys (often at the same time) so the guitar hitting the keyboard and/or stand happens a few times a night even when I'm careful. My Warmoth build stays at the house. In fact, I decided to not even put strap buttons on it. It'll be my jazz/finger picking guitar. I have enough guitars with similar specs I can knock over on stage.

Have a few coats on the body now. I'm not good at painting stuff but it will look decent once I get some clear and the hardware on there. As it'll be my main gigging guitar it's going to get banged up eventually anyway.

Looking forward to getting this done so I can finish the Warmoth build (with a professional finish).
That galaxy themed colorway looks awesome. How's your build project?

That galaxy themed colorway looks awesome. How's your build project?

The Warmoth guitar is stuck in a holding pattern. All of the parts are gathered and mounted. All that needs to be done is finish wiring the pickguard. I can't do that until I finish the one I just refinished. On JM#2 I'm installing a Freeway Threeway switch. I need to know how that works/sounds. If I like it, I'll use that on the Warmoth. If not, I have to cut up the Warmoth pickguard to add switching options.

The good news is, both guitars are close. All that needs to happen on JM#2 is clear (and wait to cure). The pickguard is soldered up and ready to install.

Back