Coronavirus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, some of those "crazy, vivid dreams" can be... interesting  :laughing7:

Ive been watching from a distance but this morning when my 9 year old woke up with a fever the enormity of the situation hit home hard. I have no reason to believe she has Covid-19, but wow, what a wake up call.

Couple that with my wife unable to find toilet paper, meat, eggs, and now even canned foods with six kids to feed my anxiety is ramping up. I’m fasting a few days a weeks to preserve resources for my family until things stabilize a bit. My families wealth has dramatically eroded, but I don’t even care. All I want is toilet paper.

With reports this might be an 18 month pandemic my spending habits have changed too. Future Warmoth purchases are on indefinite hold until I’m confident we can obtain healthy food. I’m sorry, but I’m not interested in take out, however I have a new appreciation for our farm communities and will gladly spend a few extra bucks for milk and eggs.

Are your spending habits changing too?

Not really, but meal planning has changed a bit. Rather than hoard, I just buy stuff that has a long shelf life, and fill in the gaps with things that don't. I'll just eat the perishables/short-dated stuff first. Which, now that I think about it, is pretty much standard procedure anyway.

Already had a reasonable supply of non-perishable stuff, simply because shopping isn't something I enjoy or can do easily (I don't drive), so I've always bought enough of things that don't go bad or deteriorate so I wouldn't have to deal with them again for some time.

Hong Kong people’s can be seen over reacting in eye of other country, and we “over done “ a lot more than government “ask for “ .

That purely benefit-driven economic animal . 2003 SARS era is deepest wound in Hong Kong people’s heart , not only because it takes few hundred lives directly , most profound lesson is it cost Home price drop 70% from pecks in 1997 , then go up around 600% up to now .
A lot more people dead not by  SARS Coronavirus in 2003 , but suicide for negative equity on home mortgage , that what can happened to economic if government not deal with it right.

OG-BF734_HKHOUS_4U_20180320044039.png

Just watched some of Hendrix's videos.  Canada has started following South Korea's example:  Ontario is in a state of emergency.  All restaurants are shut down.  Schools are closed.  Drive-through testing started last week.  Gatherings larger than 50 are banned, and I'm thinking that number will shrink.  Grocery stores now have access rules.  Folks are working from home if they can.  Everyone is practicing 'social distancing', which essentially means don't get within 2m of someone outside of your family.  Border is shut to non-canadians, with the exception of truckers from the US who are screened at the border and are returned to the other side that day.  Returning Canadians are in 2 week isolation.  We're being addressed by the top federal health people each night about the status of the outbreak.

We're prepared to weather it, but the message is that it will get worse before it gets better.

Mayfly said:
Just watched some of Hendrix's videos.  Canada has started following South Korea's example:  Ontario is in a state of emergency.  All restaurants are shut down.  Schools are closed.  Drive-through testing started last week.  Gatherings larger than 50 are banned, and I'm thinking that number will shrink.  Grocery stores now have access rules.  Folks are working from home if they can.  Everyone is practicing 'social distancing', which essentially means don't get within 2m of someone outside of your family.  Border is shut to non-canadians, with the exception of truckers from the US who are screened at the border and are returned to the other side that day.  Returning Canadians are in 2 week isolation.  We're being addressed by the top federal health people each night about the status of the outbreak.

We're prepared to weather it, but the message is that it will get worse before it gets better.

This is essentially the situation in the Seattle area now.

We are still reporting to work at Warmoth. My commute is the best it's been in 20 years.

the last thing I'm gonna do is trust youtube vids about any of this stuff. just stick with the cdc and who (health organization, not the band). And stop coming to my store and buying 100 cans of beans. other people like beans too. i can watch every thing you animals do.

How is every body's social distancing going? im doing fine but some people in my 'hood (neighborhood or local area) cant seem to understand the gravy of the situation.

Janice, a 93 year-old semi-mobile corpse from across the street who owns chickens and has a small sign in her front yard that read' though I may stumble, I will not fall, for the Lord upholds me with his hand",  Which is false, cuz i've seen Janice fall at least three times. despite a decade or two of using a walker each outing appears to be the 1st time shes ever seen one; there’s no ‘lift, place, step, repeat’ rhythm, it is just random flailing and clanks. saw her using it upside down once, holding onto the tennis balls. On one occasion, she somehow managed to throw the walker ten feet ahead, fell, and couldn’t get up for several minutes. I would have eventually helped but a Amazon driver stopped and lifted her off the road before I finished my coffee. Plus as an 'old', i kinda didna wanna take the chance that she had the 'vid (covid). And I probably would've had to talk to her,but im not great at small talk. Apparently the key is to ask Q' s (questions) and show genuine interest in the answers but who has genuine interest on tap? 

BroccoliRob said:
cing going? im doing fine but some people in my 'hood (neighborhood or local area) cant seem to understand the gravy of the situation.

Everyone in my circles are doing everything they can and it seems like most other people are around here too. Even if only half the people do it, the payoffs could be huge. Here's something I wrote the other day, it was intended for people I know but I suspect that it applies to most of the US and other countries as well:

"Shutting gatherings down, businesses down, working from home and social distancing is a major hardship. It is a big, big, deal. Yeah, there have been toilet paper fights and some other goofy things, but almost everyone has gotten on board in under a week.
When have so many people gotten on board with something so big so quickly? Once a generation? Once every few generations? It is a genuinely tremendous feat. It will save tens if not hundreds of thousands of lives. It is something we should all be proud of. I believe it will be looked upon with great reverence by future generations. I think you should all give yourselves a pat on the back and keep up the good work."

spe111 said:
BroccoliRob said:
cing going? im doing fine but some people in my 'hood (neighborhood or local area) cant seem to understand the gravy of the situation.

Everyone in my circles are doing everything they can and it seems like most other people are around here too. Even if only half the people do it, the payoffs could be huge. Here's something I wrote the other day, it was intended for people I know but I suspect that it applies to most of the US and other countries as well:

"Shutting gatherings down, businesses down, working from home and social distancing is a major hardship. It is a big, big, deal. Yeah, there have been toilet paper fights and some other goofy things, but almost everyone has gotten on board in under a week.
When have so many people gotten on board with something so big so quickly? Once a generation? Once every few generations? It is a genuinely tremendous feat. It will save tens if not hundreds of thousands of lives. It is something we should all be proud of. I believe it will be looked upon with great reverence by future generations. I think you should all give yourselves a pat on the back and keep up the good work."

Well said. If, as a group we can achieve cooperatively what we did during WWII, we will come out of it better and stronger. Whether or not we can still do this, I have my hopes and my doubts. I hoping the hopes win.

I'm hopeful.

There are very few things in life that can bring together a large and diverse group of people and unite them in a common cause.

"Good" things that can do this are exceedingly rare. Maybe a sports team going to the championships, a moon landing, or some other human triumph. Most of the things that unite us are bad things. Natural disasters, wars, tragedies such as 9/11, etc.

IMO, if anything good is to come of this, it will be that for the rest of my lifetime, across the entire world, no matter who I meet, no matter where they are from or what their beliefs are, no matter how differently we may feel about the world, the universe, and all that is in it....we will have this in common. That we all sacrificed together to overcome something that threatened all of us.

Remember back in 2020, when for a short time the whole world was on the same team?

News today has been hopeful for the first time in a while. For the first time, a promising treatment. A lot more ventiallators, vaccine progress. I'm optimistic that this will flatten out in a few weeks.

I’m also in Seattle / Kirkland area and wfh but the commute - omg I can drive the speed limit regularly in daylight hours, it hasn’t been like this in 25 years.

Seriously folks are keeping distance and to themselves and spirits are mostly up but it’s hard being isolated.

I like the world where I live.  It's quieter.  Civilized..  People being polite.  It's like NYC after 9/11.  People got a view of their mortality treated their fellow man with respect.  It lasted a year then everyone went back to normal.

Now where's my Wuhan virus money!

Wise move. You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo :icon_thumright:

I live in Auburn, Wa & work in Kent with a commute of about 6 miles, but as of tomorrow, I'll be assigned a laptop & computer phone and I'll be working from home on a dedicated VPN.

Lead And brass = precious metals.
Unfortunately most of my prior investment is now in the wrong denominations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back