Chambered Strat Baritone

TonyW said:
Hi Chris havent tried Danish oil but i have bucket loads of tru oil to use up and 20 coats is only a guesstimate.
I will judge it on how the body takes it. I have a bit of prepping and sealing to do before hand but at the moment i have a nasty
cold/flu thingy so it aint an ideal time.
I have some Aussie made Timbermate water based wood filler in natural, recommended to me by a Luthier friend
and a bucket load of Birchwood Casey sealer and filler so i need to decide which way to go, maybe the Timbermate then
the BC sealer filler.
normal_sealerfill.jpg
Tony

How much coverage do you get from the tru oil?

Thanks
Chris

TonyW said:
I have rosewood pickup rings on it that i ordered from Stew Mac, i want to bring the grain up on them a bit and darken them,
should i just lemon oil them, i have plenty, or should i tru oil them knowing that the rosewood is oily
although in this instance a little dry.

barimock-002aa.jpg

I've been kind of "eeh - not my thing" about this project before, but that looks fantastic! Well done. Oh and to add substance to this post, I'll agree that lemon oil will probably be fine.

chrisg said:
TonyW said:
Hi Chris havent tried Danish oil but i have bucket loads of tru oil to use up and 20 coats is only a guesstimate.
I will judge it on how the body takes it. I have a bit of prepping and sealing to do before hand but at the moment i have a nasty
I have some Aussie made Timbermate water based wood filler in natural, recommended to me by a Luthier friend
and a bucket load of Birchwood Casey sealer and filler so i need to decide which way to go, maybe the Timbermate then
the BC sealer filler.
normal_sealerfill.jpg
Tony

Thanks
Chris

Chis from the small bottle 3floz or 90ml i got 8 coats on the neck, 10 coats on the guitar and 1 coat in the cavities  except for F hole with the dregs. I have buckets of the stuff, didnt have a clue how much i needed, i would say i may use another 1/2 to a full small bottle

I've been kind of "eeh - not my thing" about this project before, but that looks fantastic! Well done. Oh and to add substance to this post, I'll agree that lemon oil will probably be fine

kboman Thanks for the feedback mate, even i had a stage where i was a bit iffy on it but its all good now. Lemon oil going on the pup rings in about 30mins.

TonyW said:
chrisg said:
TonyW said:
the BC sealer filler.
normal_sealerfill.jpg
Tony

Thanks
Chris

Chis from the small bottle 3floz or 90ml i got 8 coats on the neck, 10 coats on the guitar and 1 coat in the cavities  except for F hole with the dregs. I have buckets of the stuff, didnt have a clue how much i needed, i would say i may use another 1/2 to a full small bottle

I've been kind of "eeh - not my thing" about this project before, but that looks fantastic! Well done. Oh and to add substance to this post, I'll agree that lemon oil will probably be fine

kboman Thanks for the feedback mate, even i had a stage where i was a bit iffy on it but its all good now. Lemon oil going on the pup rings in about 30mins.
Thanks Tony, let me know if you want to sell some. I live in Canberra so not too far to post, and I only need enough to do a neck.
Cheers Chris

15th and final coat done, i have to wait a week or two for it to fully cure then its 6000 grit, then 8000 grit, then finish off with 12000 grit just gently rubbing over the surface each pass of the sandpapers and this should bring up a nice shine.

final-coat.jpg

Have finally finished the tru oil and final buff, waited a week after my last coats then buffed out with synthetic steel wool 000 then 0000 and it worked a treat. Will give it a final polish after its setup.

Installed the string ferruls and set my long shaft pots up with them distanced just right using the rear nut as the stopper, so then its set up for a straight install after wiring and everything fits nice. Dont wire your pots then realise you have to adjust the length of them, get it all set up then dismantle it for again for wiring. We are talking about rear routes here.

I need to use some copper shielding tape then i will do a full install of the electrics.

set up is
4 way oak switch position 4 will be pickups in series

Volume pot 500k CRL long shaft

Tone 1 self made no load 500k CRL pot, means i am able to take it out of the circuit on 10

Tone 2: Stellatone tonestyler, 0 is true bypass then 15 other cap values in a mil spec pot.

bariwire11.jpg

bariwire112.jpg

Switch fits perfect although i actually had to give the volume and tone holes a small going over with a round file so the pots fit , but it was a just a minor thing that takes 2 minute to fix

Starting to move along nicely now, some shielding and wiring then the necks on for a setup and trial.

I just realised i dont have 2 shorter neck screws for the tapered heel and Stew Mac is a fortnight away from having some, maybe i should cut down a normal neck screw to size? any ideas would be helpful.

Today i copper shielded the pickup cavities and the rear route cavity, talk about a pain in the butt, long monotonous work, i will pay the extra for the paint in future, 3 times more for 30 times less hassle. I also drilled the holes and mounted the rosewood humbucker rings and set the pickups up ready for wiring and proper installation, probably tomorrow.
shield-001AA.jpg

shield-002AA.jpg

shield-003aaa.jpg

The light catching the shielding makes it look rough but its actually smooth to look at. I only cut myself on the copper once but it was a goodin.

I have hydrated the pickup rings with a little lemon oil.

Looking good! Are the pickups in actual black or is it the angle of the light?

(and if they are - :icon_thumright:!)

TonyW said:
I just realised i dont have 2 shorter neck screws for the tapered heel and Stew Mac is a fortnight away from having some, maybe i should cut down a normal neck screw to size? any ideas would be helpful.

Home Depot or Lowes.  :icon_thumright:

There's nothing magical about the neck screws from a guitar parts shop. I did order mine from Warmoth when I ordered my guitars, but only because of the convenience factor.

kboman: Yes the pickups are black, very well made too albeit heavy slugs.

Death by Uberschall: Thanks for the info mate  :icon_thumright: i checked out Bunnings and Mitre10 our equivalent,
i wanted black ones but they havent got them so i will use a pair of shorter gold ones i have here for now.

Wiring today and ream out my bottom E sperzal to take the baritone strings then hopefully a setup.

One thing i have learnt was dont put time frames on builds, i am already 6 weeks behind on this one.  :dontknow:

i love it
the little waves or quilts in the ash just make the guitar for me  :toothy10:
nice finish job too
:rock-on:

Patrick said:
i love it
the little waves or quilts in the ash just make the guitar for me  :toothy10:
nice finish job too
:rock-on:

Thats what originally caught my eye too, all that grain, and up on the top bout theres a crocodile, well it looks like a croc  :laughing7:
Its amazing what you find as you work on it, i am still finding features in the grain that astound me.

Death by Uberschall said:
TonyW said:

Home Depot or Lowes.  :icon_thumright:

There's nothing magical about the neck screws from a guitar parts shop. I did order mine from Warmoth when I ordered my guitars, but only because of the convenience factor.
I'm not sure they have those stores in Australia..... :dontknow:

Looking good Tony, can't wait to see it done... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Death by Uberschall said:
TonyW said:

Home Depot or Lowes.  :icon_thumright:

I'm not sure they have those stores in Australia..... :dontknow:

Looking good Tony, can't wait to see it done... :icon_thumright:

Yeah, forgot he was from down under.

Back