Chambered Strat Baritone

Hi mate

seems to be a few doing Baritones and the more the merrier so we can compare notes.

Good stuff i love the sound of them.

My new Baritone is now a Strat Subsonic style chambered swamp ash with a countoured heel routed Humbucker neck, Humbucker Bridge but will have Harminic Design Z90's in the routes. Bridge is Vintage Hardtail.

s3207A.jpg

s3207B.jpg

Question about the jack route, does a rear route accept a Start jackplate or is it a tele style route?

Cant wait to see this Tru Oiled

Funny how ideas change

If you plan on staining the neck, be aware that Warmoth seals them. While it doesn't count as a finish, you may find that you need to lightly sand the neck to get the wood stainable. This was my experience with a mahogany W neck. A light sanding did the trick, though.

Sounds promising. You specify the jack when you order - they can do either top or side jack on a rear route, I believe.

whitebison66 said:
If you plan on staining the neck, be aware that Warmoth seals them. While it doesn't count as a finish, you may find that you need to lightly sand the neck to get the wood stainable. This was my experience with a mahogany W neck. A light sanding did the trick, though.

Thanks for the heads up.

I was aware that the neck is sealed but hadnt read about having to do a light sanding which i was going to do with 0000 steel wool before i started and after each coat. Its winter here in Aussie so i will start the stain in warmenr months.

tfarny said:
Sounds promising. You specify the jack when you order - they can do either top or side jack on a rear route, I believe.

Thanks for that

When i ordered the body i left the jack out and put a question in the notes about whats available top mount or side jack,
i am thinking of the strat style top mount but will wait until i hear from Warmoth.

cheers
Tony

The body should be here today, thats just under 2 weeks since i ordered it so well done Warmoth

I have ordered a pair of Harmonic design Z90's neck and bridge should be 2 to 4 weeks away.

And some more parts arrived yesterday so everything appears to be falling into place and will start Tru oiling the neck
tomorrow Saturday.

Well the bodies here but the neck doesnt fit into the neck pocket :eek:

A bit of light sanding on the bottom side of the pocket route should see it slot right in

Time to get busy  :blob7:

newbari.jpg

Give it a few days to acclimatize, some people have seen parts fit after that without sanding.  :)

The build looks nice in any case, congrats.

Mark said:
Give it a few days to acclimatize, some people have seen parts fit after that without sanding.  :)

The build looks nice in any case, congrats.

Thanks for the heads up about the climate and the timber, it actually crossed my mind as well and had proposed to let it sit until i tru oiled the neck. I think the amount its out would be lucky to be 1/16 having a second look at it.

cheers
Tony

I'm a little late. On the subject of Sperzels:
As far as I know, this dude is the best place.
http://www.tkinstruments.com/id75.htm

MUYFUE said:
I'm a little late. On the subject of Sperzels:
As far as I know, this dude is the best place.
http://www.tkinstruments.com/id75.htm

Thanks for the lead mate but the tuners are done and dusted. Got them from New Zealand cheaper than the US or Aussie.

bariup04.jpg

The neck and body fit

bariup01.jpg

bariup02.jpg

bariup03.jpg

guess i have my weekend cut out  :icon_thumright:

Just a word on the Sperzels and as pointed out by tfarny earlier, the maximum string guage they will take stock is .058 they can be reamed through the string post to a max of  .070 i will use .063 or .068 on the bottom

cheers

Time to Tru Oil the neck

first masked off the rosewood fret board.

tru02.jpg

Stuff i need

Tru Oil, Naptha(lighter fluid), 0000 Steel wool, cotton gloves and an old cotton T shirt (dont use any of the printing on the t shirts)
tru01.jpg

from this point dont touch the neck with your bare hands , put the gloves on.

1st i washed the neck down with some Naptha on a rag to get any oils or dirt out of the timber, then after its  light buff with steel wool then run a magnet over it to pick up any little pieces of metal.

tru03.jpg

tru04.jpg

Next with a cotton swab made from the t-shirt, evenly wipe a thin coat of tru oil over the neck then let it dry. After it dries ( an hour or 2) its steelwool the surface then i will add another coat of tru oil and leave it for 24-48 hours then repeat the procedure tru oil dry steel wool it until i have 6 to 8 coats and then the  neck is ready and playable.

tru05.jpg

first coat finished, now to wait until it dries

tru06.jpg

More to come

Really? Thats all it takes to tru-oil a neck? And thats a good strong finish?

Dang, im glad I didnt pay for someone to ever finish a neck for me yet haha.

Well i aint ever tru oiled a neck/body before but its so easy eh!!

Have just done the second coat and it looks cherry ripe already.

Sanded out the neck pocket with some 180grit until i could just
slot the neck, it was just the slightest bit out it took at most 15mins to get it nice and snug.
I have a few more coats of tru oil to go on the neck so will look at it again once the necks finished and touch it up.

http://www.tonywatkinsmusic.com/gallery/albums/userpics/Pictur

e-027.jpg

While i was away at the Hardware for some more sanding gear these

turned up in my letter box, Harmonic Design Z90's

e-028.jpg

3 weeks from ordering to turning up on my doorstep, i was quoted 4

weeks so well done seeing as these are made to order.

e-030.jpg

1st mock up

e-032.jpg

Will start sanding and sealing the body soon in prep for quite a

few coats of tru oil. I was going to go for a vintage slighly

yellowish looking tint, but i am going to leave it natural and see how it comes out.

Nearly have all my parts except for neck plate and humbucker rings, Neck needs one more coat and then i will give the frets a touch up and install the tuners.

partsup.jpg

Havent decided which knobs to go with yet Gibbos or the strat, I have all the wire, baritone strings, .033 NOS paper in oil cap long shaft 500k pots and the Tonestyler good to go.

I will start on the body now the weather is good in the next week.

I love this build, I am excited to see it come together.

You should post pics with both knobs, even if they are just set on there. I have always wanted to see how the gibson knobs looked on a rear routed strat.

Back