Chambered Strat Baritone

Hi mate glad you like it
I will do a mock up soon, i got the Strat ones because i needed the switch tip and the gibsons i liked the look of, or maybe for a 12string build that i might make out of a LPS body. I like the look of the gibson ones but havent put them oagainst the body yet. I might have to put it to a vote haha.

cheers
Tony

That's coming along nice, but that Wild Turkey shirt was cool as hell.  Couldn't you have used a shirt with a bunch of holes in it that said something like, "Team Building Exercise '99?"

TonyW said:
Parts i now have in stock

Vintage wire, shielded Gibbo type and Vintage fender style pushback
250k CTS tone and Volume
NOS mil spec K42Y-2 Russian Paper in Oil Capacitor 0.047uF,160v,+/- 10% Tolerance
GFS Strat Lipstick RWRP for the neck

normal_new017.jpg

And my Tru Oil arrived
normal_new015.jpg

Its too cold here right now to be messin with the finish so i will experiment with some stains
on scrap until i get the desired colour, not too dark not too light

Hi Tony

I live in Aussie as well and was wondering where you picked up the Tru Oil?

Thanks
Chris

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
That's coming along nice, but that Wild Turkey shirt was cool as hell.  Couldn't you have used a shirt with a bunch of holes in it that said something like, "Team Building Exercise '99?"

My nephew owns a pub how many you want lol. I used it actually for the quality of the cotton  :icon_thumright:
and i have more t-shirts than i know what to do with.

Time to start wiring the guitar and the 1st thing i wanted was a no load pot to go with the tonemaster pot so that if i wanted i could take one or all tone pots out of the circuit but there are no long shaft 500k no loads available so i put one together my self and its quite easy.

Take your tone pot and pull the 4 lugs apart holding the pot together

normal_Picture-007.jpg

It comes apart in 3 sections

normal_Picture-008.jpg

normal_Picture-009.jpg

Next scrape about 1/8" of carbon off the center piece where the lugs are

normal_Picture-018.jpg

And put it back together in the reverse that you dismantled it and you have a no load pot that in the 10position cuts out the tone pot

normal_Picture-013.jpg

Nice quik and easy mod

Next i will put the tuners on the headstock and clean up the frets.

Finished the neck 7 coats of tru oil
was going to drill the tuners but i have a bad cold and cant stop coughing
so heaven knowes what i would end up drilling. :eek:

Picture-036.jpg

Decided to install the tuners after all, Jackie D works wonders with a cold.

Picture-040.jpg

Picture-041.jpg

Picture-043.jpg

These slugs are quite heavy once added to the neck.

Cleaned the fingerboard of tape gunk with a bit of pure lemon oil and they came up great.
Frets feel and look good without any work so will see how they go once i am set up. I have ordered a bone nut blank
and will cut that as soon as its here. I still need to ream the bottom tuner so it will take a 062 string, there's not much in it.

Can now start on the body  :hello2:

Excellent job on that neck Tony.  I'm still debating with myself what to use on an ash body - danish or tru??  Had considered a wipe on poly as well but have seen some average looking finishes so have decided not to use it.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris

the neck came up a treat, even better in the flesh and i will tru oil the body soon,
if that turns out like the neck then tru oil will be my prefered finish for a while.

I think the trick is to take your time and let each coat absorb and dry properly.
I was doing light coats leaving the neck for up to a week between coats and or until i could hardly smell the tru oil.

The body at this stage i am thinking probably 20 coats.

cheers
Tony

That Tone Pot Mod is a good idea!
I assume that it will work the same way if you use it as a Vol. control?

MUYFUE said:
That Tone Pot Mod is a good idea!
I assume that it will work the same way if you use it as a Vol. control?

Hey mate i have never tried one that way but i would say it would take the pot out of the circuit no problems and just leave a clean path to the amp and you could use say a volume pedal to control it and also get some nice swells going.

TonyW said:
Hi Chris

the neck came up a treat, even better in the flesh and i will tru oil the body soon,
if that turns out like the neck then tru oil will be my prefered finish for a while.

I think the trick is to take your time and let each coat absorb and dry properly.
I was doing light coats leaving the neck for up to a week between coats and or until i could hardly smell the tru oil.

The body at this stage i am thinking probably 20 coats.

cheers
Tony

20 coats will take some time to finish then.  Have you tried a danish oil finish on a body?

Hi Chris havent tried Danish oil but i have bucket loads of tru oil to use up and 20 coats is only a guesstimate.
I will judge it on how the body takes it. I have a bit of prepping and sealing to do before hand but at the moment i have a nasty
cold/flu thingy so it aint an ideal time.

I have some Aussie made Timbermate water based wood filler in natural, recommended to me by a Luthier friend
and a bucket load of Birchwood Casey sealer and filler so i need to decide which way to go, maybe the Timbermate then
the BC sealer filler.

normal_sealerfill.jpg

Take it easy - there's a lot of flu about at the moment. 

You are obviously doing a walnut stain - what body wood have you got on this build?  My next build is a swamp ash Tele body with a maple/rosewood neck. The neck is already finished in a vintage tint satin poly, so my plan for the body was a amber (or similar) stain and an oil finish.

Looking forward to seeing progress pictures of your build.

Cheers
Chris

Chris i have walnut stain but i am not going to use it, its too dark, i am going with the natural look on this one
The body is swamp ash so needs some filler.

Which knobs?
Strat

strat-027.jpg

or Gibson

gibbo-031.jpg

and a mock up, the neck fits like a glove since i gave it a bit of a sanding

Picture-023.jpg

Back