Chambered Korina Paulocaster Jr

Something like this - though I notice that not only is there not a lot of fatbacks in the showcase - there's only THREE wenge necks in the showcase period. Is Wenge having availability / legal issues too?
warmoth-finalmock.jpg

That's sharp! Looks like something I'd build, except for those pickups.

It should. I believe that's your neck I started with (Tiger Eye). Perspective warp, scaled to fit a 24 3/4 showcase maple neck, cloned the dots out, etc...

I figured even a die hard gold hater could see this guitar needs it. If I eat the finish off I suppose I could make do with black, but chrome belongs on big cars from the 50's and Peterbuilts.

50's not 40's - during the war Chrome was a war material and scarce

swarfrat said:
It should. I believe that's your neck I started with (Tiger Eye). Perspective warp, scaled to fit a 24 3/4 showcase maple neck, cloned the dots out, etc...

If there were ever any questions in my mind before about whether or not to put dots on the next fretboard, they're gone now. Wish I'd have left them off that one.

Cagey said:
swarfrat said:

If there were ever any questions in my mind before about whether or not to put dots on the next fretboard, they're gone now. Wish I'd have left them off that one.

Indeed - I'm trying to decide if I should pony up for jet black, or just buy a bottle of the dye myself.  But I think this board will be not just ebony, but jet black ebony.

Competing with Patriot54 for the 'Guitar that Takes a Year' category, (moved to another state, job change, living with inlaws temporarily, house hunting... but thanks to budget including a pittance for fun money, there is a slow steady trickle now.)  Another detour likely to delay the project further, but my keyboard playing brother talked me into it, and I found a good deal on ebay. Saddles next month.  Found a pretty dang good deal on ebay ($135 when you add shipping) and it's now enroute. 

PK-0440-00labels(1).jpg

The other cool thing about the graphtech VS100 saddles is it will go well with the gold/black theme.
index.php

Not planning at the moment to include the piezo preamp, but since the guitar is top routed, I don't have to make that decision right now anyway.

Saddles ordered! Only the neck remains. Looking good, but we're in the middle of buying a house so.... you might be looking at Tat Strat before this one makes it to the finish line.

I have to say, I am not a fan of gold hardware ... at all ... but you are spot on about it being perfect for this guitar. It really suits the color of the wood and looks good with the black.

I can't believe I said that. :icon_biggrin:

Gold can be a fragile finish, especially for those whose perspiration attacks it. The plating is so thin it defies belief. In fact, I think gold is unique in that quality. It maintains cohesion even at only a few atoms thick. Makes me wonder why StewMac is charging nearly double for gold plated hardware these days. Nobody else is, so you know they're just gouging. Gold has certainly gotten expensive lately, but there's probably only a microgram or less of the stuff on any of the guitar hardware out there.

But, appearance-wise, it can be quite attractive.

that looks really great and natural!  the grain 'n gold work really well!  i bet it will age sweet like an old srv or a les paul

Ahr har .... so here it is ....  :doh:  found it at last ....
Very very nice indeed  :glasses9:

I have that new proto type 13pin jack I was talking about in the GK-3 thread, sitting in front of me now.
(Can't show pic's as yet here, still in final production)
But.....
:redflag: @swarfrat ...PLEASE send me a PM with your email  :redflag:  & I'll take some pic's tomorrow (it's nighty night time now) & show you this.
As it might ease your mind somewhat.  :icon_biggrin:  for installing of 13pin jack.
Or give you something to think about before doing anything to rash !!
(Not that your likely to do that, judging by this thread)  :laughing7:
Cheers  :eek:ccasion14:

:glasses9:
I can neither confirm nor deny something may be happening of major import on this project.  There may be some fallout, but I'm working, she's not, my splurges cost $300 and hers $3500 (and you can't resell a cruise for 50% 5 years later).

:headbang:
I can now confirm that the neck has been ordered. The combination of features may be unusual, but they're all stock options, so I'm hoping it'll be more like 4 weeks than 6 weeks. No finish should help.

24.75" Strat, Wenge/ebony fatback w/ no inlay, 1 11/16 nut width (putting a black Earvana shelf nut in), drilled for sperzels,  compound radius, Gold 6100 frets.

Now I realize the other big big advantage to the showcase. Instant gratification. Arrrrgh.  The worst of it is,  I still have stuff to do... cleaning epoxy out of the bridge inserts, soldering up my pickguard, figuring out how to mount the ghost VS100 saddle wires with a bridge humbucker (ok, Mean 90) so they don't destroy themselves. Mounting my 13 pin jack...

But I'm about to go crazy.
:help:

Back