First Pics in 'WIP' section:
Out of the box
index.php
index.php

Ready for Filling
index.php

Filling begins
index.php

Wow!  That already is startin to Pop! Can't wait to see it finished.  What did you use to fill it?

Front side. It's easier to clean epoxy off metal than it is to dig blue clay grain filler out of pores. DON"T USE CLAY!!!! Or if you do, use brown and write a thread about your new 'method'. DAMHIK
index.php

Got some brass screws at the LBBS (Local Big Box Store) and they only carry flat head in phillips #4 brass. I'm not exactly thrilled with the results. I think they really need to be oval headed, and brass is not gold. (After all these millenia of people trying, whod'a thunk?) But I appreciate the tip.  Anyone want a still got the protective cover on Warmoth  2HB strat PG w/ Vol/Tone1 holes punched? (3rd pot or switch could be done easily)

Forgive me if the aspect ratio is off - I tried perspective correction on my "avoid flash glare off reflective surface" shot. 

It's 3 ply - wasn't clear when I ordered it. I'm still deciding. I'm not crazy about the DeMediumme volume knob position either. (It's not quite the Delonge warmoth does, but it's certainly NOT the almost in your way favorite of pinky swellers everywhere.)

An Epoxicle!
index.php

2 coats of epoxy on the back, one everywhere else - didn't sand back to bare wood like I did on the back w/ the first coat. Scraping the dribbles was driving me absolutely batty until I figured out I was using the wrong kind of razor blades (was trying double edge which are flimsy and dangerous. yes I sometimes shave with a semi-old fashioned razor). I had some spots that I was really afraid would show, but I think I got em all. I took some skimming light shots trying to expose any surface issues before going on to the next step - but its looking good I think.

And surprise surprise surprise! I had a little treat waiting for me that I missed handling the raw wood body all this time: Flame!
index.php

index.php

index.php

I'm not sure if I need to 1) sand back some more, 2) do another epoxy coat, or 3) if I'm ready to go to urethane, 4) almost there but need to do some more leveling/sanding.

swarfrat said:
And surprise surprise surprise! I had a little treat waiting for me that I missed handling the raw wood body all this time: Flame!

Just goes to show you - you should wet any new piece of wood with naphtha to find out (approximately) what it'll really look like with a clearcoat.  What a lovely  surprise for you!  The whole job is looking really nice.  I'm enjoying the progress and your generous descriptions.

Bagman

2nd coat of epoxy curing. Will scrape and scrape and scrape and scrape and sand again tomorrow. Hoping to be able to go to urethane next - grain is not 100% filled, but I think the pores are all closed up. It's just a question now of getting the coats level.

swarfrat said:
2nd coat of epoxy curing. Will scrape and scrape and scrape and scrape and sand again tomorrow. Hoping to be able to go to urethane next - grain is not 100% filled, but I think the pores are all closed up. It's just a question now of getting the coats level.
That looks effin killer, I wonder if the z poxy is tough enough to leave as the finish? :dontknow:

I wondered about that. Epoxy is tough. In a way it's kinda like a realy really really hard rubber. But it isn't UV resistant. So I'm still planning to cover in Urethane.

Back