Burnishing Raw Necks

I've got an Ebony over Maple Carvin bolt-on neck here that's been kicking around for a long time that I may try that with this summer. Two things I wanna try, actually. I want to bury a decal in the finish on the headstock, then just burnish the neck proper and maybe rub a touch of oil on it. It'll be interesting to see how that works out. This being Michigan, it'll see all sorts of temp/humidity changes.

oooh.  I wanna see that when you're done  :icon_thumright:

You gotta throw up some pics when you start on it.

No pads. I used 3M Flexible Polishing Papers for most of it, although the 2000 grit was Eagle Abrasives P2000 "KOVAX" waterproof paper - no water.

3M_Flexible_Polishing_Papers_sm.jpg

The flexible polishing papers are more like cloth than paper.

I discovered that 400 is the finest my Home Depot carries. Sweet, another order from StewMac and their bargain shipping rates :)

I would check with the local automotive paint supply store before I looked at buying from StewMac. 

Johnfv said:
I discovered that 400 is the finest my Home Depot carries. Sweet, another order from StewMac and their bargain shipping rates :)

The Home Depots I go to sell 600. It's a waterproof variety that is rather expensive.
If you have an Ace or an OSH or some such hardware store, they usually sells sheets of grits as fine as 2000.

I spent 80 bucks on wetsand paper up to 2500 and recently had a field day with a few exotic necks.  I can't believe I'd never done this before.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
I spent 80 bucks on wetsand paper up to 2500 and recently had a field day with a few exotic necks. 
I can't believe I'd never done this before.

I was actually very surprised, that very few had tried or even thought about doing it.

When I 1st started up here, (before really knowing anything about RAW necks)
I use to see posts on .... Whats the best thing to put ON a RAW neck.

I use to  :icon_scratch:  at this.

Some were Lemon oil etc ...... I thought WHY ?

Just hit it with what has been posted here in this thread  :icon_thumright:

AHHHrrrrrr the smoothness  :icon_biggrin:

Lemon oil is just mineral oil with a lemon scent.  If your neck looks like it is drying out, you put a couple of drops on a paper towel and give it a rub down.  Formby's Lemon Oil is very easy to get, which is why most mention it.  I too am a convert on the sanding.  I had access on up to 1500, and it really makes them quite nice with a little elbow grease.  Always worried about dropping them now that they seem to be like greased lighting.
Patrick

Right underneath it, there is a "tutorial" on making your guitar neck 10X faster. If you do it twice, it ought to be 100X faster! I think you're supposed to buy his guitars...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI&feature=related
http://www.frudua.com/

(Actually there's some interesting tidbits and drawings on his site - dial up an old concert on sugarmegs.org and blitz out...)

very interesting-> http://www.frudua.com/sound_of_electric_guitar_wood.htm

StubHead said:
Right underneath it, there is a "tutorial" on making your guitar neck 10X faster. If you do it twice, it ought to be 100X faster! I think you're supposed to buy his guitars...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI&feature=related
http://www.frudua.com/

(Actually there's some interesting tidbits and drawings on his site - dial up an old concert on sugarmegs.org and blitz out...)

very interesting-> http://www.frudua.com/sound_of_electric_guitar_wood.htm
That's exactly what I do with my lacquered necks when they need it, and yes the Italian guy is right.

Ummm, we were waiting for somebody else to hand-sand all the pores out of swamp ash with 2500 grit paper, but the first guy went senile and the 2nd guy went into the retirement home before he got done. Keep us posted! :icon_thumright:

I’m kicking this thread because it’s one that I think should stay near the top. It should almost be required reading for any 1st time raw neck buyers. And for those of us that have been around for a while but haven’t caught on, we should read it every morning until it sinks in!

I remember when it 1st posted & I read it with interest. I have a rosewood neck on my tele that I absolutely love. I had sanded it to 600 grit when I 1st put it on, after that it has hand polished as I play to a smooth shimmer. I’ve been really happy with it. When I read this, I figured it was neat, but I was already in pretty good shape.

So this weekend I’m stuck in the middle of waiting for the hardware truck to bring my goodies. Usually that’s a real down time for me. I mean it doesn’t matter that I bought the body back in June, I‘ve got the neck now and I’ve made the decisions. I'm ready to go. I need my stuff! Yesterday!
This should not reflect badly on any of the companies I ordered from, all 3 had the orders shipped the day I said I do. Nor is it a complaint about the shippers, it’s just logistics, space and time and all that shoot.

So I was noodling around on a guitar when I remembered this thread. Then I thought that Canary would make a good candidate to try it out on. I dug out the sandpaper box and went to work with 320 to get the goo off. Then I went up the list, 400, 600, 800, by now it’s really smooth & can see a shine. Alright! This is great! So I went to 1000 and just grinned.
I am using auto body wet or dry. I use a 1/8th sheet piece that I back with ¼” open cell foam. It’s soft enough to wrap the neck but stiff enough to keep my fingers from coming through.

I like to time this sort of stuff because it gets boring quickly & I tend to think I’m done too soon. 15-20 minutes with each grit worked pretty well. I use a little water every 5 minutes or so to raise the grain & clean out the dust. I let the neck set for an hour or so in between grits to make sure I didn’t over wet the wood. Once I got to the point where water didn’t bring up any grain I just used dry paper and wipe with naphtha to clean the pores.

So I get to 1000 and am really happy.

Time to quit. I’ll go look up that thread and brag a little about my great neck. So I dug around for a while until I found it, but when I read it I realized that wasn’t even half way to what Tonar & Cagey were talking about. So Sunday I started over. 1200, 1500, 2000, 30 minutes each. WOW! What a difference a day makes. It was like going from very smooth to glass. Hard to describe, you need to try it to understand.

So this morning I kick this thread. I need to get some of those fancy smancy micro fiber thingies to get any more than I have, but even the difference from 800 grit to 2000 is enough to make a person say.
That’s incredible!
Many thanks to Cagey, Tonar and Updown
:rock-on:

I  take mine out to 2000 , and everyone loves them , they are glass smooth and fast. Been doing for 14 years

Back