Blue Flame Maple LP

Lucky #7

Aside from some wiring issues that I hoped to have worked out this week, it's done.

The neck is canary and ebony.  Body is Flame Maple on Mahogany.

It's got a SD Alnico II Pro in the neck and a SD SH-11 Custom Custom in the bridge.

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

With my other Warmoth LP:

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

My blue and your blue should be friends.  :icon_biggrin: 

Seriously, that's a nice looking guitar.  I love the color. 

It's cool because they're both blue finishes, yet they are completely different.  I like that Warmoth does both the blue burst and blue dye and they don't look the same at all. 

Nice... there's something about blue that is really nice on a guitar

My blue LP
IMG_7681.jpg

Not wanting to steal the thread, but yes, its a much modded BFG Lester.  The selector is in the correct place, where the kill switch was.  Where the selector was, is now a 3 way switch that does - normal parallel, series, and series partly out of phase.  The 3 way also "disconnects" the normal pickup selector in the series and series out of phase position since you need "both" pickups to work for those positions.  Knobs are volume closest to the bridge, middle (with Q filter), and treble.  Not seen, I also have a flame maple, and carved, truss rod cover done up to match the body!~

Did you refinish as well as modify the hardware?  It looks like it's shiny and the stock BFGs definitely aren't.

I removed almost all of the original black finish - which was a type of lacquer, with lacquer thinner and rags (many).  The result was a washed black effect.  The top was dyed blue almost to the edges to give it a bit of a contrast line at the edge.  The neck and back were dyed brown.  No grain filling was used at all.  I clear coated everything with many layers of Deft.  The neck got polished out on the back, but only where your hand would normally rub, not on the back, sides or face of the headstock.  The top got rubbed out so it retains the ripple from carving, overlaid with smooth glossy lacquer.  The sides got a bit of leveling - not completely though, and got rubbed out.  The back was left "as shot".  The overall effect is a gloss top, satin edges and matte back.  I didn't change the hardware, but did add a cover to the P90 - which took some doing since the route was quite undersize.  I had to thin the cover quite a bit, but could, because it was fairly thick plastic, and a Gibson cover at that.  The HB cover was one I had floating around here for a bit and was well worn before I put it on the Burstbucker 3 at the bridge.  Not seen - a whole lot of nut work, as Gibson left the nut in totally unfinished shape, it was barely a nut at all.  That took a bit of doing but came out pretty nice.  The pickguard was from a LP Deluxe (two mini hums) so it fit the P90 at the neck, and I had to mod the back of it slightly to fit the full size humbucker ring.

To me, the biggest surprise was finding a very high quality flame maple top on what was essentially a bottom end low low budget guitar.  I only paid $650 for it brand new - including the case!

did you steal my guitar?! I really had to doublecheck my rack to see if my guitar was still there :D the body really looks like mine! enjoy the guitar, she's a looker!

Thanks guys.

I think our two LPs were actually up in the showcase right around the same time Orpheo.  I think I actually got mine a few weeks before you picked that one up.  The agreement with the warden though was that I had to completely pay it back into our savings account before I could start working on it.  I finished up the last little bit at Christmas and got started.The only change I might make is I want to eventually replace the creme pickup rings with some flame maple rings.  I noticed the similarities too when I got mine done.  I swear I wasn't copying you. ;)

Lucky #007 said:
Thanks guys.

I think our two LPs were actually up in the showcase right around the same time Orpheo.  I think I actually got mine a few weeks before you picked that one up.  The agreement with the warden though was that I had to completely pay it back into our savings account before I could start working on it.  I finished up the last little bit at Christmas and got started.The only change I might make is I want to eventually replace the creme pickup rings with some flame maple rings.  I noticed the similarities too when I got mine done.  I swear I wasn't copying you. ;)
no, I know you wouldn't :) Just teasin. Mine has a zebrano/bloodwood neck, by the way, with ebony board and zebrano trapezoids. the pickups are now a duncan distortion/jazz set, but I'll swap it out for a parallel axis PA TB2 distortion/jb hybrid (but the jb coil will get alnico5 slugs) with alnico8 bar in the neck and a ceramic in the bridge. just to have even more tones and 'voices' at hand.

Swapping magnets is a bit above my head for now.  That sounds cool though.  I'm slowly easing my way into doing more and more.

I'm looking at replacing the Alnico II Pros in my Bengal Burst LP with Pearly Gates.  I need to swap the wiring in the Blue LP because I got turned around and wired the switch backwards and the knobs.  They all work, it's just that the up is the bridge and down is the neck on the switch.

Back