BlackHeart "Little Giant"

More tubes on order to try out.

Sovtek 12AX7 WC
JJ ECC83
JJ EL84

Best tubes in it sofar are the Sovtek 12AX7 WB and Ei EL84

Also going to try it out with a THD Hot Plate to get max output without going deaf.

I wouldn't imagine that there would be much difference in the sound between the Groove Tubes models.  Groove Tubes puts out good stuff, but...  After looking around, the prices for a matched set of JJ Tesla EL84's was the same as one Groove Tubes SS EL84-S.  Now I understand it is a bit overkill to get two power tubes for a one power tube amp, but it still feel like getting 50% more value.  I looked around for the EI tubes, and it seems that there is something going on with their factory.  Anyone know more about that?  Or is this a, "Grab them there tubes if ya see 'em," thing.
Patrick

Well if you get a matched set you can look at it this way, You will have a spare tube on hand and you don't lose any playing time.

I'm running 2 of the Blackheart heads so I got 2 matched sets of Ei EL84 so I have spares, plus they are getting hard to find.

Just for grins I brought home the sound level meter from work, unsure of it's accuracy over 100 dB, but the BH5H head dimed out into the BlackHeart 1x12 standard cab with stock Eminence speaker reads 107.4 dB dimed out in pentode mode

Thanks for the reference to this thread, Jack.  I learned a lot more about tube amps.  Might have to give those Sovteks a try in my 20w Marshall (JCM2000 DSL201), loaded with a Celestion.

Im using Tung Sol 12AX7's in V1 and a JJ EL84 in V2. I have a few old Ei EL84's from  a Marshall DSL 201, I have no idea if they have any life left in them, but may give them a try. Anybody try the Mullard reissues?

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4708.msg55593#msg55593

Finally got my Avatar cab today, so count me in as another BH user that's very happy with his purchase. The thing sounds really good. Better than my expectations and they were kind of high. I still have haven't been able to crank it, but I will get it out on my deck as soon as we dry out. Hanna is soaking us right now.

Back