Install Mojo Board in Blackheart little Giant without dieing?

chuck7

For a while now I've been thinking of installing this: http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/amp-kits-special-projects/Blackheart-Little-Giant-Amp-Upgrade-Kit-BH5-Turret-Board-Ki_2

In my Blackheart Little Giant combo.  Three things have kept me from doing it.  1. I'm a bit lazy.  2.  I don't want to ruin my amp.  3.  I don't want to die. 

I'm currently over issue 1, some experience building effects pedals and the fact that even if I ruin the new board I could probably just put the old one back have reduced my worry about issue 2.  Issue 3 is still there though :)

I think I understand the risks and concerns with working with the innards of amplifiers, but I see the warnings and caution statements so often they have me a little spooked.  I know big caps can kill (or at least mame) you, and I've read there is some concern on the transformers as well? 

For the caps, are the issues only with the existing ones, or would I need to be careful with the new ones (which I have yet to apply power to) as well?  For the old ones should I try to safely jump the leads to discharge them, and if so do I do that with them in the board or would I need to remove them from it first?  For the transformers, whats the concern?  Do they hold a charge as well?  Are there any other things on the board I need to be especially careful of?

I know the best response here is "dude, you don't know what your doing - take it to a pro".  I can accept that but I really would like to give it a go.  Is there a resource somewhere on line one of you guys may be aware of that I could read through to learn the basics?

Thanks,
Chuck

Seriously though I molded my valve jr and I was a bit nervous. Just be careful and you will be fine. The fact that you know what can happen makes you that much better off. This is more about the epiphone but you may find useful info from bitmo and from Brian Wampler. I can't remember I think it was indyguitarist.com. there's some safety info that is universal.

The caps are what you should be concerned about.  You can build the board and go over the layout with a fine tooth comb.  No biggie, it is like building a really big pedal.  However, rooting around on the inside of the amp is trouble if you do not take precautions.  You need to build a bleed resistor.  You need a multimeter to check everything.  Expect to spend quite a bit of time looking at it as well.  I looked at the kit, and it will be a bit of work for a first timer.  I would do it, but I would not do it until I was sure I had time, and lots of it, to work on it.  I might sound like I am going overboard with the time thing, but until you solve problems, they seem impossible.  There are several members on the boards here that know quite a bit about amps.  They help out a lot with questions around here.  Other boards, like the AX84 forum, have quite a number of people that are very knowledgeable about this sort of stuff as well.  

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy it & build it.  If I couldn't get it going, after asking around for help, I'd take it to a tech to get it back going.  But only as a last resort.  It looks fun.
Patrick

1. Laziness is a personal issue. If you can't work up the energy to do it, then don't.
2. It's unlikely you'll "ruin" the amp. It may not work when you get done, but all you have to do is throw money at that problem and it'll resolve.
3. You're not gonna die. As long as it's unplugged, then at worst you'll only get uncomfortably surprised. Don't get me wrong; getting zapped is definitely no fun at all. But, perhaps you make some embarrassing noises, invent some new cuss words, etc. Ain't no thang. Keep breathing and people will think you're badass.

Besides, who cares about dying? If you die, you've got nothing to worry about. Getting hurt is the bitch <grin>

Back