Black Korina chambered tele

tenpointnine

Hi all.

After some thought, I've settled on some details for my build, based on this body;
pt3647c.jpg

Model: Chambered Telecaster®
Orientation: Right handed
F-Holes: None
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Black Korina on Black Korina
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Humbucker (Wood Mount) (N), , Tele® (Bridge)
Controls: None
Bridge: Tele® Bridge
Jack Rout: 7/8" (22mm) Side Jack Hole
Neck Pocket: Tele® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Countours: Contoured Heel / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour
Top Finish: Clear Gloss
Back Finish: Clear Gloss

and this neck;
vmt4593a.jpg

Style: Telecaster®
Construction: Vintage Modern
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Wenge
Fingerboard Wood: Ebony
Nut Width: 1-3/4"
Back Shape: 59 roundback
Fret Size: 6105
Tuner Ream: Vintage Style (11/32")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: Earvana GraphTech White TUSQ
Inlays: Mother Of Pearl Dots
Side Dots: White Side Dots

In terms of pickups, I'm fitting Seymour's Little '59, at the bridge, and a Pearly Gates at the neck.
To keep the focus on the stunning timber, I won't be fitting a scratch plate, and the hardware will be black.

After reading the finishing tips here, I'm going to burnish the Wenge neck.

Other than a light fret dress and polish, that should be it :D

It's gonna be awesome. Maybe your control plate could be something unusual - I've always liked the idea of one in the "vintage copper" effect you see around sometimes. Schaller have a good range:

9___2010_11_2_27.jpg

Great choice of pickups. How are you gonna wire them - just the standard 3 way? I have a good scheme for a 5-way with two humbuckers like that if you're interested (needs a super switch).

Thanks for the advice guys. I had thought of maybe splitting the coils somehow. The super switch option may be the way to go.

If you do go the superswitch route, make sure you get one of the thin ones - the standard ones are about an inch wide and won't fit a tele rout - or certainly not without some tricky modification.

Having looked at the Fender-carded one I have here, I think it might just fit - if you flattened the solder tags on the outer wafer it just about makes 1/2" from the centre line. There's no good reason for it to be so wide and I've seen others that are thinner. Just something to be aware of.

You definitely would have problems with a super switch and an angled slot.

ToneShaper do "slim superswitches" but they're always out of stock. Another option is the Megaswitch M. It will fit anywhere a regular 5-way will fit - you just have to be aware of the slightly surprising switching scheme.

s008242_1__.jpg

It works like half of this: (this diagram is for the double wafer version)

AnimatedMegaswitch1.gif

Great body/neck combination.  I have a lil 59 in the bridge on one of my teles.  Love it!  One suggestion, get a push pull pot to put the lil 59 in parallel.  You get some really classic tele sounds.

A wee progress update.
I've settled on the Gotoh bridge in Cosmo black, with matching control plate and knobs. In direct light it looks more of a dark grey, and picks out some of the shades in the Korina top.
At the opposite end, I'm fitting Sperzel Trim Lok tuners because, well because I've never fitted them before and there has to be a first time for everything :)
The neck was delivered with vintage style tuner holes, so I've opened them up to 10mm and drilled holes for the Sperzel locating pins.

I'm waiting for a few items to be delivered. Primarily the polishing cloths to finish the neck off, and a Schaller 'P' type megaswitch.

And thanks to you guys, I've got enough ideas for another couple of guitars  :eek:ccasion14:

971266_10200885095263614_1410916303_n.jpg

Rear ferrules, bridge and pickups installed. Pots, switch and jack next.

I've also made a start to burnishing the neck, with just the 2000 grit to go. It's already stunning!  :blob7:

Back