Best guitarists at what they've done

Ronnie Montrose - Space Rock (Speed of Sound, Mutantis Mutandis,etc...) :headbang1:

Best guitarist to transform Miles Davis's music - John McLaughlin
Best inventor of fusion music  - John McLaughlin (with Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Best inventor of world music - John McLaughlin (with Shakti)
Best guitarist to compose a guitar concerto for chamber orchestra & steel-string acoustic- John McLaughlin
Best guitarist to sit down with Paco DeLucia and school him on how to play flamenco - John McLaughlin

umm, he don't do windows though.... :-\

Check out his ridiculously-disciplined left-hand fingering - not a finger flapping out of place, higher than 1/2" from the fretboard - ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FID9lAuOxEg&feature=related

Best guitarist to see live if you want your hearing destroyed - Jimmy Thackery

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Could Mark Knopler or James Burton find room on someone's list?  Self-taught, unconventional technique would be the only thing I could think of.

Mark definitely deserves a place--best guitarist not to use a pick.

I am sorry but you guys don't know NOTHIN' 'bout rhythm guitar if you ain't talkin' 'bout EDDIE LANG

I think the best guitarists are ones that give the instrument new life, as opposed to the ridiculously platitudinous norm of what a guy with a guitar is supposed to be like.

It's like on family guy where they mention something about what douchebags did to the guitar

people that FIGHT that are the best in my book.

some of MY personal favorites are

Steve Howe
Ivan "Boogaloo Joe" Jones
Melvin Sparks
George Benson
Eddie Hazel
Eddie Lang
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Joe Pass

they don't need labels and categories, the mark of a great guitarist is the ability to defy those notions.

NOT, "oh he can shred like nobodie's business"

let me tell you something, YOU COULD TOO, if you practiced on your WARMOTH enough!

but none of those speed freaks (it's okay, I sorta am one, too, lol) will ever be able to play it tasty like so many of those other guys

Oh, and Mark Knopfler DOES deserve a spot on this list- FOR TONE!

and WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I just watched tha John McLaughlin video!
He's just gone to the top of my current inspiration list in barely 5 minutes
THAT is the religious relationship with an instrument that I so long to develop!

Graffiti62 said:
I can't immediately contradict this but I'm sure it's not true.  :)

Best pop guitarist - John Mayer
Most pointless guitarist - George Lynch
Best stage getup - Space Ace Frehley
Worst stage getup - Buckethead
Most adorable guitarist - Wata
Least adorable guitarist - Nugent
Walrusiest guitarist - David Crosby
Silliest rig - Tony Iommi
Silliest guitar - (tie) Prince (symbol guitar) and Billy Gibbons (fuzzy explorer)

Fiftiesest guitarist - Chuck Berry
Sixtiesest guitarist - Hendrix
Seventiesest guitarist - Jimmy Page
Eightiesest guitarist - EVH
Ninetiesest guitarist - Stone Gossard
00'siest guitarist - Jack White

Maltozombie said:
Best alternative guitarist who stayed original- Billy Corgan

hell no, id agree with you if the pumpkins had stayed broken up but soem of teh pumpkins recent stuff is just so crap and bland and unoriginal

Graffiti62 said:
Could Mark Knopler or James Burton find room on someone's list?  Self-taught, unconventional technique would be the only thing I could think of.

Jeff Beck does'nt use a pick?!

btw with regards fusion guitar, this should be checked out :

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Ganesha-Land/dp/B000FFS1QU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1225296453&sr=8-1

while john mclaughlin never knew or played traditional carnatic music (while his co-musicians in shakti, l.shankar or u.srinivas were traditionally trained), prasanna is a seasoned carnatic guitarist. the album above is a carnatic guitarist's tribute to jimi hendrix!

I think Ted Nugent should get a "Worst Tone" award.

And to the Billy Corgan/James Iha - Smashing Pumps conversation, if I'm not mistaken, Corgan played the most of the lead, rhythm, and bass guitars on the albums.  The lead in "Cherub Rock" is all Corgan.  Plus, regardless of anybody's recording, most people are always better players than their recordings.

I vote for Joe Satriani and Chet Atkins for being the most accurate and precise players ever!  IMHO :guitaristgif:

best jazz guitarist: stanley jordan
best prog guitarist: omar rodriguez lopez (mostly for developing a new sound and for his contribution to the band as a producer)

hands down

anybody who hasn't heard of him and likes jazz, please go to youtube and watch him play tracks like willow weap for me, autumn leaves, and eleanor rigby

And to the Billy Corgan/James Iha - Smashing Pumps conversation, if I'm not mistaken, Corgan played the most of the lead, rhythm, and bass guitars on the albums.  The lead in "Cherub Rock" is all Corgan.  Plus, regardless of anybody's recording, most people are always better players than their recordings.

Corgan was the lead songwriting force for sure, he wrote most of the parts for all the instruments besides the drums, but a lot of the lead guitar fills,
Especially live, were almost exclusively Iha, especially after Siamese dream, Corgan became more of a songriwter per se, than a guitar player.

as for the studio, it was likely corgan doing pretty much everything, control freak, read the Mellon Collie tab book and it tells you pretty much everything, it has all his articles from his guitar world series,

and about the new stuff....yeah it's Corgan, jimmy chamberlain, and random studio musicians...it's not the pumpkins, imo i never saw them as reunited, but agree with the disappointment over the newer stuff.

Back