Back contour, nut and other....

Bruno

Abstract: I hope not to be misunderstood (not quibble, please ).

1)
I already have a Warmoth neck, 1-5/8 nut, back contour std thin.
It seems to me as a very slim neck.
I compared with my Suhr custom classic (my favorite):
I fret:  suhr 0.810 "  warmoth std thin: 0.800"
XII fret: 0.930 ", warmoth std thin: 0.850"
But the most curious thing is that my warmoth neck is thinner than even my jem 7bsb! (.800 "-. 870")
So... the nut (1-5/8") may be responsible of this feeling?
With a classic 1-11/16" improve things?
Or should I go to other back contour like '59, clapton, srv, wolfgang?

2)
Construction: warmoth pro vs vintage modern
What more stable in your experience?

Thanks

Looking at your numbers and Warmoth's (http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx) it looks like the Wolfgang profile may be closest to your Suhr.
I'm not sure how important it is (as I've only got the '59 roundbakc) but srv & wolfgang are asymmetric.

I have no experience on nut widths. I'm sure someone else will chime in though.

Warmoth pro will be a bit heavier, but more stable as the double expanding trussrod will have more mass to it VS the vintage modern's trussrod.
(more details at http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/TrussRodsPop.aspx)

I don't know why someone would buy a Warmoth standard thin neck,(knowing it's dimensions or could ask Warmoth to measure for them prior to buying) when they feel that a Suhr neck that is thicker is their favourite? Why buy it in the first place if a thicker neck is what you feel more comfortable with?  :dontknow:

As for nut widths & neck profile contours, that is a very personal thing Bruno......It's like whether you like to wear boxers or briefs.

Personally, I felt that a 1 5/8" nut width was good up until a few years ago when I got  a bit older, the fingers got a bit stiffer and their movement was not as fluent as 20 years ago. Now I prefer the 1 11/16" width. It's a very small change, but I do feel it just a bit wider helps me. I  like the standard thin profile as it is, and not too keen to try another profile. It feels good playing, I can't scientifically quantify that: It. Just. Feels. Good.   :guitaristgif:

Aussie Pete said:
I don't know why someone would buy a Warmoth standard thin neck,(knowing it's dimensions or could ask Warmoth to measure for them prior to buying) when they feel that a Suhr neck that is thicker is their favourite? Why buy it in the first place if a thicker neck is what you feel more comfortable with?  :dontknow:

You don't known...
Ok, I try again: I trusted the description *back contours Similar: Fender®  American Standard Stratocaster*.
In my experience, with my American Series Start (2001) is not true. Back contour is very similar to Suhr.
I will say more. Yesterday, changing strings I measured BC of my jem7bsb: 0,800 "1st fret; 0,870" 12th fret.
So ibanez wizard is also thicker than Warmoth Standard Thin.
Obviously, if I had done before these tests, I had no doubt about what no to buy.
I just read the descriptions (for us Europeans - ops, for me - is more immediate read metric that inches...).
And I was wrong. No discussion.
But now, I don't want wrong again.

Aussie Pete said:
As for nut widths & neck profile contours, that is a very personal thing Bruno......It's like whether you like to wear boxers or briefs.

Of course.
As before, (again...) I thought a change of nuts was not dramatic.
Perhaps my sensitivity, this also counts

Thank you both for your answers.
I am currently evaluating the Clapton and '59 BC.
I am afraid of asymmetric back, I would not make the same mistake twice...

Right next to where you saw the 'similar to: Fender American Standard Strat or Tele' comment on their website is the dimensions of the Warmoth neck profiles, as you describe : .800" at the first fret and .850" at the 12th fret.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

You did not run a measurement or two over your favourite necks to compare, before buying? The measurements are there in black and white for you to check against. Mathematics is universal Bruno. No matter which language you speak, the measurements and their formulae are still the same. It clearly states inches, as per the " indicator on the measurements. OK you made a mistake. Your mistake was not made clear in your first post, and it looked like you were somehow blaming Warmoth for the thinner profile.

BTW, does the Warmoth neck have a compound radius fretboard? Do the other necks you compared it to, have compound radius fretboards? It might be that Warmoth, if it is a compound radius neck, can achieve a slimmer back contour..

You are unnecessarily argumentative.
I wrote early that Warmoth has no faults, what do you want? I don't think will offer you anything for this not necessary defense...
You get to play nice with me that do not speak English well? Congratulations, I're great!!!!
For me, with you, stop here. I don't care to continue talking to those who use this tone with me.
Bye bye sIR...

Bruno, it wasn't until your 2nd post in this Thread that you said you had made a mistake. Until then you had only said Warmoth's neck is slimmer, and then compared that neck to others you have.

Do you not see that I covered this in my previous post where I said "OK you made a mistake."?  Then I said that originally your first post looked like it was trying to make a statement about Warmoth's measurements.

Here's my quote and I have highlighted where I have said that:

Aussie Pete said:
Right next to where you saw the 'similar to: Fender American Standard Strat or Tele' comment on their website is the dimensions of the Warmoth neck profiles, as you describe : .800" at the first fret and .850" at the 12th fret.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

You did not run a measurement or two over your favourite necks to compare, before buying? The measurements are there in black and white for you to check against. Mathematics is universal Bruno. No matter which language you speak, the measurements and their formulae are still the same. It clearly states inches, as per the " indicator on the measurements. OK you made a mistake. Your mistake was not made clear in your first post, and it looked like you were somehow blaming Warmoth for the thinner profile.

BTW, does the Warmoth neck have a compound radius fretboard? Do the other necks you compared it to, have compound radius fretboards? It might be that Warmoth, if it is a compound radius neck, can achieve a slimmer back contour..

Your mistake was not one of language but one of measurement. I did not make fun of you, but I will not sit back and let the implication stay that Warmoth had somehow done something wrong. Why else would you point out that even a JEM was thinner, if not to try and reinforce a view that Warmoth's Standard Thin profile was somehow too thin? Your admission of a mistake by you only appeared after the initial statement had been sitting up on this forum for a good two days or so & two posters starting answering your enquiries.

Obviously you take offense to me pointing out that on this occasion, no one is to blame for this mistake, but you.

Alright, this hasn't exactly gone anywhere...

Based on the measurements of the Suhr it looks like one of their '60's C Vintage Standards. To reiterate Autobat, the closest seems to be the wolfgang profile. Having not played an asymmetric neck, will someone who has chime in here? How does an asymmetric contour compare with a similar symmetrical one?

Based on the the picture on Warmoth's site, it would have a little bit more wood on the treble side. Don't know if that would be a bad thing for you.

Back