Average weight of Warmoth bass necks?

jonathanmv312

Hi all.  I have a Warmoth pbass body that weighs 6 lbs with all hardware and electronics included.  I'm about to order a neck and would like to keep the total weight of the bass below 8 1/2 lbs if possible.  Was just wondering what an average 34" neck weighs.  I've read that roasted maple is probably the lightest wood to choose, but I'd like to get a padouk neck with ebony fretboard, but really have no idea what necks normally weigh.  Do padouk bass necks go over 2 1/2 lbs?

Tough call. I almost always weigh everything that shows up here, just out of curiosity, but 95% of what I deal with are guitar necks. I can tell you that they rarely weigh over 1.5lbs, although I had an Ebony over Bloodwood neck clock in at 2.0lbs, and a Brazilian Ebony neck tip the scale at 2.2lbs once. Padouk is a pretty dense wood, but it's ~47lbs/cu.ft vs. ~60lbs/cu.ft for Ebony. The added weight in a bass neck is going to be along the shaft, which is the thinnest part, for whatever that's worth.

For my money, an Ebony over Roasted Maple neck is wonderful thing. Burnish that baby up, and it'll play/feel so slick you'll risk dropping it grabbing it off the stand/hanger. It's reportedly of a very similar tonal quality to Padouk, so no compromise there. Plus, I didn't price it up but it'll probably cost a bit less.

Back