Are these OK?

ok thanks to all for your replies, it was just a question, wasn't trying to be picky or offend anybody. i am going to build a cool guitar with it for sure and then we will be having conversation about it  :icon_thumright:

To be honest I wouldnt be happy about it either....To me, thats a flawed job and id want a discounted price.

If you give it back you'll always wonder what that chipped body would have sounded like and be pissed that fate tested you and you failed.  :laughing8: Look at the chips as confirmation that YES this body was made for you to question and if you hang onto it, I promise you the guitar will be that much more significant to you.

Justinginn said:
If you give it back you'll always wonder what that chipped body would have sounded like and be pissed that fate tested you and you failed.

I would never wonder or have hesitation, or feel it was me failing a test.

Justinginn said:
  :laughing8: Look at the chips as confirmation that YES this body was made for you to question and if you hang onto it, I promise you the guitar will be that much more significant to you.

I'd assemble it, cover it with a pickguard, and never think about it again, but for me that's not the point.  I didn't order it with a note that said, "buff through the finish on the pickup cavity edges."  Back it goes. 

They offer black dyed pickup cavities on showcase bodies that are routed after finishing, so obviously they care what things look like that are covered with pickguards or pickups. 

deepblue said:
To be honest I wouldnt be happy about it either....To me, thats a flawed job and id want a discounted price.

As already indicated, buff throughs in hidden areas would not be considered a defect.  They're not that uncommon in the industry, even among the most expensive instruments.

Wyliee said:
deepblue said:

As already indicated, buff throughs in hidden areas would not be considered a defect.  They're not that uncommon in the industry, even among the most expensive instruments.

Can imagine a heap of people now taking pick guards and pickup rings off some expensive guitars to see what they have 'under the hood'.. :laughing7:

Every Stratocaster I have ever owned ( 15 +/- ) has been flawless in that regard. I have never
seen anything like the body in question.
I guess im batting 1000.

There is no way that I would accept that body. I would excerise my right to return policy.

Yeah, I busted open a couple of my Fenders after reading these newer posts, and they don't have anything like that either.  I find it hard to believe that this is considered "industry standard."

-Mark

You guys really want to go down this route of criticizing and returning stuff that is functionally and visually in perfect shape? Somebody explain to me how this matters - in the real world - one iota and I'll be a bit more sympathetic. This kind of crap is a big turn off to my gearheadism (yes it's a word because I just wrote it) and general love of this forum.

It doesn't matter one iota in the real world.  We're not in the real world.  We're grown men and women with jobs talking poly vs. nitro and why this brand of pickups, tuners, or strings is better than that brand.  This is just one thread in several thousand, and regardless of if it turns you off or not, I got something out of it.  Here it is.  If I order a finished body from them that's going to use a pickguard, there's a chance the finish may have been buffed off on the corners.  Now I'm aware of it and have an opinion.  IMO, that's a big turn off for me.

I have to agree with tfarny.  Complaining about this stuff is lame.  It's never going to be seen.  You might as well be complaining about the Warmoth turtle logo stamp on the inside of the neck pocket being smudged.  If you have OCD, I guess it's a bummer, but what problem does it really cause with your guitar if you can't see it and it doesn't mess up the playablitiy or tone?  None.  The only reason I can think of someone actually raising a fuss about this is if they think they can take advantage of the situation and get a discount for nothing.  

Now, if the finish had a big crack or a bubble, that would be a different story because that could potentially get bigger, and that wouldn't be good.  But buff through isn't going to cause that to happen.  

i have to agree with hannaugh and tfarny. this stuff couldn't matter much less. i've thought about doing another telecaster deluxe with a dyed top and using a clear pickguard. if i did i guess i could add a note when i placed my order saying "please be very careful buffing the top, i'm using a clear pickguard." (and my horribly messy wiring will keep me from going that route with my next build).

but other than that, i can't see how this could matter. obviously everybody wants the best when they pay top dollar, but even a highly tuned lamborghini will have a ding somewhere under the hood. doesn't mean it can't be a top of the line machine. i see these guitars the same way. my tele has a much larger amount of paint missing from it's pickup routes (i should have taken a picture yesterday when i pulled the pickguard off for some maintenance). but not once did i think "man, i should really send this back." nobody's going to see it, including me until i replace the pickups or redo my awful wiring.

Let me get this straight you mean some of you guys would rather have a thicker coating of paint and poly so it dosnt have buff thru, rather than having a sonically superior instrument that has the thinnest paint job available thus rendering the best tone possible from your guitar????    really????  

The pickguard is going to cover the route completely, and if you shield it you will be overlaping the guitar on those edges with copper foil coated in glue that will completely conceal the wood for the life of the instrument.....hmmmm.............maybe they should paint the neck pockets as well....or slather all the bodies with 1/8th inch thick poly coatings like they do on cheap agathis body guitars like squire and first act.....

Warmoth is a "Custom" shop for Real guitars made for people that want Great Sounding instruments of the highest Caliber.....you can always buy a Squire if you want a thick plastic coated guitar for a mere $300 bucks......maybe this is the wrong venue for some.

Obviously these are my thoughts and Im sure Warmoth and others may disapprove of my harsh sounding attitude....but in a day and age where saying how it is offends some and we adjust our life to fit those standards Im hoping the finishes remain coming out thin as possible.....I can practically see the wood grain on my Gloss Black Alder body......and Im so darn happy with that, I now consider Nitro just another option.... instead of a mandatory for great tone.

301546225_bef58c2d4d.jpg

It could have been worse. I'd stopped complaining about this and made the best out of it... If you don't want it - I'd buy it from you and make a smokin' hot guitar of it. does $250 sound like a fair price to you?

:redflag:

Superbeast520 said:
Let me get this straight you mean some of you guys would rather have a thicker coating of paint and poly so it dosnt have buff thru, rather than having a sonically superior instrument that has the thinnest paint job available thus rendering the best tone possible from your guitar????    really???? 

The pickguard is going to cover the route completely, and if you shield it you will be overlaping the guitar on those edges with copper foil coated in glue that will completely conceal the wood for the life of the instrument.....hmmmm.............maybe they should paint the neck pockets as well....or slather all the bodies with 1/8th inch thick poly coatings like they do on cheap agathis body guitars like squire and first act.....

Warmoth is a "Custom" shop for Real guitars made for people that want Great Sounding instruments of the highest Caliber.....you can always buy a Squire if you want a thick plastic coated guitar for a mere $300 bucks......maybe this is the wrong venue for some.

Obviously these are my thoughts and Im sure Warmoth and others may disapprove of my harsh sounding attitude....but in a day and age where saying how it is offends some and we adjust our life to fit those standards Im hoping the finishes remain coming out thin as possible.....I can practically see the wood grain on my Gloss Black Alder body......and Im so darn happy with that, I now consider Nitro just another option.... instead of a mandatory for great tone.
Don't equate buff throughs with wanting a thick poly finish and painted neck pockets.  I just want a finish where it's supposed to be.  Just my opinion, apparently paying for a finish means something different to me.  Let's just agree to disagree.

What's amazing is how some of you think it's ok to jam your aesthetic fan-boi opinions down everyone's throats.  I don't tell you what pickups to use, and you can go play in traffic if you want to tell me that poor QC is something that I should accept from a premium-rate product.  Why would it not be ok for me to not like my finish to be buffed through?  I pay enough to have those expectations, and I don't need to pay a dime to have my opinions... strangely enough.  :toothy10:  I've never had any of my Warmoth bodies exhibit this issue, so I'll happily continue to order them.  I'll also happily state that my experience with guitar bodies does not jive with what some W employees have stated here. 

I would accept these finish flaws in a showcase piece, by the way, just not in something I custom ordered.  I expect premium quality for premium prices, and that's all Warmoth has ever given me.

-Mark

Back