Are these OK?

DoubleG

hi all,

the body ive ordered has arrived, but the paint job around the pickup and jack cavities has some defect, are those normal, and acceptable?

thanks in advance...

To me, that would be perfectly acceptable as they are covered with the pickguard.

But you're the customer.  It's up to do you determine what's acceptable and what's not.

yeah they are not such a big problem for me either since they will be under the pick guard, but i am asking it quality control wise: is it ok for warmoth to send bodies with such defects? what do you say?

It will be hidden, but that's not the point.  I'd be a little perturbed that this even left.  However, I think a phone call to them before posting on a forum should've happened first, IMO.

DoubleG said:
yeah they are not such a big problem for me either since they will be under the pick guard, but i am asking it quality control wise: is it ok for warmoth to send bodies with such defects? what do you say?

It is quite common in the industry to have buff through under the pickguard.  It is not visible with a pickguard and has no impact on performance or playability. 

Well, if it went out the door like that, and there's nothing but raw wood exposed (read: no protective coat), I' might personally send it back.  I sweat a lot when I play for extended periods, and I don't want even the potential of moisture and rot on a body that I paid as much for as Warmoth charges.  On the other hand, I'd likely just seal it with something and call that some pewpy QC.

-Mark

my body had a few little paint chips inside, under where the pickguard would be. i think it's more because the body comes to a sharp edge there, instead of rounded off like on any other point on the body. so the paint chips very easily. to me, as long as i can't see it i'm ok with it!

It sounds to me like you better call warmoth and ask them if you could return the body and send you a new one. Or you could just sell it to me :D

Given the locations I can't see this ever being a deal breaker for me, it may as well be a rough control cavity or something. I'd just go with it. And if you got it during the sale, I'd go with it while laughing about it.

If you send it back, W's just going to take a few $ off and someone else is going to build a perfectly cool guitar with it.

Not a deal breaker for me either, but disappointing to open and see a new finish missing the finish in places other than intended naked pickup cavities and control routes on modified Showcase pieces.

*I* would call it a slight defect, a non-issue, and be glad the first scratch, bump, bruise (whatever) is outta the way and hidden  :laughing7:

Wyliee said:
DoubleG said:

It is quite common in the industry to have buff through under the pickguard.  It is not visible with a pickguard and has no impact on performance or playability. 

To expound a bit - the wheel used for buffing will get tend to give issues at the edges of routes.  The neck route needs great care when machine buffing.... Its not a bad thing, totally unseen when assembled.  You're gonna get some chipping around screw holes too - and they'll also be covered.

I'm a little surprised anyone is disappointed in the first place. I'd call it a great lookin' guitar that is going to sound nice too. Y'all are WAY too picky.

Maybe a little, but if it's avoidable and there's going to be thread dedicated to it questioning it, maybe do a little touch up.  You wanna bet someone had a conversation with the person doing the buffing?

Those are from the buffer wheel and good percentage of the finished bodies leave Warmoth exactly like that. We do not consider it a blemish at all for the reasons previously stated. When you are shooting thin finishes as the customer demographic demands, there are some trade offs like buff-throughs. If they are in unimportant areas, it is still first run product.

That said, if a anyone is unsatisfied with their Warmoth purchase, give Rob a call at Warmoth.  :icon_thumright:

Back