Tru Oil finish

HARDWARE
Floyd Rose trem
Gotoh tuners mini tuners 6 inline right handed
1 EMG 85
2 EMG S
1 EMG EXG EQ control
EVH E-Tuna

That looks nice, but why on earth would you want to put any sort of finish on Pau Ferro?  :icon_scratch:

line6man said:
That looks nice, but why on earth would you want to put any sort of finish on Pau Ferro?  :icon_scratch:

A lil' tru oil makes it a bit faster feeling & more resistant to sweat drag. It also brings out the grain more so it looks more 3D.

SustainerPlayer said:
Nice. I get a lot of a Reb Beach-vibe here  :kewlpics: :headbang1:

Yupe!!! It's my version of a Suhr Reb Beach Model, but with nicer wood & waaaay less expensive.

Wow! Gorgeous! I'm not usually into gold hardware, but it works very nicely on this one.

Aloha and Ho'omaika'i 'ana  beautiful work .  I love Koa .

Hana Hou - the more the merrier

Enjoy !

Doughboy, can you tell us more about that neck heel process? I'm looking at a Tele build soon and want to keep the heel as clean as possible [i.e. without an ugly neck plate] so am interested in your approach for your build...

Actually, upon further review, it appears that I was incorrect in my linkage.  However, threaded neck inserts are something you might definitely want to invest in with an AANJ anyway.

Thanks dudesweet157, I'll have a read up on it. I'm thinking along lines of ordering body and neck without mounting holes until I finalize my approach, then drill them myself to fit a contoured heel with countersunk stainless steel bolts and neck inserts.

The neck will be a Warmoth Pro - I'm well aware of the need to avoid putting a bolt hole into alignment with the truss rod adjuster!

I'm thinking, like doughboy's builds indicate, that off-setting a couple of the bolt holes slightly [rather than a standard parallel neck plate config] will be better to avoid the side adjuster, and also allow for the countersink washer to clear the edge of the heel properly.

There will be many, many measurements made and calculated / mocked up before drilling commences on the real deal!

First I have to see if Warmoth will build me what I want with the woods I like...

Love it. Been thinking of building a koa strat myself, super motivated now. Mahalo!

frown said:
Doughboy, can you tell us more about that neck heel process? I'm looking at a Tele build soon and want to keep the heel as clean as possible [i.e. without an ugly neck plate] so am interested in your approach for your build...

I order the body & neck with no holes drilled. Then I line up the neck & body & draw in holes so the screws go in without hitting the truss rod.

I then hand shave the body joint until it looks & feels like an Ibanez All Access joint. They feel like a neck through body but allow more room for replacement adjustment etc.

Once the body has been contoured & sanded, the holes are drilled & then the body is dyed & finished with a thin coat of nitro.

It's really hard for me to play a bolt on that doesn't have a contoured heel now as it feels like a giant wall hits you once you get into the upper registers.

Suhr & Ernie Ball do this now & I think all companies should consider it. The tone does not lack in any way & playability increases dramatically.

Back