A third guitar

I have a LP clone (Hagström Swede)
I need something hollow/semi hollow/335-ish
I need a guitar with a whammy bridge.

Str*ts are utterly useless guitars to me in general. How they've become popular is beyond me.

I just can't stand Tremolo's. and they're like THE MOST common guitar shape on earth.

its like Ice Cream.

Why get Vanilla with Nuts when you like Mint Chocolate Chip With Fudge?

sure you could eat both. but... you'd like to eat the latter more.

kboman said:
Str*ts are utterly useless guitars to me in general. How they've become popular is beyond me.

<gasp!> You blaspheme!

But, to be fair, they're the most popular and widely accepted guitars on the planet, so I can understand wanting something a little different.

1.)  Some incarnation of a Tele.  A Tele bridge pickup and any other neck pickup than the standard Tele neck pickup.
2.)  A variation of a HxH Mahogany bodied guitar.  LP style but doesn't have to be an LP
3.)  An SSS Strat.

....and for Basses, which you didn't ask.
1.)  J-Bass (the perfect bass ever made, IMO)
2.)  Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray
3.)  Rickenbacker 4003
all with four strings of course

I'll need my SSS Strat
                  HxH WGD
and hopefully the Jazzmaster I'm currently working on.

Of course if it's a desert island I'll need an acoustic.

bagman67 said:
Three guitars I would have if I could have no others?

- A strat (so your soloist-with-three-pickups idea works here)
- A tele (probably with a p90 or mini HB in the neck position)
- A semi-hollow ES335-type guitar (ruled out if you're in build-your-own-from-parts territory)

Same for me. This excludes acoustics of course. Two plus an acoustic, I'd go strat and tele and give the tele either a neck P90 option or a series switching option with traditional tele pickups. Oops, I have both of those already!

For me it would be:

-Strat/tele (Singel coils)
-LP          (HxH)
-L5S        (P90xP90)

I've got six guitars:
- a S-S-S "Strat" (the surf green partscaster that has become my #1 gitter)
- a W LPS with SD Phat Cat P-90s
- a pointy-headstocked Jackson Dinky (metuhl!)
- a funky old Telestar with two weird-looking single coils (impulse ebay buy that's actually a lot of fun)
- a Godin archtop
- a Norman acoustic

I'm currently jonesing for a Tele, a Gretsch hollowbody (in Cadillac Green, just in case anyone was planning on buying me a Christmas present) and a Jazzmaster.

But I'd say that if you're going to have three guitars, you can't go wrong with a Strat, a Tele and an LP-style, twin-'bucker guitar. And maybe a hollowbody or two.  :laughing7: 

If I could only have 3 guitars? I'd kill myself.
MULLY

Seriously though, for myself, Strats rule. I'd have to think of something using a Strat

mullyman said:
If I could only have 3 guitars? I'd kill myself.
MULLY

Seriously though, for myself, Strats rule. I'd have to think of something using a Strat

yeah same here :)
what was the original question again???

anyway, I was never one to go with the flow and always tried to avoid sheep behavior..
When it comes to guitar shapes, I have to make an exception... I was always in love with the shape of the strat.. and nothing is more comfortable to play!
I think I am making up for it by using unusual woods/configurations etc... I would never buy a brand new strat of the rack!!

Has anyone here had any experience with the Fernandes Sustainer?  I am thinking along the lines of a HSS strat with the 401 (the single coil sustainer).  That would definitely give me something different.

Why don't you get a top routed strat and get it routed for HSH or universal, that way you can put together two scratch plates / electronics packages: 1 with 3 standard single coils and the other with 2 HBs.  That way you can swap them out when you get bored...  cheaper than buying 2 guitars.

kboman said:

wow, considering that for close to 60 years it has been the most popular guitar in the world and outsold any other model, that is a statement.

I really do not know of many players who will say such, most admit it is like the Ford Model T of Axes, It is easy to play, feels great in the hands and is very versatile  and easily modified. But I have never had a player tell me they were uselesss, maybe not his style, but not useless.

I think if it was you could only have 1 guitar, it would be overwellmingly answered a Start.

elgravos said:
Why don't you get a top routed strat and get it routed for HSH or universal, that way you can put together two scratch plates / electronics packages: 1 with 3 standard single coils and the other with 2 HBs.  That way you can swap them out when you get bored...  cheaper than buying 2 guitars.

I had actually thought about that, but I don't think I would want to deal with two wiring setups.  I think an HSH would sound really close to my PRS which is why I am thinking either and HSS or SSS.  Possibly with the sustainer.

Back