A third guitar

Mully would have me believe that the guitar made the player great.  Don't think so.  He would've been great on anything.  Also, EVH has played an LP.  The thing he's playing now (and every incarnation of in the last 20 years) is more LP than Strat.  Besides, Muddy Waters invented the power trio with a Tele.

'Strue. A good player can make anything work. 'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools. By the same token, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I really have no opinion on this subject. If I were given one or the other I'd make adjustments.

All I ask is that it would be HSH with coil taps and I'm good  :toothy10:

Kyler (JamesL) said:
I really have no opinion on this subject. If I were given one or the other I'd make adjustments.

All I ask is that it would be HSH with coil taps and I'm good  :toothy10:
+1
That's all you need!

my first guitar was a strat( fernandez strat). Ive tried teles, les pauls, jaguars, everything else, and I just dont like them. I only like strats. it sucks

back2thefutre said:
my first guitar was a strat( fernandez strat). Ive tried teles, les pauls, jaguars, everything else, and I just dont like them. I only like strats. it sucks

Why does that suck? It's a very comfortable and versatile guitar. Famous users aside, that's why the design has been so popular and withstood the test of time. Its nearest competitor, the Les Paul, was innovative, but would never have enjoyed the success it did without the help of marketing weenies. Its unique sonic qualities would have insured its place in history, but that's about it. Nobody would ever confuse that design with anything comfortable or versatile. Not that you can't get used to it and work past its deficiencies (try telling Al DiMeola a Les Paul is a pain in the ass), but you shouldn't have to work that hard.

Eh, it's just material objects in the end guys, they're not important. Had I ragged on anyones wife or kids I would have been way out of line. We all have different opinions and I made it clear that I was not trying to state any facts, only my experience with different guitars. Feels weird to have to point this out.

And I resoundingly agree that the player is way more important than the guitar model, although some players are better suited for certain guitars for whatever reason.

---

Back on topic, I have to change my answer to the question of this thread:

1. A Les Paul-ish guitar with a vibrato bridge
2. A hollow/semi hollow guitar with a vibrato bridge
3. A really good acoustic guitar with a built-in preamp, vibrato bridge optional

Cagey said:
'Strue. A good player can make anything work. 'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools. By the same token, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Along with what STDC said. :laughing7:  Someone is playing a kiddie guitar and it sounds good.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncgqt6fI6iQ[/youtube]

That's fricken hillarious. :laughing8:  I seen some similar things done on Youtube with a Hannah Montana guitar too.

If I'm on a desert island without my Hello Kitty strat, something is definitely wrong!  :laughing7:

Seriously,
1. HSH Strat or Soloist
2. LP or VIP-type with active EMGs
3. 335-esque something for jazz

1 and 3 are essential, but I just can't seem to get myself to like the options that I've seen for #2 though. I can't balance or keep an LP in tune and VIP-types just don't suit me either. I guess I'll just have to build a mahogany Strat to take it's place...

Firebird said:
Cagey said:

Along with what STDC said. :laughing7:  Someone is playing a kiddie guitar and it sounds good.

There you go.

I remember back when I was just a grasshopper, I was less than thrilled with the guitar I had at the time, which was some sort of Epiphone copy of an ES335. Pretty nice guitar, actually, and I loved it better than my own schwanz at the time, but I was fighting the thing tooth, fang and claw. Couldn't make it do anything that made me happy. For some reason, the local guitar hero took me under his wing and had mercy on me, and showed me a few things. Actually, he mostly pissed me off. He could make that thing sing and dance, which made me realize it's not the instrument, it's the player.

Since then (that was 100 years ago), I've not only seen the same thing happen more than once, I've even done it to other kids myself. They'll be bitching about what a POS they've got, and you grab the thing and beat them up with their own weapon. It's an eye-opener.

Cagey said:
Since then (that was 100 years ago), I've not only seen the same thing happen more than once, I've even done it to other kids myself. They'll be bitching about what a POS they've got, and you grab the thing and beat them up with their own weapon. It's an eye-opener.

I love doing that.  It's a nice balance to all the years I had it done to me - and still do, from time to time.  One of my favorite things is to sit next to some guy holding a $3000 PRS plugged into a Marshall or something, and then to get some really nice tones out of a $99 Squier strat and a $60 Sidekick amp just by doing what comes natural.  One of the guys working at the Guitar Center in my neighborhood wrote down the amp settings so they can reproduce it later.  

Firebird said:
Cagey said:

It's a hardtail, that's why he sounds so awesome :icon_thumright:

Cagey said:
Firebird said:
Cagey said:

There you go.

I remember back when I was just a grasshopper, I was less than thrilled with the guitar I had at the time, which was some sort of Epiphone copy of an ES335. Pretty nice guitar, actually, and I loved it better than my own schwanz at the time, but I was fighting the thing tooth, fang and claw. Couldn't make it do anything that made me happy. For some reason, the local guitar hero took me under his wing and had mercy on me, and showed me a few things. Actually, he mostly pissed me off. He could make that thing sing and dance, which made me realize it's not the instrument, it's the player.

Very true, but we all know, a good guitar makes playing easy.

Back