A third guitar

Jusatele said:
Very true, but we all know, a good guitar makes playing easy.

No question about that. Point is, it's the ability to play that makes the difference, not the guitar. Once you know how to play, you may want something more comfy. And, to be fair, an instrument you have to fight with will hold you back. But, your fingers are where the rubber meets the road. That's where all that delicious tone comes from. Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Jimi Hendrix or Robin Trower don't have magical guitars, amps, or effects, they have magic hands with a lotta miles on them.

Cagey said:
Jusatele said:

No question about that. Point is, it's the ability to play that makes the difference, not the guitar. Once you know how to play, you may want something more comfy. And, to be fair, an instrument you have to fight with will hold you back. But, your fingers are where the rubber meets the road. That's where all that delicious tone comes from. Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Jimi Hendrix or Robin Trower don't have magical guitars, amps, or effects, they have magic hands with a lotta miles on them.

So there is my problem, not many miles on these hands....... there may be hope after all.

Cagey said:
Jusatele said:

I agree.  I used to think that chasing some sort of magical combination would make me sound better.  Then one dayI sat down with a "crappy" guitar that I had when had just started years before.  It was amazing how much better it sounded.  It still had the tuning issues though. :p

My realization came when I had been playing for about 10 years, I was still in highschool and my older brother came home with an SG, At the time I was on m second electric guitar, I had traded my Mustang for a Jap LP Jr copy because Leslie West Played one. Well anyway I played the SG and I was like "WOW", I could hear tone that I was not getting from the Jap Copy. By next week I owned my first Tele, and they were all American Teles back then, Once I got the Tele I started playing my fingers off every night, not watching TV at all and in about 6 months I was squeezing great tone out of the LP also. I think the Tele forced me (such a thin tone) to hit notes right, no just behind this fret, but in tune behind the fret and to bend to tone not just bend. I also soon traded the Jap LP Jr Copy for a gold top (remember when they were the Cheapest LP you could get, with P90s and feel in love with the P90 tone. Al my friends were looking for that fat tone of humbuckers, I was looking for a fat single coil sound.

But what happens is the ear open up to tone, playing the SG opened mine, I heard the sound I heard guys on Vinyl doing and found I could do that, so when I went searching for that Tele sound I loved, it was easy to find. Before that I had just accepted what I was given.

That hello kitty guitar is totally a metal guitar. Hardtail bridge, one humbucker, one volume, no bullshit. Unless you count the pickguard, that's as metal as it gets (the inclusion of a pickguard, not the shape.)

kboman said:
I have a LP clone (Hagström Swede)
I need something hollow/semi hollow/335-ish
I need a guitar with a whammy bridge.

Str*ts are utterly useless guitars to me in general. How they've become popular is beyond me.

I feel better now having read this. Spot on- boring as hell.

1. Gotta have an LP

2. Something tuned low, preferably mahogany, with some EMGs in it

3. A tele of some sort, maybe a strat, alder, single coils. ANd strats only make sense if you have a good one

This is assuming acoustic doesn't count. If it does, you've got a problem

Back