A guitar for a lifetime.~ My seafoam green/ canary neck stratocaster is done!!!

Surf n Music

I always dreamt of owning a strat. The only thing is I would look at them and think I wish it would have this or that was different so I am building one the way I want. I'm going to document my build here. A little story that I am sure many can relate to. I had been dreaming and building and rebuilding the body I wanted on the warmoth site over and over. Then one day I checked out the new bodies they had made and there was the exact body I had built so many times before so I bought it  :hello2: :hello2:. Now I am just waiting for it to be delivered. Here is a pic of it from their website. I will update as parts come in.

Attachments

• guitar.PNG
    guitar.PNG
    662 KB · Views: 83
Wow, that's such a specific body for them to have had - what a stroke of luck!  Looks very nice.  What is the core wood? 

You're really gonna love the way that natural binding sets off the Fender color...just wait and see--it turns a cool finish into something really special!

hannaugh said:
Wow, that's such a specific body for them to have had - what a stroke of luck!  Looks very nice.  What is the core wood?

I wondered if they have a way of seeing what people built on the builder page cause really I built this exact body about 30 time  :icon_biggrin: The body is ash on ash. I am getting ready to order the neck today. I have decided on canary. I want a raw neck and like the light colors. Now the waiting begins.

Great Ape said:
You're really gonna love the way that natural binding sets off the Fender color...just wait and see--it turns a cool finish into something really special!

Ya just from the pics it looks so good but I'm sure it is going to be even better in my hands :hello2: Yay my dream guitar with an f hole and everything.

That's going to look very nice I think. What do you have planned for the neck and hardware etc ?

stratamania said:
That's going to look very nice I think. What do you have planned for the neck and hardware etc ?

Well I just ordered the neck. It is gonna be a bit before I get it But I got a canary on canary. I did a custom build and chose the lightest color fretboard they had. Originally I was going to go maple but a raw neck just sounded to good. I hope it looks good. Other then that all is ordered. I have a chrome gotoh wilkinson vz 100 tremelo. It looked like it is more polished then chrome though but I kind of liked that so jack plate is nickle along with the strap buttons. I got a parchment pickguard and I am doing dual humbuckes. I got seymours in zebra. I found some canary wood guitar knobs but I haven't bought them yet. I'm not sure if it will look good. Just got a message the body is in the mail :toothy10:

stratamania said:
Ok, keep the pics coming...

Will do! Should have everything minus the neck and tuners by this weekend... then the wait for the custom neck  :sad: I hope it takes 5 weeks and not 8.

Nice choices. You're going to love that Canary/Canary neck. the guitar in my sig is a Canary/Canary part, and it's super-sweet. I strongly recommend you burnish the thing - makes a very positive difference.

Cagey said:
Nice choices. You're going to love that Canary/Canary neck. the guitar in my sig is a Canary/Canary part, and it's super-sweet. I strongly recommend you burnish the thing - makes a very positive difference.

Great idea and topic. It is done and I am sure I got some crappy movies around here. Nice guitar and beautiful neck! Since mine will already have frets installed do you think I might be able to create a small sanding block and polish each piece if my fret board individually? It would be tedious but I could go with the grain then and get close to the frets.

I wanna say no because you need to get over the fret slots to do it right, and you just can't do that if the frets are already installed. On the other hand, anything you do to smooth out the wood is a Good Thing, so even if it's not perfect it's better than nothing. Feels good to play.

Did you get stainless? So it will hold for a lifetime I mean  :icon_biggrin:

Cederick said:
Did you get stainless? So it will hold for a lifetime I mean  :icon_biggrin:

Yep I got the stainless :toothy11: Every time I think of savin $20 dollars here n there I remind myself this is the guitar I have always wanted and then opt for the better part  :laughing7: It shows the body is delivered so I should have her in my hands in a couple hours. I will post pics of all I got so far!

Well I got a good portion of it. All that is left to get is tuners, control knobs and the neck (which is on order) Here is a pic of the goodies and a little mock up pick. At least I get to break out the soldering gun and have a little fun while I wait  :hello2:

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Yeah, no reason to not get stainless steel frets for that little, considering that Warmoth necks rarely even need any fretwork for working playability when setup (at least my two didn't need any)

Yeah, stainless frets from Warmoth have to be the bargain of the century. But, realistically, they're not the pain in ass some techs would have you believe. I mean, if you've got junk tools, then yeah. They can be a problem. But if you have the right tools, there's nothing tough about them. In some ways, they're easier. They work a bit slower due to their hardness, so you can't destroy them so easily.

All right so a little progress was made. Got all my wiring done  :headbang: :headbang: That feels good. Here is a pic of my ground wire to the back of the tremolo plate, the tremolo plate installed, the pickguard all wired up and the pickguard in place. I haven't drilled holes for the pickguard yet but I think I will wait for the neck to make sure the neck bolts on straight and then align the pickguard. Having so much fun with it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    451.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 17
It's starting to come together. A question on the  bridge humbucker shouldn't it be the other way around ?

Back