A guitar for a lifetime.~ My seafoam green/ canary neck stratocaster is done!!!

Oh yes, that is very nice indeed. Waiting for a piece of canary myself and I'll consider myself very fortunate if it's anything like as nice as that.

Cagey said:
No finish on Canary. Speeds things up considerably. Actually, he probably should have gotten it quicker. The Canary neck on the L5S below shipped in 3 weeks.
3 weeks!? The world is so unjust  :laughing7: I had to wait a whole extra week, I should get compensation for my suffering and mental health!

Fat Pete said:
Oh yes, that is very nice indeed. Waiting for a piece of canary myself and I'll consider myself very fortunate if it's anything like as nice as that.
I was a little worried with dropping the money and not fully knowing what I would get. I chose the fretboard but had no clue what the neck body would look like. I wrote them a note asking to try n match colors as best as they could. I am supper stoked on the end result. I put it in the neck pocket of my guitar just to see how it looked and I must say canary looks great with seafoam green!  :icon_thumright: At least that is my opinion. Can't wait to see yours. I bet it will be awesome!!

A little more progress. After much elbow grease and a reading of Cagey's thread I got a shinny neck. Also got my tunners in and no broken screws =)!! Now for mounting the neck...

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 21
Her is one pic, more to come. All the set up is done and she sounds great and feels so good. I look foward to a life time of playing!!! :cool01:

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 17
More pics.
015.jpg
013.jpg
008.jpg
005.jpg
003.jpg

Cagey said:
Nice job! Good match-up on the parts. Are you loving that Canary?
Just played for two hours and I love it. I have always played acoustic or maybe a electric every now and then at a store and I can't believe how amazing a raw neck is. My amp will be here tomorrow so I played unplugged and it sounds bright and has tones of sustain. I can't believe guitar companies haven't caught on to how good these are.

Surf n Music said:
I can't believe guitar companies haven't caught on to how good these are.

I suspect they know, but the more scarce woods like that are probably difficult to get in the quantities they need for production work on the scale they need. North America is loaded with Maple trees, but Canary? Not so much.

Thanks, but credit really goes to Tonar. He's a man of few words, so I just wrote it up after following his lead.

Cagey said:
Thanks, but credit really goes to Tonar. He's a man of few words, so I just wrote it up after following his lead.
Well kudos to Tonar, often the quiet ones are full of knowledge. Hey on the neck setup I pulled it out of the box and checked it and it was already flat like the instructions suggest.  Being so I bolted her up with no adjustment and set the bridge and intonation and it is perfect.  Is that normal for these necks? Pretty darn nice.

Yeah, they generally show up in pretty good shape. Not perfect, but close enough for rock 'n' roll and usually better than many OEM necks.

I'm surprised you like it flat, though. You might be able to get your action a tad closer and your tone a bit more clear if there was some relief to it. I sometimes set necks up flat, usually by mistake, then have to relieve them to clarify them. A flat neck with perfect frets will set up nice and close, but the strings will sound a bit dead unless you're playing through a high-gain amp or are playing so fast that sustain isn't an issue. They don't "buzz" like a high fret will, but the strings are so close that they can't vibrate freely.

Cagey said:
Yeah, they generally show up in pretty good shape. Not perfect, but close enough for rock 'n' roll and usually better than many OEM necks.

I'm surprised you like it flat, though. You might be able to get your action a tad closer and your tone a bit more clear if there was some relief to it. I sometimes set necks up flat, usually by mistake, then have to relieve them to clarify them. A flat neck with perfect frets will set up nice and close, but the strings will sound a bit dead unless you're playing through a high-gain amp or are playing so fast that sustain isn't an issue. They don't "buzz" like a high fret will, but the strings are so close that they can't vibrate freely.
Well it said to have the neck right at flat before installing. I ran 11's which are pretty thick so I figured that would give me a little relief with the tension from the strings. I played every note and there is no fret buzz. I put a capo on the first fret and set string height at a hair under 1.5mm. It seems low and fast... at least compared to my acoustics. Being my first electric I was kinda shooting in the dark a bit. 

Congratulations on the finished axe.

Perhaps give it a week or two and then look at final adjustments.

stratamania said:
Congratulations on the finished axe.

Perhaps give it a week or two and then look at final adjustments.
Good point. Let things settle with the string/spring tension and give her another go through. Didn't cross my mind. Thanks  :icon_biggrin:

Back