80's strat ( now with real pix)

Hey stratplayer1, congrats on the nice piece of instrument you've got there! Could you please share with us the source you got the neck from? What makes me think it is not from Warmoth is the shape of the fretboard after the 22nd fret - it is very square-ish on your pictures, whereas most (of not all) Warmoth necks I've seen have rather rounded fretboards at the heel. Or is an option from Warmoth that I do not know of? Thank you.

I'm planning a one humbucker Candy Tangerine Charvel-style guitar.  I want it top mounted with a single-ply black pickguard, black hardware, all maple neck, schaller M-6 mini tuners, OFR, and a Duncan Distortion pickup.  I've got my eye on a couple showcase bodies (including a Candy Purple one) that might work.  The inspiration came from pictures of Charvel guitars from a recent NAMM show I saw on their MySpace profile.  They're calling that particular configuration a San Dimas model, I think.  So, I thought...I bet I can build one with Warmoth parts a lot cheaper!  You beat me to it!!!  Excellent! :headbang1:

Hah yeah man charvel definitely influenced mine although I went with two pups just for the added versatility, sound like it will be a sick guitar though man. Cant wait for ya to get it done and show some pix  :laughing7:

Zann: It is a warmoth neck, one reason for that difference might be that it is a 24 3/4 conversion neck as opposed to their regular 25 1/2 scale, They add an extra fret, so my guitar has 22 frets instead of 21 and the extra fret hangs over the pick guard, so im 99% sure thats what it is. If it were a normal rounded end it would be ontop of my neck pup.

Dude, that is such a sweet ass color.....Excellent job....That's a smoking hot strat....

Only one thing I see that is amiss. And that's the floyd rout, needs some color. It sticks out like a sore thumb...

Yeah im thinking some of that black foam stuff, as someone else mentioned earlier, but if you have a better suggestion im all ears

glad you dig it man, I was pretty skeptical at first and it seems that everyone (including myself) like it, doesnt get any better than that

stratplayer1 said:
Yeah im thinking some of that black foam stuff, as someone else mentioned earlier, but if you have a better suggestion im all ears

glad you dig it man, I was pretty skeptical at first and it seems that everyone (including myself) like it, doesnt get any better than that
You might look around and see if you can find that metallic tangerine in like automotive paint. Duplicolor makes a assload of colors. If not then flat black....

I would have never picked the candy tangerine finish reading it, but that looks great!  Sweet man, really.

hmm ill have to check that out id be pretty concerned about a perfect match though, im picky about that kinda stuff

stratplayer1 said:
Zann: It is a warmoth neck, one reason for that difference might be that it is a 24 3/4 conversion neck as opposed to their regular 25 1/2 scale

Ah, that must be it! Thanks for the reply, it surely cleared things up. This square bottom of the fretboard looks killer! I wish Warmoth offered it as option on all their necks :)

Sure thing Zann I like to be as helpful as I can  :laughing7: Btw I definitely agree I like the square end more than a rounded one but hey I didn't need that option so It worked out perfectly for me

Damn, that's a beautiful guitar. The tangerine finish is simply amazing. Looks like Mick Mars' Strat only in totally different colors. Hope you enjoy it!  :headbang1:

wow i thought this thread was dead,

Kreig, Im not sure what im going to do to the rout, ill probably do something whenever i get around to installing a tremlno, and evh d-tuna.

Very nice build, The quality of the necks and finishes coming out of Warmoth continue to amaze.

hell yeah they do, my maple neck was suposed to be plain it has beautiful characteristics, i couldnt be any more impressed, unless they were giving them away for free  :laughing7:

I was noticing in one of your pics, your Big Toe looks like your longest toe, whereas my 2nd or index toe is my longest toe, Hmmm.....

Oh the guitar is totally bitchen too

yeah its a rare phenomenon, im suprised you didnt comment on the hairy legs, although i suppose they are more common

Funny enough, I keep coming back to this thread once every while. I'm not an 80's glam rock kind of guy, but this guitar is haunting me.  :headbang:
I would be great if you could post pictures when you finish the trem route.

Back